Status: Look out for a COMPLETE relaunch of this story, coming around end December. Same plot line, better writing!

Belle Femme

Chapter 2

"Hiya! I'm Aileen. What's your name?" I turned my head to the side to meet the smile of a friendly looking red headed girl seated next to me.

"Scarlett," I answered, giving her a once over. She was rather pretty. Her red hair was cut in layers framing her oval face beautifully. She sat angled to me, showing off her long legs in short a white dress with a low neckline. Her eyes were a light blue that twinkled devilishly as she proceeded to look me over as well.
"Pretty," she responded happily.

"I'm Haven," interjected a girl with bone straight raven black hair that went well with the long red sweater dress she wore with thigh high black boots.

I smiled, nodding and turned my attention to girl sitting across from her. She met my eyes briefly before responding with a slight smile. "Talia," she said, her voice raspy. She tugged lightly on the long blonde French braid that was draped over her slender shoulder I assumed to loosen it up. She was wearing a mid thigh black dress with a cow neckline and silver chain.

All three girls looked extremely stylish and suddenly I felt embarrassed and childish in the dark blue jeans and plain white t-shirt I wore. I should've listened to my mother when she suggested I wear one of my dresses. I declined since the letter said “Arrive comfortably.”

"Can you believe it you guys?" Aileen exclaimed as she leaned back more at ease in the seat. "We got chosen! My friends were basically dying with envy when I showed them the letter; especially my best friend Gia. I thought green smoke was going to come out her ears,” she announced, giggling.

"Ugh. I know what you mean. When I showed my two older sisters my letter, they barely spoke to me the whole week I got ready. I brushed them off. It's not my fault I got noticed and they didn't," she replied, flipping her long hair over her shoulder.

They looked at Talia and I. I shrugged while Talia went ahead and spoke.
"My family and friends seemed genuinely happy for me. They said I deserved it. I've been attending a school, since I was eight, specializing in training to have a slight edge when it came time for choosing."

I raised an eyebrow. "They have schools specialized in training?" I asked curiously. I never heard of that. I thought the after school training mandated at every school was the only thing offered.
Talia nodded. "Oh yes. Englewood. It's a very small school and very expensive. Only thirty girls are enrolled each year. Five girls are always selected from our school when it comes down to selection. That's impressive since some schools never have any girls chosen. The headmistress is quite close to Leader Shrine. She provides her help."

Haven clicked her tongue. "A school specialized in training huh? I thought the training offered at my school was more than enough."

Talia smiled. "Well, I was up for anything that increased my chances.”
Haven and Aileen nodded understandably while I brushed my hair out of my face.
"Well, maybe with all the extra training you had it's probably more likely you'll be paired with a General," Aileen said. Her eyes took on a dreamy look." The only thing better than being a Belle Femme is being the wife to a General, they are truly the most glamorous people I've ever seen."
"That would be nice," Haven agreed. "But I'll just be happy being married to a soldier. It's basically the same thing; you're just not quite as famous as a General Belle Femme."

Haven and Aileen continued to converse while I sat quietly. I was afraid to interject since it was obvious I was the only one in the car who didn't see it as a blessing. I could tell quickly Talia wasn't much for conversation, for she didn't speak much either. But it was obvious from her earlier statements how important this was to her.

The limo stopped several times to pick up six more girls. They all jumped in happily and introduced themselves to the girls already inside. I smiled and introduced myself right back when spoken too. I listened to conversation that milled around; disappointed that no one seemed to share my same opinion about this craziness.

An hour rolled by as the conversation continued in the car excitedly. The majority of the new girls had on dresses but I was happy to see two other girls had on jeans as well, even though they were dressy jeans.

The limo then pulled to a long stop. With that, we all knew we had arrived to Leader's Court and were waiting to be checked in at the gate. The Court was where the majority of the soldiers lived along with all the Generals and of course Leader Shrine and his family. After a few minutes the limo began to trudge along as we entered. The car got silent as the mansions in the Court whizzed by us. We had all already seen the Court on TV but to actually be in the Court was a different experience.
The limo made another stop and door was opened moments later. We filed out quietly, too nervous to speak. When I got out I looked around and noticed the four other limos behind us. Girls were getting out them just as quietly as we took in the scene before us.

The Leader's castle stood proudly before us truly taking our breath away. From what I learned about the castle in class, I knew it took up an incredible 10 acres of land and had over 500 rooms. The castle had three outdoor pools and two indoor, four gyms, eight kitchens and dining rooms, five ballrooms, and many living and den areas.
We looked up at red brick in awe and breathed in the scent from beautiful flowers that surrounded its walls when a booming voice snapped us out of it.

"Ladies! Welcome to the Leader's Castle! Please come on in!" said an attractive middle aged, curly brown haired woman with black framed glasses. She was wearing a black suit, striped in a dull pink and smiled encouragingly at us as we entered the foyer. We walked through the massive double doors and all that was heard was the echoes of girls heels as they tapped along inside.

The foyer was remarkable. The ceiling was arched and high, captivating us as we stared at the decoration and artwork that filled the walls. The floor was waxed and when I looked down I could basically see myself in it.

“Ladies, my name is Nadine Nieves.," she said once we all were standing in the foyer. "I am the head adviser of the Belle Femme’s. Congratulations on being chosen. We here, at the court, are very proud of each and every one of you. We know every young lady in here has something exceedingly special to bring to our brave men. Now before the dinner tonight we must get you all dressed and prepared. Now if you all will follow me we will begin the process.” With that she turned and began walking down the entrance hall. She led us up a broad stairway and continued down a long hallway.

“This place is fucking insane. Pardon my French,” Aileen whispered in my ear. “But that’s the only way I can think to describe it.” I stifled a giggle. Of course language like that from a budding Belle Femme was never allowed. But hell, we still are seventeen.

Nadine stopped just as we were about to reach another staircase and turned left. A short hallway led us to mahogany double doors which she opened.
I sucked in a sharp breath as we entered one the ballrooms. The pictures in the books were not close to doing any of this place justice. The room was a brilliant white with another high arched ceiling. It was adorned beautifully in gold with pictures of past leaders on the sides. The large chandelier in middle was massive and twinkled as we gawked at it. I wish my parents could see this.
When I stopped and finally took a good look I noticed the room was filled with dresses, make up stations, hair stations, and people dressed in purple scrubs standing next to these things.

“This is the White Ballroom,” Nadine announced, standing in front of us. “Over the course of your six month stay in the castle this is where we will meet for group meetings and such. You will be meeting your husbands tonight promptly at six for dinner and mingling with drinks in the Golden Ballroom afterward. These people here will help you get ready for tonight. When you are finished we will take you to your rooms where you will find your luggage. You should put what you can away. As your stay progresses you will find you will no longer really have a need for those clothes since we will provide you with a more appropriate wardrobe. You may keep all the clothes provided if your husband accepts you as his wife. But no need to worry about that, the soldier that fits your unique personality the most is who you’ll be placed with. Compati- ” Nadine was cut off when a woman appeared and began whispering to her.

Now, I know what you’re most likely thinking. “Scarlett, why were you making such a big deal of this? Just annoy your husband so much he won’t accept you. There. I solved your problem.”

Uh, no. I wish it was that easy. A huge taboo and mystery in our nation was being a rejected Belle Femme. Those girls were taken away to some unknown place and never heard from again. No one knows for sure what happens to them. There were rumors they were used as test dummies for technology purposes, sent away to some concentration type camp, or even turned into sex slaves. Yeah, I know ridiculous. The only thing that is ever heard from them is a letter sent to their families exactly one month after the rejection. I saw one, when I eleven, at what time a family friends daughter got rejected.
It read, “I was not accepted as a wife. Please forgive me but I must get away in this time of sadness and humiliation. Give me room to grieve and please don’t bother contacting me. I love and miss you.” They haven’t heard from her since.

Not being accepted was uncommon though. Out of the whole fifty years of Belle Femme’s only a known forty- one girls have been rejected. It was a scary thing, not knowing where you would end up. The Court would just say they were being taken care of, that’s it. That’s one thing I’m not a brave enough to find out. I’m stubborn but nowhere near a bad ass.

Nadine cleared her throat to capture our attention again.

“Excuse me ladies for there is something I must take care of. My assistant Cecilia, will help spread you into groups and I will check in again later.” She flashed a quick smile and went out a side door. We faced her assistant Cecilia, who was short and rather chubby. Her highlighted blonde hair was cut pixie style which didn’t go well with her round face shape. However, the white blouse and black slacks she wore did help her figure, to say something positive.

She gave a smirk and started shouting orders.
“If your last name starts with an A all the way to M, please go to the hair style section. N to Z, will go to nail stations. When you have completed both, go start on your make-up and receive your dress. When everything is done, you will be escorted to your rooms.”

“What does your last name begin with?” Aileen asked.

“D for Demsely,” I replied.

She smiled, “Good we’re in the same group. Mine starts with an M for Mable.” She swung her arm through mine and when strolled to the hair station where the professionals began to work their magic. As I sat there I closed my eyes and prayed for at least of tolerable husband in this nightmare.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Still moving kind of slow, I know I know. But everything written so far is crucial to the whole story and background. Hoped you enjoyed it and thanks for reading!