Status: Look out for a COMPLETE relaunch of this story, coming around end December. Same plot line, better writing!

Belle Femme

Chapter 4

The whole dinner Walker continued to make rude, unnecessary comments and it took all the strength in me to hold my tongue. Walker could tell and that only seemed to amuse him more.

Cedric seemed to stand guard the whole time waiting for me to step out of line which helped me stay quiet. However, despite the bad conversation, dinner was delicious and ran smoothly. Throughout, I couldn't help myself but direct my eyes in the direction of Dex more than a few times, who seemed to pointedly ignore me and kept his interest on Talia.
Maybe I imagined him gazing at me before dinner. Maybe he was actually looking at her…no he wasn't. The look in his eyes as he stared into mine was something I couldn't imagine. It happened.

As we finished off our dessert, Nadine entered the dining room with Cecilia attached at her side. Nadine smiled brightly at us as Cedric approached and began whispering to her. Her smile faltered slightly and she switched her eyes to me in return I turned mine down to my empty dessert bowl.
"Well, I hope everyone enjoyed dinner. We are ready for you in the ballroom," Nadine announced after a few moments.
We stood and Walker offered me his arm which I unwillingly roped mine into.

"I suggest you perk up, dear Scarlett.," Walker said as we walked. "You were entertaining through dinner but I won't stand for your attitude when we talk with Leader Shrine. I don't want him to think I can't handle some woman."

"My attitude has been quite well I believe, considering your unneeded remarks," I retorted.

He chuckled. "Don't get it warped Scarlett. I can make all the comments in the world. It pleases me to say those things. And you were chosen specifically to please me. That's what a Belle Femme is."
My free hand started balling in a fist. "I'm no imbecile. I've heard this plenty in school. I don't need it repeated," I spoke softly.
He leaned down to whisper in my ear. "Then straighten up."
I closed my eyes the rest of the way, trying to think positive thoughts; anything to keep me from slapping Walker and making a run for it.

We arrived in to the Gold Ballroom and it stunned me to see how beautiful it was. Everything shined and twinkled magnificently as if it were all made of pure gold. Large round tables filled the floor adorned with fresh red roses as centerpieces. A small concert band was seated up in the balcony seats, overlooking us as they played. The chandelier in White Ballroom didn't hold a candlestick to this one. This one was colossal and looked like a piece of artwork in itself. I noticed in the back wall there was a large black oval hole cut out where a golden throne sat with a smaller one at its side. A light shined brightly over making the seats and steps, that led to it, easily seen.

Walker escorted me to our seats where five other girls and their men were already seated.
"Would you like something to drink?" Walker asked me as I sat down. I nodded. I would be grateful for the short break.
Him along with another guy left to go get the beverages, and the other guy's lady began speaking to me.

"Aren't they wonderful? We've only known them for a couple short hours and already I'm falling in love," she said blissfully. I smiled and I assumed she took that as an agreement for she continued to blabber on until they got back.
I resisted the urge to gulp my drink down quickly. I could use the effects of alcohol right now.
We chatted awhile with the other couples at the table as more people entered the room. Walker was now more interested in conversations with his soldier buddies so the dialogue between us was minimal.

Finally, the doors closed and the band changed their music to our nation's anthem. All the people at the tables rose as we watched Leader Shrine and his wife walk from the side doors and up the steps unhurriedly to their seats.

When they were seated, the band finished out playing and Leader Shrine stood to greet us.
"Welcome my children! Please sit!" he boomed happily. We sat quickly. "How glad I am seeing you all here tonight. I'm so excited to speak to everyone but first I would like to introduce the new Generals and their Belle Femmes'. These men are the most important in my army and so, of course, their women are also extremely important to me. I would love for them to be recognized. So men would you and hopefully your new brides please come to the steps." Three men stood in the front and with their Belle Femme at their side. They walked up to steps and faced us. I reeled back, surprised, when I saw Dex and Talia standing on the steps.
It made sense that he was a General. That explained why he wore the pin that none of the other guys wore.

Once they stood facing us, Leader Shrine launched back at it.
"These fine young men here with their hard work and dedication moved up in the ranks. Our beloved country of Bouvardia is thankful to have such unselfish and patient men in our country. For we all know to be considered a General you must wait before receiving your wife to focus on more thorough training. They've waited and finally they've received what they've been craving for and have been rewarded with these beautiful women. Introducing, Crayton and Isabel, Dex and Talia, and Jaiden and Rose. How glad we are to have you."

Claps erupted and I slowly brought mine together so I wouldn't stand out.
The band started playing again after that and the three couples stayed to have their conversation with Leader Shrine.

"I couldn't imagine not applying for my Belle Femme when I could," stated the guy who went with Walker to get drinks, I later learned his name was Xander.
"Wait an extra three years to just train with the hopes you become one? No thanks. I would love the title but I wouldn't be able to handle the work. I can barely handle what we do now." The guys at the table, laughed in agreement.

The night continued to move by gradually as Leader Shrine finally begin meeting with all the other soldiers and their chosen one. When it was our turn Walker again whispered warning in my ear, "Be good."
I rolled my shoulders back and smiled as we stepped in front of Leader Shrine and his wife, Miss Serena. His wife was always stunning from the pictures I've seen of her. She was always wearing the new fashions and new hairstyles and looked rather young just to be forty years old. Her light brown hair was pulled up into an elegant bun and she wore a long purple ball gown matching her husband's clothes. Her husband also looked moderately well at seventy years old. He kept in shape and his graying hair dyed black so it was only the few deep wrinkles in face that gave his age away.

Their eyes widened when they saw us approached and Miss Serena leaned forward, her bright green eyes looking at me with wonder. When we reached the front of the steps Walker began to speak. "Good evening Leader Shrine and Miss Serena. I would like to introduce you to Scarlett." He gently pushed me ahead and I bowed deeply in front of them.
When I straightened up, I noticed Miss Serena had stood and gathered me in her arms embracing me tightly to her chest. I was frozen, not knowing what to do. She hadn't hugged the rest of the girls that approached her.

She held onto me for a few moments until Leader Shrine cleared his throat loudly. "Serena, let her go. Now."

She immediately released me and sat back down but she continued to focus on me, a look of hidden pride in her eyes.
Leader Shrine eyed me wearily as he shook Walker's hand.
"Hello, Walker. Nice seeing you again. Scarlett, what a pleasure to meet you, I've heard a lot about you."

I smiled. "It's an honor to be in your company Leader and Miss. Thank you for choosing me."
Leader Shrine leaned back in his seat. "You're welcome. But it's comical you say that since I've also heard of your opposition to being a Belle Femme."

My eyebrows came together, confused. I haven't expressed any of my thoughts with anyone here about that. Could Nadine have already said something about the way I interacted with Walker earlier? Was I that obvious?
"No, Leader Shrine. I'm appreciative of this opportunity. I can assure you," I lied.

"Hopefully you're telling the truth because some people really pulled hard for you to get here. I wouldn't want them to be disappointed. Would you?" he asked.
I was clearly lost on this whole conversation. No one came to mind that seriously wanted me here other than my mom and she didn't have anywhere near that type of power to get me here.
"This must be some type of scare antic," I thought. I shook my head.
"Good. Well, Serena and I have plenty more couples to meet with. We will see you both soon," Leader Shrine concluded.

Walker nodded, shaking his hand again while I bowed another time.
Miss Serena gave a small smile as we turned and descended down the steps. I wondered what made her act so oddly.
We returned to our table and I continued sipping on my drink, enjoying the much needed warmth it provided.
"You seem to be enjoying the wine rather well," Walker observed when I set the empty glass down.
I hiccuped. "I've only had a few glasses."
Walker pushed his glass towards me. "Would you like mine?"
"No thank you."
"You spoke well in front of Leader Shrine," Walker stated, picking the glass up and gulping the rest of it down.
I rolled my eyes. "I know how to act like a lady Walker. I think you forget that I went to classes especially for that."
"No love, I remember. I just realize that you're not like the rest. I love a challenge though."
I hiccuped again. "What's the challenge? I'm already yours."
He smirked. "But you don't want to be. I can tell by the way you react to me. You're attitude is quite sexy in certain settings. I wonder how it will act out in the bedroom."

I bit my lip and leaned over to whisper in his ear. "I react this way to you because you're an arrogant ass."
He laughed and muttered right back at me. "Don't forget, I'm the one who decides whether to keep you around or not. You're humorous right now but I may not feel that way in the near future. I advise you to keep that in mind."

I held my breath and pushed my chair back, I asked "May I be excused to the restroom?"

"Of course, I'll be here when you get back," Walker said smiling, standing as I stood.
I made my way out of the ballroom, pushing past the couples who decided to dance. I had to get out of here.
Rushing to the girls' restroom, I collapsed against the large marble sink, fanning myself trying to catch my breath.

I couldn't handle this. Walker was completely intolerable and this was just the first night! Tears sprung into my eyes as I imagined spending the rest of my life with him, laying next to him every night, having to be…physical with him. No, I didn't want my innocence lost to such a pig even if he were to be my future husband. My chest began to beat harder in fear as I thought of him actually rejecting me . God, no. That would be as worst thing that could happen, and I wouldn't put it pass him. He was right. If I didn't keep him happy, he would get simply decline me and I would wander off to the unknown possibly never seeing my family or friends again. I had to get myself together.

I grabbed a tissue and dotted at my eyes to conceal the evidence of my crying. When I had calmed down, I exited the restroom swiftly, promptly hitting someone when I heard a loud thump of something hitting the floor.
"Oh my! I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" I asked nervously as I leaned down to a man who held his face in his hands.
"Yes, I believe so," he spoke as tilted his head up out of his hands. My breath caught when I met with those familiar gray eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Just in case someone was wondering the same thing, this story is set in modern times and the country of Bouvardia is a fictional place. Anyway, hoped you enjoyed it. : ) Leave feedback please and constructive criticism is always welcomed! I do this to help my writing and entertain, so it would be great if you informed me of your thoughts on it so far. Thanks for reading!