Status: Look out for a COMPLETE relaunch of this story, coming around end December. Same plot line, better writing!

Belle Femme

Chapter 5

“I’m s-s-sorry. I wasn’t thinking that someone might be walking th-through,” I stuttered apologetically again.
His eyes narrowed curiously for a second then he smiled, showing off a dimple in his right cheek that I didn’t notice before. I swallowed nervously.
“It’s alright, just took me by surprise as you can see,” he spoke as he stood himself up. My legs seemed locked in that crouched position and all I could was look up at him. He reached down, offering to help me up. Slowly, I took it, enjoying the warmth as his hand enveloped mine.
“Yes,” I laughed timidly. “Of course. If some str- strange person knocked me down, I would be taken by surprise as well.”

I mentally kicked myself. All this stuttering was not making me come off calm, sexy and collected. Suddenly, I regret all the glasses of wine I drank. He probably thinks I have some type of speech impediment.

He grinned. “Funny. Strange isn’t the word that comes to mind as I look at you.”
He took my hand again and brought it to his lips quickly. “I’m Dex and you are?”
“Scarlett,” I whispered, flustered.
“Beautiful name. It’s fitting,” he responded.
“Thank you,” I said, smiling.
His lips parted, obviously to say something else when a voice filled the hallway.
“Dex! There you are! Leader Shrine would like to have another word with you.”
I leaned my head to the side as Dex looked over his shoulder to get a look at whoever interrupted and noticed it was another one of the chosen Generals tonight, Clayton, I think his name was.
“I’ll be right there.” Dex answered. Clayton nodded, glancing at me, and headed back. Dex returned his attention to me.
“Would you like me to escort you back to the ballroom?” he asked, politely.
I nodded and twined my arm around his. As we walked, I glimpsed back up at his face.

“Are you sure you’re alright? The door did hit you rather hard.”
“I’m fine, honestly. It’s humorous when I think about it because here I am, one of the new Generals, supposedly one of the best, and a door takes me down.” He chuckled and I couldn’t help but grin.
‘Well your guard can’t be up all the time.”
“True, it’s what I get for not paying attention, I could have avoided it but my mind was wandering off thinking of other things,” he said as he glanced back down at me.
“Same thing happens to me. My mother always tells me to keep my head out of the clouds,” I responded. “My mind has been pretty crowded lately with all this excitement.”
He nodded. “Being a Belle Femme must be pretty exciting you.”
I grimaced. “I suppose,” I stated as we neared the ballroom.
He noticed. “Is there something I’m missing?”
“Let’s just say I’m not quite as enthused as the rest of the girls with this whole thing.”
His eyebrows came together in confusion. “Why?”
“I would answer you question but I’m pretty sure Leader Shrine doesn’t want to be kept waiting,” I said as we stopped in front of the double doors.
“Oh yes. Right. Well, it was a pleasure meeting you Scarlett.” Dex removes his arm from mine as I respond.
“Same to you General Dex.”
He smiles, once again showing off that adorable dimple. “Please Scarlett, I prefer you just call me Dex.” He paused, hesitating, before speaking again.
“Hopefully we’ll be able to continue our conversation soon. I’m curious to know what you meant by what you said.”
I nod slowly. “Of course. It would be rude of me to leave your question unanswered.”
Dex opens the door for me where everything is in full swing. People are dancing while some stay seated as they continue talking to their chosen one.

Leading me to my table, we find Walker sitting alone, downing another glass of wine. He smiles lazily and stands as we approach.
“Scarlett, I’ve missed you. I was wondering what was taking you so long.” I take a seat and Walker pushes his hand out towards Dex.
“Congratulations General Dex. I haven’t had to chance to properly show you my congrats.”
Dex raises his eyebrows and gave his hand a quick shake. “Thank you. With all the work I’ve put in, I’m glad it’s finally paid off. Now if you’ll excuse me, Leader Shrine waits to speak with me.”

Walker sat once Dex walked away.
“He thinks he’s such a big shot,” Walker scoffs as he takes another sip of his wine.
“The only reason he became a General was because Leader Shrine favors him. In my opinion he couldn’t lead a dog on a leash. I could have been a General but I was too anxious to be with my Belle Femme. I couldn’t put you off any longer than I had too.”
I titled my head away from him and rolled my eyes.
“Why was he walking you to the table anyway Scarlett?” Walker asks me, suspiciously.
I licked my lips and put on my best “I’m so innocent smile.”
“I got lost in the hallways and he helped me find my way back.”

“What a gentleman,” Walker states as he finishes his glass.
“Would you like to dance?” he asks as stands again his hand already out to take mine.
I don’t answer and just proceed to take his hand, seeing as he answered for me as he leads me to the dance floor as couples sway back and forth.
I wrap my arms around his neck and lay my head on his chest, surprised when I smell the hint of smoke
“You smoke Walker?” I ask, looking up him.
Walker twirls me closer to middle, where there is more room, and answers my question.

“I enjoy a cigar every now and again, yes.”
“I thought soldiers weren’t allowed to smoke. How do you get them?”
He smirks. “They’re easy to come by. I’m far from the only one. This job is stressful; it helps you continue to trek along.”
“Does Leader Shrine have any idea?” I continue to ask, frowning a little as Walker hands travel lower down my back.
When he hears that he laughs quietly. “Oh Scarlett, Leader Shrine is aware of everything that goes on his court. He doesn’t mind really, as long as we don’t smoke so much it affects our physical health.”
“Then why bother with the rule? It’s nowhere near scandalous.”
“It’s just something the public is told. Every step is covered to make sure that we soldiers look as if we “do no wrong”, including something as small as smoking.”
I looked at him quizzically. “Apparently not. You must know of the tales of abuse some Belle Femmes endure. The public is well aware of those.”
He smiles. “Does anyone believe them as far as you know?”
I frown. “Not really.”
“Exactly. Why would they? We’re the perfect gentleman. There’s a lot of stuff the public doesn’t know about what soldiers do behind closed doors Scarlett, it’s not like they would anyway if someone bothered to let it out.”
“Care to elaborate?” I asked.
He pulled me closer to him; I had no choice but to once more lay my head on his shoulder.
“It’s nothing you need to worry about my dear Scarlett. Nothing at all.”

I stopped talking after that, getting the feeling Walker was done speaking on it.
We continued to dance to the ballroom music for awhile. I cringed slightly as Walker ran his hands up and down my back.
After a while Walker began to speak again.
“You smell amazing Scarlett. How I wish I was able to take you right now.”
I sucked in a deep breath. After the gathering in the ballroom tonight, everyone was required to return back to their rooms. There was to be no extra togetherness on the first night of meeting. I was grateful for the rule.
“Sorry. They’ll be none of that,” I responded pulling his arms back up as they threatened to go lower.
He leaned down to whisper in my ear, “At least not tonight.”

After that the music stopped and Leader Shrine voice once again boomed throughout the Gold Ballroom.
“My soldiers and their Belle Femme’s, the night is growing late, so it’s decided that everyone return back to their room.” Soft groans of protest answered in response.
Leader Shrine laughed. “No need for that. You’ll see each other tomorrow and have a whole six months to get to know each other better. Thank you all for a lovely evening and see you soon.”
Walker releases his hold on me and we walk away from the floor, exiting the ballroom behind other couples.
When we reach the end of the hallway where we go separate ways, Walker turned toward me. “Well this is goodnight Scarlett. I’ll see you tomorrow after my training.”
I nod and my hand is kissed in farewell.

“Goodnight Walker,” I said and turned down the hallway which leads to my room.
I make my way back to the room and see Haven already laid in her bed, dressed out of her formal clothes into her sleepwear.
“Haven!” I exclaimed. “What are you doing back to the room so early?”
Haven peers at my over her knees, where a notebook lays as she writes with pen in her hand.
“Jonathan said he wasn’t feeling well, so we turned in early. He said it would make it up to me tomorrow.”
I sat at the end of her bed. “So, how we he?”
Haven ran her pen across her lips. “Great. Nicest guy I’ve ever met. He just seemed….” she broke off towards the end.
“Seemed what?” I asked.
Haven shook her head. “Nothing. He was wonderful.” Haven then smiles at me. “What about your guy?”
I shrugged. “Fine.”
I didn’t want to tell Haven about how I really felt about Walker. I didn’t want it to get around that I didn’t like him since Leader Shrine already had a clue about my disapproval.
I headed to the adjoining bathroom and stripped off my clothes in preparation for bed.

As I get ready, I begin to realize how today had taken a toll on me. I felt exhausted. It took a lot of me to keep my temper with Walker and keep up the facade as if nothing was wrong. I thought back to my encounter with Dex. Immediately I felt myself perk back up at the thought of speaking with him again.
“He’s not yours to think about,” a nagging voice told me in the back of my head.
I knew this. No matter how much I wanted to be around him I knew it was not all that possible. He wasn’t the one I was chosen for. He was Talia’s, not mines. I had to learn to get along with Walker if I wanted to be somewhat happy with the path my life was headed.

I’m Walker Belle Femme not Dex’s. It sadden me so much as that thought entered my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hoped you liked it : )