Status: Look out for a COMPLETE relaunch of this story, coming around end December. Same plot line, better writing!

Belle Femme

Chapter 7

“Scarlett, baby. Wake up,” a voice chuckled as I was rocked lightly from side to side.
“It’s no fun being in bed together if you’re sleep.”

I opened my eyes slowly to see Walker seated right above me, a smirk set in place. I rose up quickly, meeting his eyes.
“What are you doing here? What time is it?” I asked, groggily.
“A little after three. They let us out early and I got worried when you weren’t down to greet me.”
Walker gently pushed a piece of hair out my face. “But no worries. This is a much better welcome.”

I rolled my neck, getting out of his reach and scooted to the edge beside him.
“If you give me a few minutes, I’ll meet you in the foyer and we can do what you like,” I whispered, not enjoying the look he was giving me.
He smiled and reached down to lightly grab my leg. Suddenly, I wished I had changed into some pajama pants instead of the shorts I was sporting.
“I would rather hang right here…” Walker’s hand traveled slowly up my thigh. “Wouldn’t you?” he breathed.
My eyebrows wrinkled together and my heart began to beat sharply in panic.
“No,” I thought. “We’re not doing this.”
I slowly pushed his hand away. “Walker, we’ve really just met. I’m not ready to do whatever you want to do.” He frowned.
“It doesn’t matter how long we’ve known each other. We’re supposed to be wed, stop being a pru-.” He was cut off from Haven entering the room, tissue in hand.

“Oh!” she exclaimed. “I’m sorry. I thought everybody was around doing something. I’ll leave..” She started to close the door when I hopped up from the bed, grateful for the interruption.
“No! Walker was only waking me up and was about to leave. Right?” I looked down at him as he clenched his jaw.

“Right. I’ll see you downstairs in ten Scarlett,” he said. He exited quietly as Haven looked apologetically at me.
“I’m so sorry,” she said after he closed the door. “I thought you and Valerie would be gone since the men got back early. I never thought…Walker would have come up here.”
I shook my head as I looked through my drawers for something to wear. “Don’t worry about it. I’m actually kind of glad you came up here.” I paused. “Why are you up here anyway?

Haven sat on her bed, pulling at her tissue paper. “Jonathan said there was something else he needed to work on and that he would meet up with me later.”
I pulled out a purple sweater dress to change into. “Is everything okay?” I inquired as I changed quickly.
Haven sat silent for a moment then responded, “I don’t know. I just really don’t know.” Haven lowered her head into her hands and began to sob quietly.

I walked to her side and sat next to her. “What’s wrong? What did he do?” I asked soothingly.
“He hasn’t done anything,” she sniffled. “That’s the problem. Last night he was so… distant. When we were dancing, he kept politely pushing me away every time I tried to get closer to him. Then today for example, all the guys seem excited to come back early but he decided he was going to stay and work.” She blotted her eyes. “I think there’s another girl,” she whispered.

I shook my head. “Aren’t you jumping to conclusions a bit fast Haven? We just got here.”
“Why else wouldn’t he be excited to see me or talk with me. He seemed relieved when he was telling me goodnight, last night. Then he rushed off without a word. It’s probably some maid girl.” She sobbed harder as soon as those words came out of her mouth.
I rubbed her shoulder, trying to console her. “He’s probably still getting used to the whole thing. Give it a week or two and he’ll start to loosen up, I bet.”
She looked upward, thinking then nodded in agreement. “I suppose. He’s most likely shy.” Haven leaned over and gave me a hug. “Thank you for listening. Don’t take Walker for granted either. He seems really into you.”
I gave a forced smile, not bothering to respond. I finished getting ready and left Haven feeling much better.

I walked downstairs and saw Walker standing in the entrance hall talking to the couple from last night, Xander and his adoring Belle Femme, whose name I later learned that night was Angelina.
“Finally she graces us with her presence,” Walker said, sarcastically as I walked up to them. Xander laughed quietly and Angelina followed his cue.

“I apologize. I didn’t know I was being timed,” I retorted.
Angelina looked at me oddly while Walker snorted. “Anyway, Xander and I haven’t eaten yet so we’ve decided to catch a late lunch. We assumed you and Angelina would come along.”
Angelina nodded her head, quickly, while I raised my eyebrows. I had no interest on sitting with Walker and the two lovebirds. But I really had no choice.
“Of course,” I responded winding my arm through his when he offered it.
We exited the castle and made our way to the limo that waited. On the way there Walker and Xander talked about things and people Angelina and I knew nothing about. I listened occasionally but for the most part I stared out the window absentmindedly, thinking about everything I’ve encountered since I’ve gotten here. How I missed my family so much and it hasn’t even been two full days yet. Six months would have to pass before I could see their faces again and then it would be at my highly publicized wedding. I could see my mother now, beaming with pride as she saw me walk down the aisle while my father smiled softly next to her. If this is what made them proud….

“Getting out of the car anytime soon, Scarlett?” Walker interrupted.
I snapped out of thought and saw Walker looking at me disapprovingly, with his hand reached out. I smiled, apologetically, and followed beside him and the couple into a cozy restaurant. There was a small line when we got inside but as soon as the waiter saw the uniforms Walker and Xander had on, we were immediately seated. The people in front of us did no complaining; in fact they encouraged it.
“Lovely place,” Angelina commented once we were seated.
I agreed, taking in the big bay windows that let in just the right amount of light. Soft music played in the background as customers spoke quietly with one another. I noticed people staring at us, almost openly. This was going to take some getting used to.

Our waiter appeared moments later, pen and pad in hand. Walker and Xander ordered a bottle of wine while quickly ordering their food as well. Obviously they’ve been here before.
“I’m assuming you’re not hungry Scarlett?” Walked asked me when the waiter walked away.
My eyebrows furrowed slightly in annoyance. “Instead of assuming, why don’t you just ask?”
Walker glared at me as Xander and Angelina looked at me with open surprise. I quickly changed my tone. “But yes, sweetheart. I’m not hungry.”

Walker smiled and laid his arm over the back of my chair. “You know how I feel about your smart comments in public,” he whispered in my ear. “Stop.”
I bit the inside of my cheek. “I haven’t been meaning to. Sorry.”
Walker leaned in more to say something else when Angelina spoke to someone entering the restaurant.
“Talia! General Dex!” she exclaimed happily. I looked over my shoulder to see Dex and Talia being escorted in, hand in hand. Dex eyes grew darker when he came in contact with mine despite the smile he wore on his face. Talia waved and walked over to our table. Her blond hair was pulled back into a bun and she wore a black maxi dress that went great with her hourglass figure. She looked great.
“Hello everyone. We didn’t know that you all were also coming here for lunch,” she spoke as stood next to our table.

“Of course. Xander was saying how delightful the food was so I wanted to give it try when he suggested we eat somewhere. You two should sit with us. Right Xander?” Angelina looked up at her mate for approval. He leaned back in his chair and gave a tight smile. Walker and Xander had already shown their dislike for Dex and Angelina knew this. However, she couldn’t pass up a chance to be seen in close quarters with a General and his Belle Femme.

“Of course. The more the merrier.”
Talia looked at Dex for his say-so and he shrugged his shoulders in indifference. But I could tell in his body language he wasn’t interested.
“Yes. Thank you,” Talia said. I guess she couldn’t.
“Fantastic,” Walker muttered sarcastically under his breath.
Dex pulled a chair out for Talia and himself and they both took a seat. The waiter quickly came by, wine bottle in hand, and took their orders. An awkward silence followed as he left. I glanced up at Dex slyly as he sat across from me. He avoided my gaze.

“So,” Angelina said once no one was bothering to speak. “Talia, how did your personal interview go? I tried to sneak a peek but Nadine shooed the other girls and I away before we really saw anything.”
Talia took small sip of her wine. “There wasn’t much too see. They just asked a few questions and took several more photos. Quick and simple. ”
Angelina face fell a little. “Oh.”
Another silence followed. My heart jumped a little when I saw Talia grab Dex’s hand and give a light squeeze. He proceeded to lean down and kiss her hand softly. I looked down at the table. It surprised me at the jealously I felt coursing through me at the small gesture.

“General Dex, how did everything play out this afternoon? Is everything alright?” Walker asked, after a few moments passed.
Dex leaned forward in his chair. “Everything is fine as far as I’m concerned. I reported what I knew to Leader Shrine. He sees nothing big coming out of it.”
“Are you sure that’s something we should take lightly? Considering the past?” Xander asked.
A look of annoyance crossed Dex’s face swiftly. “Everything is fine,” he repeated. “Crayton, Jaiden, and I, along with the older Generals have spoken and there’s no reason to overreact. Now, can we please cease this conversation in front of the ladies?”
I listened, confused. What were they talking about?

Xander and Walker stopped the conversation and took a drink of their wine. I could tell Walker was irritated with Dex, but he didn’t say anything.
Talia filled the once more silence with small talk, which I participated in. Minutes later the food arrived and plates appeared in front of them men as well as Talia, who ordered the same thing as Dex. Comments were said through the hasty lunch, anything to fill off-balance atmosphere. I continued sipping my wine as I watched Talia rub Dex’s shoulder, lovingly after she picked over her meal.
‘Thank you for letting us join you all for lunch,” Dex said as he stood. He met my eyes briefly. I looked away.
We waved goodbye and minutes after they left we followed their lead and exited the restaurant
.
We arrived back to the castle and the men decided to go their separate ways to go check on something and said they would meet up with us later for the night’s activities. Xander and Angelina shared a long kiss in goodbye while Walker simply gave me a peck on the cheek which I was surprised and grateful for. Angelina and I started our walks towards the rooms.

“May I ask you a question?” she asked as we ascended up the stairs.
I looked at her curiously. “Sure.”
“Why do you attempt to aggravate Walker so?”
“Aggravate?” I repeated. “What do you mean?”
“The comments you’ve been making,” she said. “Such as before we left today and during lunch. It seems that you’re doing it on purpose.”
I stopped in the hallway to give her my full attention. “I can assure you that I do not attempt to aggravate Walker on purpose. I think you’ve got it backwards.”
Angelina laughed. “Why Scarlett, Walker was not chosen to please you! You speak boldly as if he can’t reject you. I advise that you watch your words more carefully.”
I advise you to mind your business and leave my relationship alone. Just because I don’t let Walker talk to me any such way doesn’t mean I’m purposely aggravating him. Next time, keep your comments, especially about something that doesn’t involve you, to yourself.”

With that I walked away, leaving Angelina standing alone in the hall. I found my way to my room and found Valerie and Haven conversing. I made my way to the bathroom to calm myself down to avoid questions from my ever talkative roommates.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night came and passed without anything quite interesting happening. Walker opted for the movie instead of the swim. A clingy, short, satin burgundy dress was sent up to the room for me to wear along with Valerie since she’s was also going to watch the movie. Jonathan had chosen to swim so a purple bikini was sent for Haven.

The movie was, of course, a romance. Beautifully acted, it kept my full attention yet not so quite Walker’s. I could see why he had chosen the movie instead of going for a swim. He hands roamed my thighs and he kissed my exposed shoulders softly. As much as I tried to slink away, I couldn’t much in the custom seats made for two people. Three small walls were placed around the seat to give the illusion of privacy in the large theater. Walker took full advantage of that as he leaned heavily into me.
“Scarlett, you do know the movie option is not to actually watch the movie right?” he whispered as he kissed me softly on my neck.
I tilted my neck, pretending to be ticklish and scooted more against the seat rail.
“I don’t understand why not. This is a great movie,” I said as I pushed his hand away. “And I would love if you watched it with me.”
Walked sighed deeply and somewhat backed off; even though he kept stroking my legs lightly. The movie ended about an hour later and again we were forced back to our rooms, rules of Leader Shrine. Grateful again, I hugged Walker in goodbye and denied his request to escort me to my side of the castle.

“I’ll be fine,” I said. “You seem tired anyway. Get your rest and I’ll see you tomorrow.”
Walker shrugged and went on his way.
I roamed the halls back to my room, taking time to really look at the castle. The paintings the hung on these walls were genuine and from artists all over the world. Suddenly I lost track of time and as I looked up and down the unfamiliar halls I realized I was lost too.
“Shoot!” I exclaimed as headed down the halls looking for something familiar. I wondered where all the maids were, they were usually walking the halls and always helpful.
Just as I turned the corner, I ran into something hard and wet which knocked me back a couple steps.

“Sorry, I didn’t see…Oh. It’s you.” Dex responded.
I brushed my hair out my face. “Yes, it’s me. I guess it was your turn to do the bumping into.”
I noticed he was wearing a plain white t-shirt and purple swim trunks. A towel was thrown over his shoulder and his curly black hair was damp so it hung into his eyes. A blush ran into my cheeks as I checked him out and noticed him do a quick graze of my figure.

“Are you lost?” he asked a moment later.
“Yes,” I responded. “I got caught up in looking at the castle that I lost track of where I was. I’ve been hoping to find a maid girl for some help but they are nowhere to be found tonight.”
Dex nodded. “Oh yes. The majority of them are probably cleaning up the pool areas and the theater. Miss Serena hates to leave anything untidy after it’s been used so they move in quickly.”
“Well, thankfully you were roaming the halls too I suppose, or I might it taken a while to find my way back.”
“Did Walker not escort you to your room after the date?” Dex asked, displeased.
“He offered but I declined.”
“He should’ve insisted," Dex said.
I titled my head to the side as if in thought. “It wasn’t necessary since technically I knew the way back from that point… what are you doing down this way anyway?”
“I was headed back up to my room from escorting Talia to hers. You’ve actually just passed my room.” He pointed to the door behind me.
I glanced over the large, mahogany door. “Isn’t that such luck?”

Dex gave a slight smile and moved past me to the entry. “Allow me a moment to put this towel away first and change shirts before I guide you back.”
I nodded and he opened the door to his room. I couldn’t help feeling nosy as he walked in. I tiptoed back a few short steps and peered in. It was bigger than I expected and it clear he didn’t share a room since a large king size bed took up fair amount of space.
Dex looked up and me from his dresser. He hesitated momentarily. “You may come in if you like,” he said.

I stood still in the hallway for a moment, processing the request, before I stepped in getting a better look.
Deep purple curtains decorated the windows on both side of his bed. The comforter matched the color of the window treatments and I noticed the nation’s symbol imprinted in the middle of the bedding. An entertainment center was placed in front of the bed and small, plush chair in the corner of the room next to a second door which I assumed led to the closet.

“Do you not share a room because you are a General?” I asked, as I looked at the titles of books that filled the small bookshelf next to the center.
“Yes. We each get our own rooms as we stay in the castle. Some of the soldiers were lucky enough to have their own rooms also but not as big as ours.”
I turned around to face him just as he was slipping on his shirt. The patch of tanned, muscled skin didn’t go unnoticed before it got covered up by a dry black t-shirt. More thoughts started filling my head.

“Has Talia seen your room yet?” I blurted out. I immediately took it back, meaning to only wonder that question in my head. “I apologize, I didn’t…”
Dex shook his head. “She hasn’t,” he interrupted. “It’s quite soon, don’t you think?”
I raised an eyebrow. “Well, your displays of affection today at lunch told a different story.”
His eyes darkened slightly. “She is my [i}Belle Femme. Just because she hasn’t seen my room doesn’t mean we don’t show affection.”
Jealously filled through me again. “Do you not think it’s too soon for that? We’ve only arrived here yesterday.”
“A kiss on the hand is far from scandalous,” Dex said. He moved closer, towering over me. “Couples in this situation have moved much faster than I have,” he murmured.
“So you’re content in waiting?” I asked quietly.
“Waiting for the special one? Yes.”
“She is your special one according to Leader Shrine. So why bother?” I inquired.

Dex stared into my eyes as he shook his head slowly. “To tell you the truth I don’t think she is.”
My heart started skipping beats. “What makes you say that?”
He said nothing and silence washed over us. He stood so close to me I could smell his cologne mixed in with chlorine. It was enticing.
Before I knew it, Dex leaned in and kissed me softly on the lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorryyyy for the wait. I've been super busy with the start of school and stuff. It's longer the usual for an added bonus! Hoped you enjoyed it : )