Forevermore

Prologue

When I came to, I had no idea where I was or what had happened. The only thing I did remember about last night, seemed now like a distant memory.

I remember when the creatures came. They had knocked on our little cottage door, and fear had risen in our home. Those creatures looked a whole lot like us, except they didn’t have pointy ears and had unnaturally short hair. I also remember when Mommy told me to hide in the hall closet and to not come out, no matter what I heard.

I had promised her, and Elves never break their promises. So I never moved, not even when I heard the blood-chilling screams.

Finally, I opened my eyes and glanced around the dark closet. “Mommy?” I called, too scared to open the door. Silence. I uncurled myself from my protective ball on the floor. My limbs were cramped and it was a struggle to stand up. The night gown that I had worn was drenched completely in sweat and tears. Little did I know what I would find on the other side would scar me for life.

“Mommy? Daddy?” I reached for the door handle; it was cold as though there was absolutely no heat in the house. I twisted it open and peered through. I had to hold back a scream when I noticed the blood that covered the walls. It was pretty much dried now, but it still gave me the creeps. I stifled another scream and slipped out of the closet. The lights were out and trash littered the room. Our furniture also littered the floor and made me want to sob. My father’s chair was tipped over and that’s when I noticed it. I let out a rippling scream and fell to my knees.

“Mommy! Daddy!” I wept into my hands. I had found my father. I stood and then found my mother too, on the floor across from where I was standing.

Disarrayed, dark brown hair laid in a pool of wet crimson. My mother’s body was mangled and twisted, a bloody mockery of what it should have been. One of her hands was lying limp and broken beside her. It brought back memories of how she used to cradle me, with those hands. It also made me realize that they never would again. I looked away, choking on my built up sorrow.

With one lungful of air, I fell to my knees once more and screamed to my hearts content. My face grew wet with fresh tears and I let my hands cover my face. My waist-length blond hair fell into my face and I tried to calm my breathing. This wasn’t happening, it couldn’t be. How could those creatures do this? How could they take the two people that mattered the most to me?

I made a pitiful struggle to my feet and my eyes darted back to my father. His limbs were in odd angles and he was still wearing his reading glasses. This being present on his face, hurt me so deeply inside. He read to me. Every night, ever since I was a baby. It was his simple way of telling me he loved me and that he also cared for my education, since I hadn’t begun school yet. His eyes, still open, were pained and glassed over.
I had to get out of here. Maybe I could still help them. Maybe….Just Maybe. I bit my lip and trudged to the door. I had never felt so alone in my life, but suddenly my chest cramped with total emptiness. I turned suddenly, before getting to the door. Before I could leave I needed this one thing. I snatched the amulet from around my mother’s neck and gripped it tightly in my hand. Then I opened the door and walked out into the night air. It was cool outside, and I felt a slight burning as the amulet pressed into the palm of my hand. My heart thumped hard, with sorrow.

That pain would be nothing compared to the emotional pain that I would have to endure. The child within me, that had once played and sang cheerful tunes, was now fading away with my parents’ lives. I shook my head, sending a wave of vertigo through it. My jaw tensed and I let loose a ripple of rage as I began to pound the ground with my fist. I didn’t stop, until I could move no more. My knuckles were cracked and bleeding, but all I could think about was that I wanted those creatures destroyed.

I wanted revenge.

The wind blew harder as I sat there on the ground. My golden hair that usually glinted in the moon light, now seemed paler and brittle as it flew across my face. Tears wet my face, but I wiped them away furiously. I’d promised myself that forevermore I would not cry, but, even though, I could swear I heard my mother’s and father’s voices calling my name, in the wind.

“Lunette…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment :)