Leap of Faith

first.

Gwen looked up and across the TARDIS. She trailed her fingers lightly over the controls as she walked over to her companion. "So," she started, breaking the silence. "Where are we now, Doctor?"

The Doctor looked down at her. "I have no idea." He grinned. "Why don't we go find out?"

Gwen grabbed hold of his hand and dragged him behind her as she crossed the TARDIS. She pushed the doors open and found that they were in a very old bedroom of a very old house. There was a thin coat of dust covering everything in the room. The night table, the curtains, the floor, the bedspread. The air smelled of the dust, and there was a faint odor of mold. She let go of the Doctor's hand and walked over to the bed. A cloud of grey engulfed her as she plopped onto the comforter.

"This is a nice place. Where exactly are we and how did we end up here?"

The Doctor was pacing about the room, looking at everything. He ran his finger across a dusted over picture frame before turning back to Gwen. "That's what I'm trying to figure out." He walked over to the window and looked out the curtains. "We seem to be in a small town, sometime around 1994, I assume."

Gwen's brows furrowed over her dark eyes. "And how do you assume something like what year we're in?"

He shrugged, smiling. "Shall we go exploring?" He held out his arm for her to take, but before she could, the door to the room slammed open and a man walked in.

"Oh, my God," Gwen whispered. She jumped up from the bed and went to stand between the man and the Doctor. Her head whipped back and forth as she looked between them. "Doctor, this man looks exactly like you." She walked towards the man, looking him in the eyes.

He did, in fact, look like the Doctor. The two could have been twins, except for the fact that the Doctor had no family left. There was something different about the other man, though. His eyes shifted quickly about the room, hair looked as though it hadn't been washed in quite some time. They looked exactly the same in every way, yet infinitely different in even more.

The man and Doctor spoke at the same time. "Who are you?" they asked.

Gwen took a step back. "That was odd," she laughed. She stuck her hand out to the man in front of her. "I'm Gwenni Marshall."

His eyes trailed down to the hand before him, but he did not take it in his own. "How did you get in here?"

"That's not important," the Doctor said. "What's important is: Where are we, exactly?"

"You're in Little Hangleton," he said, voice careful.

The Doctor nodded. "Right. Of course we are. And what year is it?"

"It's 1994."

"Ahah!" The Doctor pointed his finger at Gwen. "I told you! What did I tell you? I told you it was 1994, didn't I? And I was right!"

Gwen rolled her eyes and turned back to look at the man. "That's the Doctor. We came here in the TARDIS-" she turned and pointed at the blue Police Box that stood at the foot of the bed "-but we don't know how we got here. Nor do we know exactly where we are. Are we in England?"

"Yes. And I just told you where you are." He eyed the TARDIS. "What did you say that was?"

"The TARDIS."

He nodded. "Why are you here?"

"We have no idea." The Doctor stepped forward to stand beside Gwen. "We're travelers, you see, and we somehow ended up here. We were shooting for London in 1981."

"Are you wizards?"

"I suppose you could say that, yeah." The Doctor smiled.

"And where do your loyalties lie?"

"That's an odd question. Whatever do you mean, sir?"

"Are you loyal to the Dark Lord or not?"

Gwen and the Doctor looked at each other. They had never heard of this Dark Lord, though, they assumed he was some sort of evil power in whatever world they'd landed. They assumed that this man was loyal to this Dark Lord, and if they said they weren't there would be a bit of trouble.

"Well- What did you say your name was?"

The man looked at Gwen. "I didn't. My name is Barty Crouch, Jr."

She smiled at him. "Right. Well, Barty, of course we are. Why would we be here if we weren't?"

Gwen had no idea what she'd just gotten herself into. The following 24 hours would be one of the most interesting, and that was saying something when you knew the Doctor. She didn't know it yet, but she was going to have to make a choice. A choice that would change her existence forever.