Chaos of 2014

Strategy

In Swansea, the sky had turned an overcast white. The snow kept falling at a constant pace, though it was not harsh. It was just right. The weather seemed to reflect everyone's mood in a single summary. When white is the absence of colour, here outside the church, right at that very moment, there was absence of emotion. Or more so, state of shock. I felt the impact on myself, although it was very minor. After all, I was the one to see most things happe before they became reality. I dreaded forseeing the potential deaths. All the more reason for me to stay awake during twilight and dawn hours.
Now with the transport of two large tour buses, all of our luggage and inventry had been transferred onto them. The feeling of having a greater sense of organization was somewhat reassuring, and it succeeded in lifting my spirits off the ground a little. Staying positive was important, but it was also exhausting when you're too keep it up. A lot of people were going ot be depending on me very soon, and I had to show them that I was strong enough to handle the responsibility.
I'd currently left everyone to discuss amongst themselves a location they'd think best to take refuge in. When the infection begun to spread more rapidly, we were going to need somewhere to sink back into, somewhere with security and facilities. We could all fight our way through this, but we were also going to need our rest, and more so, develop our intelligence. I had a few ideas hidden up my sleeve, but I was not to tell anyone just yet.
Figuring out our options for over the next few months was going to need a lot of thinking. In time, we would eventually be running out of the resources that were available. Food, fuel, power...
My thoughts were interrupted as Daryl approached. His expression was blank and hence unreadable. Pushing my thoughts aside, I focused my attention on him.
"Something's on your mind. Care to elaborate?" I asked.
He eyed me with some kind of questioning, then turned to face the city, focusing on nothing in particular. He cleared his throat. "I'm not all too comfortable with this."
I shook my head slightly. "Woah, wait... But you were fine just a minute ago. Why didn't you-"
"No, that's not it," he blurted waving his hands frantically. He sighed heavily, folding his arms defensively. Glancing briefly over to the church, he mumbled, "I'm not happy with the fact that HE'S with us." He emphasized the word.
Peering around Daryl, I quickly looked over at everyone who was by the church. I understood straight away. "Chris Rees?"
He nodded vaguely.
I sighed a little. "It's only right that I look out for him as much as everyone else. I mean, I did hurt him pretty badly all those years ago, it was rather low of me to do so." As I said it, the pendulum of guilt swung into my gut.
Daryl was unfazed by my reasoning. "I can't see why you'd want to keep him safe. I'm serious Masa, I don't like him at all, and I never have. He was never worth any part of you, Shadow will tell you the same, and he deserved what he had coming. I can't tolerate him being with us. I'll only end up killing him myself."
I shrugged. "There's nothing I can really do to change your mind, but could you just go along with it? I know it's not the greatest way to survive, along side a hated enemy, but can you tolerate it for now? For me at least?" I pleaded.
Daryl scowled. He wasn't happy with what I was saying, but he knew better than to be childish about it. "Sure, but don't blame me if I kick off. He frustrates me, and no doubt he'll be testing my patience some time soon."
I accepted that. "Alright, just don't be spilling each other's blood over everyone else," I gave him a smile. "Thanks, by the way."
He appeared surprised. "For what?"
"For everything, especially the means of transport," I gestured toward the huge vehicles across the road. "Bet they weren't cheap either. Also, with you on our side, we'll have no problem building barricades and fixing break downs."
He grinned with approval. "You know me all too well. But about the transport, it was really no problem."
I slapped his shoulder. "Damn well I do. I've known you long enough."
Breaking the comfortable atmosphere, a high pitched scream echoed through the city. Eyes darting toward the church, I found the source of the scream.
"Let's go!" We were sprinting towards them, my Zatoichi drawn, Daryl wielding his steampunk long sword. It had been Seji that had screamed, and immediately I saw why. Emerging from the church was a hoard of the infected. Maybe ten, fifteen... possibly twenty of them. We were joined by Shadow, Alice, Chris, Jorjie, Ieuan and Luke, all wielding their weapons. Charging at the hoard, I lunged first for the nearest zombie. My short sunk into it's chest, and I sprang back. The creature flailed around before flopping forward into a mound of snow. Daryl was sweeping and thrusting wildly, aiming below the knee to dismember them, where he had already taken down a set of three of the infected with ease. "If only my fighting element was ice..." I thought.
Working my way into the centre of the wave, Shadow right at my heals, the others took the wings. Chris was sticking them with his hidden blades, whilst Alice took them by surprise, slashing at their waists, darting in and out around them so as to confuse them. Jorjie, Luke and Ieuan worked in unison, wielding fire arms, strategically taking them out in style. I focused my concentration on the heart of the pack.
The zombie that had once been the priest of the church locked it's gaze on me and charged forward. Standing ground, I timed my move, and lunged myself onto the zombie, plunging my sword into the base of its collar, and using my momentum, flipped over its head, dragging the blade through. It's head split in two from the throat up. I landed on the shoulders of another infected, weighing it down into a crouch, where I slashed unmercifully at it's back, disconnecting the sections of the spine and then beheading it. As I did so, another of the infected grabbed hold of my arm, and a second ran at me. I dismembered the thing's arm and followed through with a swing to the throat, inflicting deeply. Swivelling to the creature just about to swipe me, Shadow intercepted it's path, dismembering the zombie of all it's limbs so quick and thoroughly, I could barely compare to his style. I'd thank him later.
Ieuan had made his way through to us, Kukri's drawn and sleighing effectively, Luke at his heals. A zombie lunged upon Jorjie, taking her off-guard. Chris dived in, hidden blade immediately protruding through the creatures mouth, then slicing upwards through it's face.
A single infected remained. Daryl had it immediately, pristinely sweeping at the creatures knees, seperating it's arms from it's shoulders with precision, and as it fell foward, thrust his sword through the back of it's head. The creature was nailed face down into the snow. Boot on the creature's skull, he pulled out his sword, wiping the blood off onto the creature's clothes.
All was silent for a moment, whilst we stood in slight shock. Returning my zatoichi to it's sheath, I made my way over to Garin, who had been under the arch with the rest of the people who had stayed out of the fight.
"I'm need you to collect some debris. I know, it's not the most exciting and pleasant of jobs, but I think it'd be good to get some test samples for later, if you will?"
Garin nodded. "Of course."
I trudged back over to Daryl. "Nice work. You were rather in your element there."
Daryl shrugged. "Gotta give em' what they deserve, ne?"
"I agree. Although, I think now would be a good idea to start moving."
Shadow joined us. "Have we even decided where we're going?"
I stood and thought about that. Where could we go? With all these people, we were going to need somewhere that would be of ideal space, and also somewhere with good security. We also needed access to essentials, such as a source of food. My mind went blank.
Alice sprinted over, a beaming smile on her face. I could see the adrenaline in her eyes. Her pupil's were so large, the entire iris was covered to make her eyes appear completely black.
"I don't know why we didn't think of this before!" She began, she couldn't get the words out fast enough. "It's the most perfect place, we have all our needs scattered around us, all the resources..." She stopped, panting for breath.
I took hold of her shoulder. "Spit it out, woman!"
"The school!" She blurted.
I furrowed my brow. "What, Olchfa? It couldn't be worse-"
"No no no!" She shook her head frantically. "Cwmtawe! OUR old school."
I let my arms drop by my sides. "Are you serious? I vowed I'd never go back-"
"Oh come on! Think about it," Chris began. "We have all the space we can get, there's a Tesco practically next door to it, so there's plenty of food to keep us going for a while. There's a petrol station near that, so we need fuel if we need to get out. Hell, we'll even have an argos to buy extra things like entertainment and luxuries."
I considered his point, which was a very good one. He was right, and both him and Alice had obviously thought this through. "Well... I can't see the disadvantages of it. But, how would we break in?"
"That's only a wee problem, but one I can easily fix." Daryl input.
I nodded in approval. "Didn't I just pick the most perfect friends?"
"I think it's time to start boarding, I'll go round everyone up." Daryl alerted everyone and we began making our way over to the buses. Daryl was still driving the Chevy, as we couldn't leave it behind, especially now my Kawazaki was in the back of it. I couldn't leave it in any circumstances.
Naturally, my inventry had been loaded onto the bus that was once owned by Dir en grey. I would have it no other way. I found my room on the first floor of the bus, where all my belongings were stacked in the corner next to Shadow's. The small room felt cozy and it had a homey feel too. I walked over to the bed and collapsed onto it. As soon as I hit the matress, I realised just how exhausted I was. I'd only been awake for a total of seven hours, but the rushing around and fighting had made an impact on me. I sighed at my pathetic lethargy.
I looked to Shadow. "I think it's time for a can of Relentless..."
***

Returning once again to Pontadawe, I felt like I was having an episode of De ja vu. Although, I appreciated it being quiet and uneventful, for it was nice to relax for 10 minutes. I downed two cans of the relentless that were in my rucksack. I felt a great deal more alive. Shadow looked out the window.
"We're here."
I squinted through the tinted glass. We were parked in the middle of the court yard of the school, opposite the Tennis Courts. It was all so familiar. Nothing had changed in three years. I eyed the structure of the school building. Like it always did, it stood in a square arch shape, which meant we were covered on three sides. We could easily make a fence to go across the other side...
Storing my ideas, I decided I'd discuss them later with Daryl. Yawning enthusiastically, I exited the room and made my way to the front of the bus, where Chris was getting out of the driver's seat. Ieuan had driven the other bus.
"Never expected in a million years that I'd be stepping foot anywhere near this place again, nevermind in it." I said absently mindedly.
"In your life, anything should be expected. You're full of surprises," He had a point. "And besides, this time, we'll be the ones making rules and handing out detentions."
I chuckled, "Damn, I wish." Stepping off the bus, I noticed something different. Before I had left my house this same morning, I had felt this exact feeling. The complete silence. Everyone was currently making their way off the buses. Daryl jumped out of his Chevy. "How did you get past the gate?"
"There ain't much that can stop me," He replied. "And at some point, I'm gonna start working on the security systems," he gestured toward the school. "Some entrances will be blocked off, meaning the zombies will have more difficulty accessing the building."
I looked at him. "I'm so glad you know what you're doing. I've never been the most strategic of people. I'm an artist, not a logistic."
I heard a strangled cawing in the distance. I swivelled, looking towards the fields a few blocks away from us. Murders and murders of crows...
"Get back in the bus!!!" I shouted, drawing my pistols. As I began firing, Luke came to my side, MP5 at the ready.
"Bring it on, you filthy vermin!" He roared, immediately bullet shells were raining down from him.
Soon, the yard was roaring with the sound on gun shots. As dead crows plummeted down from the sky, more kept coming. I caught my breath. "It's like freakin' Resident Evil all over again..."
As a small group of crows swooped down over me, I dived, rolling underneath them in opposite direction, sticking them with as many bullets as I could as I evaded. On the other side of the courtyard, Alice was using her extreme speed to her full advantage. Span in tornados on the spot, whirling her sword all around her and sleighing each crow with distinct accuracy, where the debris fell in a circle around her. They didn't even touch her. Shuriken and Kunai were hurtling through the air, and Chris was taking out bundles of the vermin with his Python revolver.
Finally, the wave stopped. The yard was littered with the corpses of rotting birds. The scent made me gag, it was incredibly foul. I knew I'd have to start getting used to this.
"Masa!" It was Seji. "Aurora is sick!"
I turned to see Aurora falling to her knees and keeling over, heaving. I ran to her aid, falling to my knees in front of her. Whilst Seji held back her hair, I supported her by the shoulders. "Get it out of your system hunnie."
For a while, it was just dry heaving and nothing came out. But it was persistent, and it sounded painful. When I thought it was going to cease, the snow turned opaque with the splattering of black, congealed matter. She continued to cough it for a while before it calmed down, and she could breath. A brought a tissue out from my rucksack, handing it to her.
Seji looked at me in horror. "Is she infected?"
I adverted my gaze. I'd known this would happen. Aurora had inflicted herself with the same knife she'd used to kill the zombie that was her mother, hence the infection had been tranferred by blood fusion.
"Garin! I'm gonna need you to collect some more samples." I turned to face Seji. "Once we get in there, I need you to set up and run tests straight away, on both Aurora's blood and the infected. There must be something we can do."
Aurora looked me in the eyes. Her iris's were a lifeless grey, and her skin was almost translucent. "Masa, I'm gonna die, aren't I?"
"Not if I can help it." I told her. I hoped I'd be able to keep my word.
Chris Rees appeared next to us. "What's happening to her?"
"The infection, it's in her blood. Can I trust you to keep an eye on her? You two seem pretty close, so I can count on you." I replied, not meeting his eyes.
"So you're just bailing out and letting everyone else do the hard work?" He was interrogating me.
Before turning away, I snapped, "Just make yourself useful." I felt so frustrated, but I couldn't my finger on why. Somehow I just felt responsible for everything that was happening, although I couldn't quite see the logic in my own accusation. Daryl called me over to the nearest entrance of the building.
"I've broken through this one, and all the others seem to be contructed using the same mechanism. If I'm given time, I can change all the locks and make a systematic security code, where it can be controlled easier and we can control the locks to be secure all at the same time. Although, I think it'd be ideal if we barricaded off the front of the building. The system would be made more effective that way." Daryl explained.
I thought over what he'd said. If I remembered the school layout correctly, that would mean shutting off access to the language and humanity corridors. As far as I was concerned, I didn't see any need to keep those. "That sounds fine. At some point I'll draw out the layout of the school, and from there we can begin working out the security system and then plan what we need to keep and discard." I paused before continuing. "For now, I recommend we take our things and settle in the gym hall, which is right next to us. It's large enough and we can transport things easily from there." I looked towards the sky, which was gradually becoming more grey and darker as the day went on. I checked the time on my phone. It was already 5:00pm, the light very quickly beginning to fade. "Let's get everyone inside."
The cold washed in quicker than I had expected, and it bit down hard. Making sure everyone's belongings were stacked in the gym, I helped Daryl lock up the vehicles. My Kawazaki remained in the back of the Chevy.
"Will our vehicles be safe?" I asked.
"The zombie's won't bother trying to break into anything they won't get a reward out of. I don't know if they're the typical zombies from the movies, but my best guess is that they'll be on the look out for signs of movement and life, and the scent of blood. I'm guessing that, since their senses are partially dead, their sense of smell won't be all that strong. So I presume they'll have to be pretty close to catch the scent." He paused. "Plus, they're not exactly Ninjas. We'll hear them coming." He sounded rather confident about what he'd said. It was easy to trust Daryl.
Once inside the gym, Daryl shut the door, encasing the lock mechanism with some kind of coded system. Whatever it was, he obviously knew what he was doing.
I found Seji and Garin, who were taking care of Aurora. "I'll show you to the labs, there you can begin running the necessary tests. We need to do everything we can to keep her alive, do you understand?" They nodded. "I don't mean to weigh you down with such responsibilities, but you're the only ones fit for this role. The faster you work on a treatment, the quicker you'll find a cure. Garin, did you collect some samples?"
He held up a metalic crate. "All the gory stuff's in here."
I smiled. "Goof stuff, this way then." Walking out of the gym into the P.E corridor, I was reminded of the days where I'd been a student here. I always evaded my P.E lessons, as most of the girls did, most likely with some really stupid excuse that I got away with anyway.
At the end of the corridor, I took a left, flicking the lights on as I did so. The corridor flooded with a yellow glow. It was better than eerie darkness. Rounding the corner. I made my way up the stair that I knew would take us to the science corridor.
"How do you still know your way around here?" Seji asked.
I shrugged. "Once I know my way somewhere, I very seldom forget." At the top of the stairs, I headed for the first classroom on the right, S11. This was once my Physics class room, and the the time it had been one of my favourite sciences. The interior of the classroom had changed. It appeared more organized, with more space and less bland looking. Not that it was any more of a comfort zone.
"If everything has remained the same, all of the chemicals and essential apparatus is in the communal storage room, which is through that door," I gestured toward the door at the other end of the room. "It can also be accessed through the room opposite this one. All the glassware is kept in the wall mounted cabinets, and all the other necessaries are in the opaque cupboards below those. You'll also find test vials and syringes in there." I turned to look at them both. "I really appreciate this."
Garin shook his head. "It's really no problem. I'd rather be making myself useful. but if you want those test results soon, we're gonna have to get started as soon as possible."
I nodded. "Sure. Best of luck to you guys. And Seji, sorry but you're going to be my main forensic scientist, ok?"
She rolled her eyes at me. "Trust me, it's gotta be better than 6 hour lectures."
She had a point. "Alright, I'll be bringing you food later. See you." Walking out of the room, I realised how creepy it was being along in such a huge, more or less derelict, building. I was thankful for the shutters being closed over the windows, otherwise I don't think I would've been able to walk back to the gym on my own. I was easily freaked out by the simplest of querks. "Geez, grow up girl." I muttered under my breath. Checking the time, I messaged Billie telling her where we were, and to meet me in the car park of Tesco.
Back in the gym, everyone had begun setting up camp. They'd taken advantage of the crash matts in the store room, and had begun laying them out to create beds for themselves.
"We're gonna need food. I have some, but I ain't loaded. Seeing as Tesco is ten minutes walk from here, I figured I'd go get some stuff-"
"I'm going with you." Shadow intercepted.
"Count me in," Chris added.
"And me!" Alice jumped up, hands on hips.
I sighed. "Well, this should be fun. Hey Daryl, I'll call you when we're near the door, just so you know it's us."
"Sure thing. Be careful."
"We'll be fine. You forget how much I've learned these past few years." I reassured him.
He raised his eyebrows. "You forgot who taught you!" He chuckled.
We stepped out into the yard, and I eyed up the rotting bird debris. "Someone's gonna have to take out the rubbish soon..."
"Yeah, we'll get the boys to earn their keep." Alice said, grinning.
Chris turned to her. "And who said you were in charge?"
"Hey, listen to the ninja, she might make you sorry otherwise." Shadow suggested.
"Yeah, in your face!" She poked her tongue out.
I held my arms out. "Now now, children. There's plenty of bickering to be done once we've cleared up these bastards." Ahead of us down the path were four of the infected. "Would you look at that? One for each of us. How very considerate of them."
Sprinting ahead, I whipped out my zatoichi, Shadow unsheathing his Katana, Alice wielding her long sword, and Chris aimed his revolver.
I slammed into my target, knocking it back then slashing my blade across it's stomach, it's internals falling at it's feet. Whilst it was tripping up over it's own entrails, I plunged my blade between it's eyes. It fell limp. Beside me, Alice and Shadow had successfuly chopped their prey into neatly cut pieces. Chris's kill no longer had a face.
"Head shot!" He called.
Shadow 'hi-fived' him. "Ten points!"
I shook my head in amusement. It was nice to know we could act normally and have fun, even if we were going to be at risk every time we stepped foot outside. We reached Tesco's, sadly with no more encounters. The store should have been closed, had it been any other normal Sunday evening, however, the employees had either evacuated or been eaten. Either way it meant free Relentless for me.
Whilst Chris, Alice and Shadow went to stock up on food for everyone back in the school, I found the drinks isle. I dropped my rucksack down from my shoulders and managed to cram in 15 cans of Relentless. "That should keep me going for the next couple of days..." I muttered under my breath.
Once I'd found Shadow, I asked, "Where've they buggered off to?"
He shrugged, "Chris said 'to get some munch'." He took a step closer to me. "But right now, we're alone."
I smiled. "Oh, indeed we are." I pressed my lips against his fiercely, not wanting to let go of him.
"Oi, you two! Save it for later, you can play Teacher and Student once we get back to the school." Chris shouted.
Alice winked at me.
I sighed. "Don't be jealous, now."
"Nah, we've got too much Mountain Dew to be jealous," giggled Alice.
"We stocked up on sushi an pasta pots too," Chris added.
"Good stuff." Turning to go, I saw movement by the door. I grabbed my magnum and aimed toward the door, cocking it, and about to pull the trigger-
"Woah! Hold it M! Sure you haven't seen me in like a year, but I ain't a mindless zombie just yet."
"B!" I sprinted towards the door and lunged myself at my dearest sister, embracing her as if my life depended on it. "You're early!"
Indeed, it had been a year since I'd seen her. Billie was my cousin, although we were closer than twin sisters. Now aged 23, she was 5"7inch, and her hair fell past her shoulders in a million shades of red. Like me, she had pale white skin, though her eyes were a brighter blue than mine, like little pale saphires.
She wore a flowing dress that reached to her mid thigh, a faded floral print, and 3/4 length sleeves. She wore this over white tights with many tears, and her signature Cherry Doc Martins. She was also equipped with two sub-machine guns, and an impressive Claymore sword.
"Well ain't you just a bad ass." I said, smiling.
"Gotta look the part." She replied.
"Mind if we drive back with you to the school?"
She nodded. "Go for it. Alex is driving. Also, check this out," She pointed to the back of the jeep they owned.
"Wow..." I breathed. On the open back, they'd installed a turret gun.
"Gotta love the future," She winked.
I stood in thought for a moment. "Wanna play a game?"
Shadow appeared by my side. "Game?"
"Uhuh," I grinned. "I call it Zombie Drive-By."
It was going to be a long, fun night.