Sequel: Painting Flowers
Status: Finished. :)

Six Feet Under the Stars

Kitchen Sink

Leaning back, Jack patted his stomach contentedly. "I think my stomach is about to explode. I don't think I've ever been so full in my life."

Alex and I were sitting at the booth with Jack watching his stomach pains with slight smirks. Everyone had warned him not to over indulge, but Jack hadn't listened. Chuckling all the way out the door, Zack and Rian had abandoned the three of us. The two found Jack's predicament almost as predictable as it was hilarious.

"It's not really surprising. I can't believe you managed to eat a hamburger, fries, and that big of a shake. It felt like I was watching an eating competition." I spoke with a laugh.

"But it was vanilla." Jack protested, as if the flavor explained everything.

"Maybe competitive eating could be his new career path if things with the band start going downhill." Alex commented to me, while watching Jack's pouting face. "I can see it now, his name in lights: Jack Barakat; World Champion Eater."

Moaning, Jack closed his eyes, "I'll be okay once some of this digests."

"Barakat?" I questioned, eyebrows raised. "That has to be the craziest last name I have ever heard."

"Not as bad as Gaskarth." Jack grinned through the uncomfortable pain of an overstuffed stomach.

"What is that? French or Swedish?" I asked Alex while half-smiling.

He put on a serious face and spoke in an ultra-patriotic voice, while pumping a fist up in the air. "I'm an American!"

Bursting out in laughter, I tapped his arm bringing it down to a normal height on the table. "Calm down, Captain America."

"Hey, I'll take it. He's a childhood hero."

"You really think you could save the world?" I asked, meeting his eyes.

"I know I can." He grinned confidently. "It wouldn't be too hard. You could be the damsel in distress and I could save you."

I laughed softly, while realizing I still had Alex's arm in my grasp. "Well, thank you in advance for saving my life."

"Can you two please stop flirting and help me out of the booth?" Jack interrupted, while trying to slide out. A frown brought the corners of his mouth downwards. "I think I'm stuck."

"Stop being so whiny." Alex chastised while helping his best friend out of the seat.

As they walked towards the door talking, I paused to throw another dollar on the table for the tip. Rian had knocked over a soda and I knew the table would be a mess to clean. Catching up to the two bandmates, I overheard part of their conversation.

Jack was grinning widely, "Really, Alex? You had to say, 'Oh, you're the damsel in distress'? That sounds a little sexist. Hopefully she's not a feminist."

"Sorry." Alex apologized quickly, "I couldn't come up with anything else on the spot."

"You have a lot to learn, my friend. Maybe I'll teach your some pointers."

"Says the guy who was too nervous to give the waitress his phone number." Alex inclined his head back towards the restaurant. "I saw that starry-eyed look. Haven't seen that one since the flight attendant on our way back to Baltimore."

"She was pretty. And she had a great sense of humor too." Jack defended while giving Alex a shove. "You shouldn't be talking. I see that look on your face all the time now ever since a certain someone joined the tour."

Alex grumbled something I didn't quite catch.

Three beeps of a horn had me looking towards the road. The two tour buses came rolling up next to the band's stationary bus. I felt my stomach drop as the doors opened and the roadies started piling out. It wasn't long before I spotted Dorian.

Standing quite still, I prepared myself for anything.

"Mel, I missed you. I didn't know what to think when you didn't show up on the bus. Hell, I thought we'd left you back at the last stop. Had me worried sick. You can't do that stuff to me."

After speaking, Dorian wrapped a tight arm around my shoulders. Leaning in, he planted a possessive kiss near my temple and tried to steer me in another direction with him. Slightly confused by his sudden kindness, my feet didn't budge.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Alex watching the exchange.

"What's wrong, baby?"

I folded my arms across my chest and made no reply, looking out onto the open road instead of Dorian's face.

"Are you still mad about our fight the other day?" He probed, blocking my view of the scenery with his muscled body. "You know I'm sorry for that. I just love you so much."

"Sometimes that's not enough." I spoke softly.

"Hey now, Mel. Don't talk that way. I already apologized. I'm going to buy something really nice for you, and soon you won't even remember we had a fight." Dorian grinned encouragingly, pulling me into a hug.

"Yeah, okay." Feeling defeated, I pulled out of his arms.

Grasping my chin, he turned my face towards his. "How about we grab something in that little restaurant to eat? I'll even split the bill with you. I could really use a good burger right now."

Sighing, I answered, "I already ate. You go ahead with your friends and I'll catch back up to you. I left something in the tour bus."

Leaving Dorian, I re-entered the band's tour bus. Jack and Rian were flicking the card deck around while Zack read a copy of Rolling Stone. Alex stood in the kitchen watching the traffic pass on the outside.

"Hey guys." I greeted.

"Thought you'd left us for good, Blue Eyes." Alex grinned, though the smile looked a little sad.

My heart leapt at the new nickname. "No, of course not. I was just checking to see if I left anything on here."

"I don't think so." Alex answered, leaning against the counter. "You sure you don't want to ride with us for another leg of the tour? I don't think I can survive with these guys for that long."

Tossing a glance over his shoulder, Alex motioned to his three friends. They were busy playing 60 Second Pick-Up though it looked like there was more brawling than playing going on.

"I'll miss the betting." I admitted. "Even if I did lose everything."

"You could try to win it back." Alex suggested, "Though I think you're becoming quite the gambler. But I guess you're glad to see Dorian again."

"Yeah, it's just great." I replied. Alex seemed a little confused at the sarcasm.

Walking next to him, I rolled up the sleeves on my sweater and turned on the water to the kitchen sink. After sharing pancakes with Alex, my hands were sticky from the syrup. Testing the water for warmth, I moved on to safer subjects than Dorian.

"Thanks for paying for everything back at the restaurant. It was really nice of you."

"No problem." Alex spoke, sliding closer to me to talk over the rushing water. "Thanks for helping me finish those pancakes off."

"Anytime." I laughed, flicking some soap bubbles playfully at him.

"Hey, that's not fair!" Exclaiming, he reached towards the sink for a weapon, but I smacked his hand away causing bubbles to fly everywhere at the impact.

Holding both of my hands so I couldn't use them to fling more soap at him, a genuine smile pulled at his lips. That was the moment I realized we were much to close. Our bodies touched at the thighs and we both held onto the fragile link connecting us together. Alex's eyes looked down at the connection.

His face clouded over, "Woah, those are some terrible bruises."

Looking down at the arms he held, the purplish marks stood out against my fair skin. Quickly, I tried to pull my sweater back over my arms, but Alex undid my work as soon as it was finished. Studying my arms, a small sound escaped the back of his throat.

"These ones look really weird." Walking his fingers over to them, he fit his fingers onto the indigo marks, "Hey, they almost look like handpri--."

He cut off, eyes widening.

I averted his knowledgeable gaze and tried to step back. Alex wouldn't let go. "I trip a lot, Alex. I'm just clumsy. It's not anything new; I just end up with these."

Unlike others before, Alex didn't believe my bullshit. "It's Dorian."

It wasn't a question. He knew.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments, please? :) Enjoy!