Sequel: Painting Flowers
Status: Finished. :)

Six Feet Under the Stars

Thin Veils

"You don't know what you're saying." I spoke convincingly, trying my best to make Alex feel like the conclusions he was drawing were insane.

Cramped into the space by the sink, anger filled his features. "I'm not a dumbass. I know what this is. He hits you, doesn't he?"

"This isn't something I want to talk about with you." I said, calmly. Breaking out of his hold, I pushed a little on his chest to distance us. "Now I have to go. Maybe I'll see you later at the concert."

"Don't walk away like it's nothing, Melanie. You should have told me. Should have said something to somebody."

My eyes flashed, "What do you care? A week ago you didn't know I existed, and now you're trying to act like I've known you a life time."

"It feels like I have."

I had nothing to say since it often felt the same way when I talked with him.

He continued, voice now steady, "Listen. I'll help you. I can get someone to fire him, and you can get away. We'll find a good psychiatrist so you can get some therapy."

"I'm not crazy." I whispered furiously. Even though Alex seemed to have forgotten, I was still aware of the three band members in close proximity. "I don't need a shrink to talk to. Or a bottle of magic pills to make me forget."

Groaning, he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Why are you so stubborn? I'm just trying to help."

"No, you're trying to be the superhero and save everyone. Alex, I'm not the damsel. I don't need saving. All I want is for my life to go back to normal. Just forget all of this."

Alex scoffed, "Normal? When is that shit ever normal?"

"Dorian doesn't mean it." I protested. "He loves me. He really does. I know he has some issues he needs to work out, but I can help him."

"I can't believe this. You're actually making excuses for him. You're trying to protect him. Now, doing that, is crazy. If I pushed you on the ground would you want to date me? Hell, if I took a frying pan to your head maybe you'd even marry me."

"Not funny, Alex." I spoke, feeling hurt.

Someone cleared their throat at the edge of the room. Jack stood there looking worried, while Zack and Rian stood behind studying the tense situation from afar. So much for privacy.

Alex and I froze, the scene caught in a pause. His arm gently rested on mine, restraining me from leaving the tour bus. My hands were pushed out at him in a defensive manner. The fight was obvious and the atmosphere was so tense it could be cut with a knife.

"Is everything okay?" Jack asked, caustiously. Slowly, he came farther into the room.

Before Alex could say anything, I replied, "It's fine. I was just trying to leave."

Alex's grip on my arm didn't loosen, and it seemed as if he would never let me go. The fact that he wasn't backing down was a new experience for me.

Dorian and I had been together for over two years. The violence had started early on and many people had noticed the signs. All of them were content to believe my stories of tripping down stairs and banging into doors. No one had ever looked pass the thinly veiled lies to see the truth.

The fierce look in Alex's eyes told me all that I needed to know; he was going to help me, whether I wanted it or not. Deep inside, that meant so much to me. However being clouded by stupid judgement would not let me make this simple for him, just wishing for whatever normal life I had before.

"Hey, man. Let her leave." Jack spoke to Alex. He had no idea what the fight was about, but the look of horror on his best friend's face was enough to set him on edge. "Just let her go."

His fingers unclamped on my arm, and I was free to go. Quickly, I yanked my sweater sleeves down in place, cursing them for the trouble they had caused. Alex shouldn't know. He shouldn't be burdened with the weight of my problems.

Without turning around, I exited the bus.

Breathing a quick sigh of relief, it wasn't long before Dorian found me again. It felt awkward being around him when Alex knew about our shady relationship. I just hoped he would keep things to himself and not spout out private information to the rest of the band.

"Hey, babe. About ready to go? The buses are going to pull away in a few minutes."

"Yeah, I'm ready. Is the concert still at seven tonight?"

He nodded and pulled an arm around my waist. "We should be getting to the venue in a little bit. Then we'll have some time to set everything up before the show begins."

"Did anyone find another mic?" Being away from the roadie bus had me mising a lot of important information.

"They found a spare so we're all set." Dorian stopped walking to face me, "Anything new? You seem a little on edge."

"Just catching up with the band." I answered, blandly.

"And Alex?" There was a hard edge to his voice. "I thought you weren't going to be around him anymore. We talked about it."

"We didn't talk; you pushed me." The earlier conversation with Alex inspired my daring words.

"Mel." A warning tone entered his voice.

Not wanting to push my luck, I backed off the subject. It was best to let some things slip away. Catching a glimpse off to the side, I noticed someone marching our way. More specifically, it was Alex.
♠ ♠ ♠
Freshly written! Comments? :) Enjoy.