Sequel: Painting Flowers
Status: Finished. :)

Six Feet Under the Stars

The Promise

Alex didn't make it too far.

Jack intercepted him, restraining his friend with a hand. It was clear the two were arguing. Hand motions directed towards Dorian and I were visible from afar, and a few raised comments carried over on the wind.

"Band troubles?" Dorian questioned, patting his pockets in search of a box of cigarettes. It was a habit he had sworn to break on the road. So far, he had had no luck. "Hopefully they don't break up. I need this job."

"Probably just a bump in the road. They'll be okay; it's nothing to worry about. Let's get back inside; everyone should be leaving soon."

Pulling Dorian towards the roadie bus with me nervously, I tried to get far away from the scene outside. The last thing I needed was a hyped up Alex confronting Dorian about what he had learned.

The remainder of the drive passed without event, mostly because I was back on the roadie bus. The few workers mostly stayed separate, involved in their own individual tasks. Honestly, I wished to be back with the band; even with fewer people their bus seemed to be teeming with life.

Pulling up to the venue, I wasn't surprised to see a stadium. All Time Low seemed to have a loyal fan base. It was even expressed in the long trail of people outside the doors, waiting well before the concert time. The fans, mostly girls, held posters with love proclamations as their screams at the bus arrival filled the air.

The roadies entered the stadium with a good amount of time to set up the equipment. The workers rushed to and fro, trying to get everything perfect in time for the sound check. The fans outside were getting antsy and already trying to push past security.

Running a line of electric wire, I ended up at the front microphone. Alex was standing off to the side with a scowl.

"You're just going to ignore me? That's not very mature."

He hadn't made an effort to say a word. Just stared off in silence, arms crossed.

"So you hate me now?" I asked with a frown.

He sighed, walking closer to me. "I don't hate you."

"What a relief."

"You could do without the sarcasm for five minutes. I'm trying to be serious."

His statement cut my words off pretty fast. Watching him for a few seconds, I went back to my work and avoided his eyes. "Sorry, it's just a fall-back."

"It's fine; I'm just being an ass." Studying my work, he placed a hand on top of the microphone tilting it slightly. "I just don't think what's going on is right. You shouldn't have to put up with that shit, Melanie. You deserve so much better for yourself than an asshole boyfriend with a heavy hand."

"I really appreciate you saying that--"

"It's the truth." Alex interjected.

"-- but it's not as simple as you make it seem."

"Mel! You almost done with those wires?" Dorian called to me from the back of the stage.

Alex visibly flinched hearing Dorian's voice, tensing at the mere sound. His hands seemed to tighten in fists. Closing his eyes for a moment, they re-opened with a look of hidden anger.

"Hey, calm down." I advised the singer as he fumed.

"I'm not sure I can."

"Deep breaths." I suggested, then mentally slapped myself for using more sarcasm.

However, Alex's mouth turned up slightly at the corners. "I'm pissed, not trying to give birth."

Laughing softly, I said. "Well, I have to get going. I'll be hanging around backstage; I want to see all the hype about All Time Low for myself."

"Darling, you won't be disappointed."

"And try not to permanently injure Dorian either. I don't want to have to clean him up later."

A serious expression formed on his face. "If I notice anymore marks on you, I'll have to kick his ass. That's a promise too. Jack stopped me earlier, but next time I'll make sure he's not around."

I was shocked at how much he seemed to care. The force of it was staggering. "You really don't have to do that. You might get suspended from the tour or something."

He laughed, "I don't think that's possible. I can't get thrown out of the game like a baseball player. The fans would have too much of an uproar about it."

Studying his eyes, I could see they were set. Nothing seemed to be able to change his mind about fighting Dorian. Alex had set his mind to it and it would happen if another bruise materialized on my arm. Right then, I decided to tread very carefully around Dorian for the next few days to avoid any potential conflict.

"Dorian used to be a bouncer." I warned, trying to change his mind.

The attempt was futile. He looked more offended than anything. "You don't think I can take him?"

"Hey Mel, hurry up! We need a hand back here." Dorian shouted, the anger building slightly in his voice. It was a subtle tone I knew too well, but to the others it just sounded normal.

"Alex, I really have to go now. I'm sorry. We'll talk more later."

"You didn't answer my question. Do you think I could take him?"

"I don't know, honestly. You could be a black belt, or a cage fighter. Despite what you might think, I don't know all that much about you, Mr. Gaskarth."

"Are you making fun of my last name again?" His eyes twinkled with laughter.

"No, it's prefectly normal."

"There's that sarcasm again." He pointed out, grinning.

"I can't help it!" I defended, quickly checking the microphone to see if the wires were connected and functioning.

"Meet me after the concert."

Pausing, I met his eyes curiously. They were playful, but another emotion was hiding under the surface. An emotion that remained undecipherable.

"What? I can't."

"Sure, you can. By the dressing room, right in the back."

I shifted my eyes to Dorian who was busy setting up the drum set. "I really don't think I'll be able to make it. What do you have in mind anyway?"

Leaving my question unanswered, he laughed heartily, "I've seen that fire in your eyes, Melanie. I know you have it in you. Just disappear for a while. No harm done."

Dorian's voice broke through with tangible anger, "We need help back here. Some of us are doing more than socializing."

"Alex, I really have to go now. They need my help."

Walking away, Alex's reply caught my ears at a distance, "I'll be waiting for you there, Blue Eyes."
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave me comments. :) Enjoy!