Sequel: Painting Flowers
Status: Finished. :)

Six Feet Under the Stars

Something More

Dorian raised his eyebrows when I made it to his side. Trying to push the guilt away, I asked, "What did you guys need help with?"

"The drums. Had a few problems with the cymbals. It's all done now though."

"Oh."

Without another word, the other roadies left. They looked a little annoyed with me, and I caught a few words of their complaints as they shuffled away to find more odd jobs to accomplish. Dorian stood next to me and let out a sigh.

"I won't even ask about Alex." He planted a kiss on my cheek. "But, I say we get out of here. The band is about to run through a sound check, and I'm sure the other guys can handle it."

"Are you sure it's okay?"

I didn't want to admit that the lure of leaving the stuffy stage was very appealing. It was getting overwhleming.

"Yeah, let's clear that head of yours. Get some fresh air."

With a hand on my back, Dorian led me through an exit behind the stage. The door opened out into a cramped alleyway with cracked stone walls on both sides. Security gave us a once-over before deciding we weren't a threat to the band, and let us go on our way. The screaming fans were still around and got excited to see people, until they realized it was only two no-names.

Dorian ended up taking me to a chain coffeehouse that was near the venue. Even though the drinks were a little pricey, they were definitely worth the extra money. The two of us sat next to the window to watch the passing cars.

Dorian met my eyes over his hazelnut coffee. "What's on your mind?"

"The tour. I don't know if I should be here." Resting a hand under my chin, I blew out a sigh. "It feels like I haven't been a lot of help to anyone. It's a lot different than the wiring for those elementary schools I was working on. The stage is all different."

He laughed, "Though you still seem to have to deal with children sometimes."

Thinking of Jack's many crazy antics, I smiled. "True."

"Just don't worry about it, Mel. It'll all come in time. Everyone is slow when they first start a new job. Besides you learn fast and soon you'll be better than me."

"Might take a while." I replied, though I was glad for Dorian's support.

For a while after that, Dorian and I strolled the city hand in hand. It was such a leisurely, relaxing experience. One that was becoming increasingly rare in our relationship. It was times like those that I could get drunk off of the happiness and pretend none of the violence had occured.

Dorian and I arrived back to the stadium with plenty of time to spare. We would have been earlier if a fan hadn't tried to sneak in with us through the back door. Bursting into tears, she told the two of us that she only wanted to see Rian and how she'd stayed in line for seven hours just for the chance. Then she found out the concert tickets she bought online were fakes.

It felt wrong leaving her, but once inside the frantic backstage area, I tracked down Rian.

"Hey, how's it going?"

"Melanie? Long time, no see. The bus was a little boring without you there this time." Juggling a book in his hand, he smiled. "What can I do for you?"

Quickly telling him about the fan outside, he went to the door and made the girl's night. Rian signed her autograph book, and even posed for a few pictures with the tear-stained teenager. It was obvious he cared about the fans, and seeing the thoughtfulness in action touched my heart.

Dorian gave my hand a final squeeze. "Better go help set some things up. My ass'll be on the line if I don't. You should double-check the microphones and sound system."

"Okay." I nodded.

Making my way under the bright stage lights, I went to the center microphone and rechecked the wires. They were all connected and in working order, so it made my job easier. Entering behind the heavy folds of curtain, I ran right into someone's chest.

"Sorry, Jack."

Adrenaline running high, his legs shuffled back and forth. It almost looked like he was jumping. He grinned widely. "Hey. How are you? Are you pumped up for the show?"

"Not as much as you apparently." I smirked, holding a laugh back.

"It'll be badass. I guarantee it."

"Are you gonna go all Pete Townshend and smash your guitar?" I questioned, really wishing to see some metal and guitar strings go flying.

"It's a possibilty. And by the way, have you seen our singer?"

"No, I haven't seen Alex since earlier today. I thought you guys were attached at the hip."

"Damn, can't keep track of him. He needs one of those kid-leashes parents have when they take the family to Disneyworld."

"That'd make a good birthday present." I suggested.

Laughing, Jack continued, "I'll have to search eBay for that. But I figured he'd be with you. It always seems like wherever you are, he is these days."

That was a thought to ponder. Filing it away for later digestion, I said, "Well you might want to find him soon. He could be an important part of the concert."

"Just maybe." Jack joked. Scanning the crowd, his eyes lit up. "There he is."

Jack pointed across the stage. Alex stood with his head bent low to a female fan around his own age. An arm was strung around her waist. The blonde pulled him close to her smiling face for a photograph, then kept the distance close to show him the final shot.

A pang of something I recognized as jealousy rang through me. Surprised, I stepped away from Jack, and he noticed the abrupt movement immediately.

Jack looked at me curiously, "What's gotten into you?" Resting a hand against my forehead, he pretended to check my temperature as if I were coming down with a cold.

Trying to push Alex's image out of my head, I replied. "Nothing, I guess."
♠ ♠ ♠
Not much Alex in this one. Oops. But a nice chapter ending?
And Dorian not being so much of an ass haha.
Comments? :) Enjoy!