Sequel: Painting Flowers
Status: Finished. :)

Six Feet Under the Stars

Fresh Impressions

"Do you really need all of those condoms?" Jack asked after being let in the hotel room. His eyes traveled over the square packages strewn about the bedroom. "Seems a little much for one night."

Alex shrugged, "Whatever works."

"Guys, this isn't the time." I spoke getting worked up and pacing the carpet. "You said Dorian's in the lobby?"

"Yeah. I was down there trying to find out if they served a free breakfast here, which really should be required at all hotels. I mean, who doesn't like free food? When you wake up in a strange city in the morning and want a bowl of Wheaties--."

"Jack." I cut him off, internally groaning.

"Sorry, my stomach just took over. But yeah, I was down in the lobby and I saw Dorian walking around there. He was talking to the front desk clerk, more like yelling though. Demanding a key to the room and saying that someone was taking advantage of you and he was going to stop it. All that chivalric bullshit."

Breathing out in frustration, I wrapped my arms around myself. "Well, I gotta get out of here then."

The lust ridden atmosphere had faded into a fearful dome covering all of us. Dorian could have had anything on his mind, including smashing Alex's face into the ground. He was a loose cannon and anything could happen when he was in one of his bad moods. It was the unpredictability that made it truly frightening.

Alex restrained me with a hand, "Woah, don't just run off. This is a perfect time to tell him."

"Tell him what?"

"That we're sort of together." Alex grinned at me, "I didn't kiss you for nothing. What we have might work; we should test it out."

"Alex," I started softly, "A relationship is too far. Earlier was just... poor judgement on my part. That shouldn't have happened."

"Shouldn't have happened?" Alex looked shocked and hurt. His hand dropped from my arm. "I was okay for a drunken night of bad judgment, but nothing else for you?"

"Uh..." Caught in the battlefield, Jack shifted awkwardly between the two of us.

Sighing, I gathered up my purse from the bed and strung it on my arm. Turning my back to him, I found it much easier to lie. "Alex, you know I don't think that about you. Things are just too complicated right now to worry about this."

"By 'this' I guess you mean 'me'. Really nice, Melanie."

"You're making this harder than it has to be. You can make me sound like a horrible person later; right now, I'm done. I can't think."

Making my way to the door, Alex didn't stop me. Fresh air was all I needed to clear my head. Pressing the elevator button, I closed my eyes wishing that all of these problems would just disappear. "Melanie!" I heard down the hallway.

"Shit." I mumbled punching the button repeatedly. The door dinged open and a furious Dorian stood in the corner. When he saw me his face morphed. The mirrors reflected the ugly expression written all over his face.

"You left so fast, I couldn't--." Jack cut off as he bumped into the back of me.

"What do you think you're doing?" Dorian directed his words to Jack. "You think sneaking around with another guy's girl is okay? I don't know where the hell you come from but that's not how things go down for me. I don't care if I work for you, I'll kick your ass."

"I'm not really sure what you're talking about." Jack said, confused.

"Stop acting like such a dumbshit." Dorian threw himself forward and was in Jack's face. He had obviously confused Jack for Alex. "This isn't right."

"Hey, calm down." I tried to pull Dorian to a safe distance. "It's not him."

"Stop trying to pull this shit on me." He growled grabbing onto the top of Jack's shirt and backing him up against the wall. "Don't touch my things. I've never been good with sharing. She," he shot a finger in my direction, "is mine. Don't talk to her again."

"Dorian, stop it. Please."

He shoved Jack away from him, "Next time you won't be so lucky. I'll be watching out for you."

Jack brushed himself off looking pissed. "You're fucking crazy man. Seriously, loopy in the head."

"Just get out of here." I wisely told Jack. "I'm sorry this had to happen. You shouldn't have been here."

"Get away from that psycho before it's too late." Jack advised me while throwing a glare at Dorian.

Seething, Dorian snatched my arm and pulled me into the waiting elevator once Jack had rounded the corner. The bruises that once were fading were now being impressed on my skin again. He kept a strong hold on my arm, which started to tingle from the loss of blood circulation. When the doors opened on the roadie floor, Dorian pushed me out of them and into the hall. "C'mon." He told me, pushing me slightly. "Let's go discuss this."

I knew what that meant. "No. I don't want to. I'm not going back to that again."

Suddenly and selfishly, I wished for Alex to be there. Telling him that the kisses we had shared were a mistake was almost the best lie I had ever told. The look on his face told me everything I needed to know; he believed the my words fully. The guilt ran through my veins and suddenly I knew that I shouldn't be with Dorian. It was him that was the mistake, not Alex.

"Yes, we are. You don't have a say in this."

"You're not in charge of me." I told him defiantly, hands on my hips. "I'm tired of this bullshit."

"I'm not in charge?" He laughed but there was no humor. "Want me to show you how much I'm not in charge?"

Without a reply from me, Dorian pulled me forcefully toward a hotel room. I tried to break away from his grip but he held on. The strength in his muscles flexed angrily. His years of bouncer work were the cause of that. Losing out, Dorian pushed me into the room and locked the door. He was breathing heavily and his eyes looked crazed like a wild animal.

"You make me like this." He accused as he cracked his knuckles, something he did often when he was stressed out. "It's not me. You bring this side out of me. The stupid shit you do drives me crazy."

I backed up to the bed as he kept walking forward. "You can't keep using me as an excuse. Get some help."

"Don't tell me what to do." He spat before going to work: Slapping me across the face and leaving a handprint was only the beginning. Shoving me into the table wasn't enough. Apparently a bruised eye from a punch worthy in the fighting ring was the grand finale.

Tears leaking out of my puffy and bruised eye, Dorian decided a trip to the lobby for us was a great way to spend the time. It was disgusting how normal he could become after beating me. I was too worn out, spirit too broken to fight back anymore. I followed him like a zombie, keeping silent as he made small talk about looking for comic books while we road the elevator down. On the ground floor, only a few people seemed to notice my eye.

Keeping my head down low, I stood a good distance away while Dorian spoke to the front desk clerk. A soft hand slowly turned me in the opposite direction.

"Melanie, I know you probably don't want to see me," Alex began, "But Jack said Dorian was acting crazy. I just wanted to check if you're alright. I figure if we sit down with Dorian and explain everything he'll be okay with it. We can come up with a good story. Since you really want it, you two can still be together."

I mumbled something about doing it later while not meeting his eyes. The embarassment at being caught with fresh bruises was overwhleming. It was shameful, like a secret that should be hidden away. I didn't want Alex dragged into this.

"And... I get what else you said. I might not agree with it, but I should have realized you were with Dorian and not have pushed you like that. I delused myself into thinking you felt like I did, but now I know."

"Alex, don't say things like that." I spoke softly.

"Look at me. Come on, I want to see those blue eyes." His sweet voice coaxed me into security.

Sheepishly, I met his gaze and saw his eyes go wide with shock. They quickly settled into hard fury. With a careful hand, he traced my bruised eye with soft fingers and winced as I did the same because even the lightest touch was painful.

"You?" Dorian spoke from over at the counter catching the site of Alex. He directed his next question at me while trudging over in anger, "This is the piece of shit you wanted to leave me for? That's fucking ridiculous. Melanie, you're the same as him. All you are is a dumb piece of--."

Alex's fist collided with Dorian's jaw.
♠ ♠ ♠
Somewhat hastily written.A little questionable. Leave me comments! :) Enjoy.