Sequel: Painting Flowers
Status: Finished. :)

Six Feet Under the Stars

Chocolate Chip Pancakes

"I think they've finally lost our trail." Peering out of a side window, Jack squinted his eyes to study the cars passing behind the bus.

Recently, the other two buses on the trip had broken away from the lead bus. Being older, the other buses had to stop to do an engine check after one started to steam. Fuel was also another concern for the aging vehicles.

"Jackie, I hate to break the news to you, but you're not James Bond."

He scowled, "Well, you just did a good job of crushing my childhood dreams. Thanks, Rian, thanks a lot."

"You know I'm always here for you." Rian replied, choosing to ignore Jack's sarcasm.

"We were never trying to lose them in the first place." Zack pointed out, leaning his back against the kitchen wall.

"Seems like we did a pretty good job for not trying. It's a little suspicious."

Alex snorted with laughter, "You really love those conspiracy theories, Jack. Why would we want to get away from our other two buses? What's the point?"

"Freedom?" I suggested, hearing Alex's words as I entered the room.

"Maybe." He allowed, not sounding convinced. Eyes lingering on me, he continued, "We're stopping at the next exit though to wait for them. Shouldn't take too long; they just had to get gas before we did. Even the engines couldn't slow those old bastards down."

As the tour bus exited the highway, Zack directed the driver towards a family-run cafe using street signs and an old paper map. Yawning, I thought coffee would be a great pick-me-up for the long trip as we trodded out of the vehicle.

The driver, Alvin, decided to take a quick nap to regain his energy, while the rest of us piled into a cramped booth. Our knees touched under the table, and on the bench the five of us were steated hip to hip.

The inside of the small restaurant was filled with senior citizens. Glancing up from their fried chicken, they looked at the newcomers uneasily. Their hesitant eyes passed over the group of us quickly when it was clear we just wanted food and not trouble.

"Whoever's playing footsie with me, can you please stop?" Zack shifted uncomfortably in the booth.

"Sorry." Jack apologized from behind the menu the two of us were sharing.

"That's cute." Alex commented cheerfully from across the table while he fiddled with an open napkin dispenser. The metal container was puking paper napkins.

A blonde waittress hussled to our table. She was a little plump and had striking hazel eyes with flecks of color in them. Smiling politely, she set down silverware at each of our places.

"Hi. I'm Mary-Anne. What can I get you today?" Waiting expectantly, her pen was poised over a notepad. The five of us ordered a pot of coffee while we scanned over the menu options.

"Oh. Chocolate chip pancakes." Alex pointed a finger to the left side of his menu and read, "'A stack of four of our famous pancakes loaded with melted chocolate chips. Topped with whipped cream.' That sounds glorious."

"Yeah," I began sarcastically, "I think you need more sugar."

He grinned, "There's no limit to how much sugar I can pile in my system, really. I'll split them with you if you're really concerned about my eating habits."

"Sure, I'll help you out. Someone has to look out for that figure of yours." I joked, feeling Alex's knee lean against mine from underneath the tabletop.

"I appreciate the concern. These'll go right to my thighs." Playfully, he bumped his leg against mine twice before moving it away.

Next to me, Jack hid his face behind the communal menu while hunching down. Whispering up to me, he said, "Melanie, come here."

Conspiratorially, I bent down with him as the paper blocked out the rest of the world. I shifted my eyes back and forth searching for imaginary eavesdroppers. "What?"

"I'll let you in on a little secret."

"You two lovers play nice back there." Zack joked, flicking the menu so it bopped against our heads.

"I'm feeling pretty left out." Rian spoke from the other side of me as his spoon clattered in his coffee mug. "Where's the love?"

Ignoring them, Jack continued, "I'm breaking some major confidences telling you this, but I think you should know. It's only right for best friends to look out for each other, and I want to help him." Dropping his voice lower, he continued, "Alex has a thing for you."

Heat rising to my face, I could feel my heart beat thundering in my chest. "No, he doesn't."

"He does. He hasn't really said anything, but I see it. Alex assaulted my leg under the table before he found yours. I'm pretty sure that counts as sexual battery in at least twelve states. And anyway, he's single now, so..." Jack trailed off suggestively, wiggling his eyebrows.

Smacking his arm, I couldn't help but laugh. It wasn't long before I became serious again, "Yeah, I heard about that earlier today. It's pretty terrible."

Jack looked taken aback. "He told you?"

"Yeah." It sounded like a question.

"That's a big deal. He's easy to talk to, but Alex doesn't just give things like that away. Trust isn't easy for him. Hell, I'm his best friend and it took him years to tell me that kind of shit. Kinda makes me think all the quality time was a waste."

"You're all off, Jack. And besides, it can't happen anyway; I'm with Dorian." I told him quietly, before sitting back up against the booth.

"We both know that's bullshit."

I couldn't disagree with that statement.

But Jack's theory was all a mistake, I figured. He was just trying to get Alex back on the dating train as soon as possible to clog the hurt of Caitlyn's betrayal. That's all it was, I told myself.

Subtly, I glanced up at Alex. From beneath a gray beanie, he studied me with a grin, "Don't go running off on me with Jack now. You have to give me fair warning so I can prepare my heart for the blow."

Under his breath, Jack muttered, "Told you."
♠ ♠ ♠
More updates. Leave me a comment. :)
How are you all liking this, eh?
Enjoy!