Arcane Guardians

Chapter 21

I wanted to run over to Alex and help him, but I couldn't move. "Al..." I couldn't even say his name. Alex's tail was moving a tiny bit, but he wasn't getting up. His wings covered his face, and feathers covered the ground. A small amount of blood was on his white feathers where the wings ripped out of his back. My whole body was paralyzed, and I couldn't do anything about it.
Alex, I want to help but my body is paralyzed. I'm so sorry. I waited to hear his voice in my head. No answer. Alex! Please get up! He just laid there, as still as I am. His tail wasn't moving anymore. I saw his paw rise, but it fell back to the ground. That's it. Keep trying! Alex rose his paw again, then the other. He was half way up. Ayden, are you alright? Alex was up and standing now. Kind of. I'm sort of paralyzed right now though.
I watched as Alex slowly walked over to me. That kick to the head really hurt. Alex shook his head as if he was trying to shake the pain away. Yeah I bet. Salem is really strong. I couldn't even loosen his grip on my wrists. As I talked to Alex with my mind, my body was as still as stone. I better get you out of here before classes get out. Alex blinked his ice-blue wolf eyes at me. Yeah. Alex grabbed my jacket sleeve and pulled me forward. He let go of my sleeve and grabbed the back of my jacket. He gently put me on his back between his wings. My arms fell to either side of him, as did my legs.
Alex started walking down the halls with me. His paws made almost no sound as they hit the floor. Are you sure your okay Ayden? Alex turned his head sideways so he could get a glance at me. His voice sounded so concerned. Yeah. I'm okay. Alex put his head forward and continued walking silently down the halls. Oh, and thanks for saving me. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. Alex smiled. I could feel it. I'll have to chant a cloaking spell for you. If I don't, then the humans might see you. Alex lifted his head and let out a small high pitched howl. So, that's what a chant sounds like when your in wolf form. I chuckled in my mind.
Alex made it to the doubled doors and pushed them opened with his paw. Alex stepped outside. We went out the front doors, which led us to the stone pathway. Alex looked around just in case his chant didn't work- but it did. No one knew we were here. I looked to the left- which was the only way I could look- and saw the tables, a few bushes, and a couple of trees. Alex stepped forward. His wings slowly rose up, then down. I watched as his wings lifted him from the ground. I'll fly slowly so you don't fall off.
Alex flew ever so gracefully. His wings moving through the air, and feathers disappearing in the distance. The constant movement through the sky made the wind blow onto my face and through my hair. It sent shivers through my paralyzed body. I looked down out of the corner of my eyes. What I saw was beautiful. Yellow and orange colored trees, leaves everywhere on the ground, and a bright blue sky. The wonderful morning smell was still going strong, and I noticed the dew smell too. Do you know how long I'll be paralyzed? Alex glance at me. I'm not sure. Most of the times, the one who does the paralyzing kiss can control how long they want their prey to be paralyzed. And if they want, they can kiss someone and not paralyze them at all. It's the owner of the paralyzing kiss's choice. Alex looked back infront of him. Oh. I guess I have to wait it out and see.
Alex flew for just a few more minutes after our talk. He landed right infront of my house. Can you move your arms? Alex looked at me through the corner of his eye. I tried to lift my arms, but my arms didn't move, not even a little. No, I can't move them. I glanced at Alex. Why? Alex didn't answer. He walked closer to the door and pawed at it. I don't have hands right now. I'll have to change into human form to get you inside. I was still looking at Alex when he said that. The downside of that is... I won't have any clothes on. I don't know if wolves can blush, but behind his coat of fur, I could tell he was. That's a problem. I looked away from Alex, but immediatly looked back at him. Yeah, a problem it is. Alex stood still for a moment. Can you close your eyes? My eyes widened. What? Your going to transform? Well I guess you have no other choice. I sighed in my mind and closed my eyes. I felt a strange but smooth movement under me. Suddently I was on my back. I opened my eyes, forgetting that I was supposed to keep them shut.
I was in Alex's arms. He had already opened the door and passed by the living room. I looked directly at his face as soon as my eyes opened. "Weren't you supposed to keep your eyes closed?" Alex said in a joking tone of voice. Alex smiled a really big smile at me. I tried to smile back, but I couldn't move my mouth. "It's ok. You don't have to strain your muscles. I know your smiling." Alex's smile grew. He walked up the stairs and headed straight for my room. He opened my bedroom door and set me on my bed. Alex pulled the covers from up under me, and put them on me. "I don't know if it gets cold in here so I'll put these covers on you. If it gets to hot, please tell me. Well tell me through your mind of course." Alex gave a little chuckle and headed to the door.
As he headed for the door I closed my eyes so I wouldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I opened my eyes after the door slammed shut. Now what to do? I looked around my room through the corner of my eyes. Well I can't do anything right now anyways. I tried moving my arms and feet, but my several attemps were useless. That stupid Salem. If he weren't at school then I could have enjoyed my day and I could have hung out with my best friend Krista. There's nothing I can do now, might as well sleep- although I would rather not. I forced my eyelids closed and tried counting sheep. One sheep, two sheep, three sheep, four sheep, five sheep. This isn't working! Who ever said counting sheep helps you sleep... Well they lied. My eyelids busted opened. Why is it that I can sleep any other time, but now I can't? My life is messed up today! After I got done arguing with myself, I heard chuckling on the other side of my bedroom door.
The chuckling stopped and the door started opening. Alex was standing in the doorway. He was wearing blue jeans that had rips in the legs, and a faded black shirt. Why were you laughing? My annoyed voice was probably echoing through his head. "I didn't mean to laugh. It's just..." Alex paused his words and walked over to the foot of my bed and sat down. "...funny. You should try humming a song. It always helps me go to sleep." Alex stared at me for the slightest moment then started humming a song. The song sounded familular. Alex stopped humming. "It's called 'Evil Angel,' do you know it?" Alex looked at me. I thought for a moment. Yeah, I know that song. Alex smiled. He didn't start humming though... he started singing. "Put me to sleep evil angel." Alex had closed his eyes as he sung, but opened them and looked directly at me. "Sing with me." Alex asked me. Fine. I waited a moment then sang the next part. Open your wings evil angel. I sang so loud, and so melodic in my head that it sent shivers down my own spine. When I stopped singing I looked over at Alex. His eyes were wide. What? Alex snapped out of his daze. "Your voice is so angelic, so wonderful. It's quite beautiful." Alex scooted towards me.
Alex stood up and started humming again. He gathered me in his arms and sat on the bed and started singing again. I joined in his singing. What else could I do? Lay in his arms and look stupid? I think not. Alex began with the same verse he sang earlier. "Put me to sleep evil angel." His voice had changed from before. It was more melodic, and was soothing. As soon as he finished his verse I sang mine. Open your wings evil angel. As I sang, white wings surrounded Alex and I.
White feathers from his wings fell onto the bed and ground, where they stayed while we sang in harmony. "Fly over me evil angel." Alex's voice was twice as beautiful then before. A wall of white feathers surrounded us with only a small escape. Why can't I breathe evil angel. My voice was a little softer now.
Alex laid me down and he laid down beside me. "I'll keep you company until you fall asleep. Then I'll leave you." Alex's soft wings made contact with my skin and acted as a cover over me. As we sang, my voice faded into the background and I fell into a deep sleep.