Status: On pause Writers Block sorry :/

Life Goes on, With or Without You

This is as complicated as it gets

I woke up but it was an odd feeling just trying to open my eyes. When I finally got them open my vision was playing games with me. My eyes were having trouble focusing; things kept going in and out of focus. I was even having trouble thinking, this was overwhelming. My movements were slow and difficult, moving my arm felt like running upstairs with a blindfold while holding 7 soccer balls (Note: Please do not attempt this for you may end up in a hospital yourself.) After concentrating on my thoughts and eyes for awhile I realized I was in my room? This isn’t making any sense at all. I couldn’t even remember the last thing that happened. And what is that annoying beeping sound.

I turned my heavy head to the right of me to see a heart rate monitor. Oh god… my room is a hospital. I need answers; I don’t have any casts or bandages just some needles and well the usual stuff. I tried to sit up but this was the most difficult task of my life. My arms were jelly, actually that would be an understatement, they actually felt like water. I sat up but just ended up slumping forward, I felt so lethargic and I realized how heavy I was breathing. I know I was never athletic but I wasn’t this out of shape. I didn’t even feel human at the moment.

“mmmagh” I tried to call out to my mom but my words were mushy and slurred.
How long would I stay like this until someone realized I was incapable of helping myself? So I did the only logical thing that occurred to me. With the little strength I had I removed all the technical stuff from me and in seconds the monitor went flat line. I pathetically tossed it to the floor waiting for someone to come in. What if nobody ever came for me?

“May?” I heard an unfamiliar voice. I looked up and saw a lady, did I know her? Wait did I lose my memory…. Then she walked out. Why the hell did she just leave me here? I had so many questions and no answers. Then she walked back in.

“Sorry about that I just called Dr. Valdin, she is on her way. I’m sure you have questions or a lot on your mind but I’ll leave that for Valdin to answer. By the way I’m your care taker, you can call me Kathy.” She smiled as she put pillows behind me so I could effortlessly be in a sit up position. I just stared at her I was too weak to talk. I slowly started remembering what happened, from saying bye to my mom and Landon. Then getting lost with Amanda and then the world just went black. If I’m here where’s Amanda?

“mmduh” I barely blurted out. Why was I having so much trouble speaking I need water. When is this groggy feeling going to go away? I heard the door bell ring; I hope Landon’s come to visit me, even though I probably look like crap at least I had a good excuse.

“I’ll be back,” Kathy said as she walked away.

I looked at my legs, I couldn’t really quite move them… What if I’m paralyzed from the waist down? Oh no move legs move! I couldn’t even move my arms anymore, I looked at my hand and willed my fingers to move but I felt exhausted. What made it even worst was I couldn’t even muster up tears to cry the frustration away.

“Good afternoon I’m Dr. Valdin,” some women walked in with a bag and some clipboard. “Okay I know you have a lot of questions but please try to be patient I don’t want you to stress yourself out ok. For starters I want you to blink twice for yes and once for no.”

I blinked twice.

“Okay good, Do you know your full name?” I blinked twice

Quite honestly this went on, they were really basic questions. I even realized I still had feeling in my legs so that was a bit of a relief. It wasn’t until my parents showed up that she started to fully explain what was going on.

“May now that your parents are here, I’m going to explain to you what is going on.” I blinked twice, “On August 12th 2009 Amanda and you spun out of control because a tire blew out. This led to other accidents and the car you guys were in fell off the cliff. They didn’t think anyone had survived the accident but when they got to you guys you were still alive. You had some broken ribs and a broken arm. But the biggest thing was your head injury, which has led you to be in a coma for a little less than two years now. If you were wondering today is March 13, 2011. You should be fine in recovery but it’s different with everybody, only time will tell. But so far there are a lot of good signs, for example; you still have your memory, and you seem pretty aware of everything around you.”

She went on but I really cared less, I didn’t even know what this meant. My brain couldn’t comprehend what to do now. I always had a plan for everything, and now I was behind two years. At this point I just wish I was back into the coma…

1 month later

Its April now and I have a good amount of movement in my arms and I can keep a decent conversation now. Although I want recovery to go faster the doctor says that I’ve made an incredible amount of progress. I haven’t seen Landon yet, but my parents told me he’s off in college but they informed his parents that I was awake. This past month has been tough. I also found out that Amanda didn’t make it; it’s odd to see how life has moved on without me. As for college, my mom promised that when I have more progress that I can attend classes at the community college here. It’s obviously not what I wanted but at this point I don’t think I have a choice. Also it’s odd because nobody uses MySpace anymore, everyone has a Facebook…

Another Month later

It’s May, I’m finally ‘walking’ well actually I have forearm crutches. This is what my dad always told me is my luckiest month. He also says it’s true because they finally killed Osama Bin Laden… I’m excited because Landon is coming home to visit this weekend. Quite honestly I need an escape from this and I think seeing him is a good way to start.

“May is everything alright in there?” My mom asked

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I lied. I didn’t know what to wear Landon was going to be here any minute now. I didn’t know what to wear and it didn’t help that I was having self esteem problems either…

After what seemed like forever I finally decided on some Bermuda shorts with a short sleeved button up shirt. I sat on my bed and put my crutches to one side. I was sleepy, but I hardly get any sleep because I’m scared that I won’t wake up. I laid down just staring at the ceiling making out figures and shapes. I heard a knock on my door it was my mom again.

“Come in” I said but I didn’t move from where I was at. I heard the door open and close but my mom didn’t say anything. When I sat up I saw Landon. He looked like he got a makeover but its obvious people change in a span of two years. He stared at me, and I patted the spot next to me. He slowly walked towards me; he seemed to be in a state of shock. He sat down next to me, and then he softly touched my arm then my hair. It was like he was seeing if I was real or that at any moment I would shatter into a million pieces if he made any sudden movement. He put his hand under my chin and when I looked at him I could see his eyes were tearing up. He leaned in he was so close I could feel his breath on my lips.
“May,” he barely whispered as I saw his tears fall down and he hugged me so tight and just cried.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was rather difficult for me, I was having a debate whether to make the whole coma thing as realistic as possible or just however Hollywood would portray it so in the end I made it half and half. Yeah, I feel this isn't the best chapter but that's because I did a load of research for the whole coma thing.... So don't want to bore you anymore.
Thank you,
Weeping.willow