Life, Love and Other Disasters

Foul Play

To: -Hannah-@hotmail.com
From: KirkJ@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Miss you

How are things going with your parents? Have they told your sisters yet? Are you okay? In your last e-mail you didn’t sound so good. When my parents divorced I really just tried to take it calmly and kept reminding myself it was for the best. I'm sure your sisters will eventually come through.
Have you thought about coming to visit me this weekend? I miss you so much and it's been ages since we've seen each other. If you decide to come, could you call me instead of emailing please? That way we can plan it better and you can be sure I get the message.
Take lots of care and remember I'm always here for you.
Kirk

---

"Where are we going?" Rory asked her older sister as she climbed into the passenger seat of her car.

"Somewhere,” Hannah smiled.

"Oh, come on. You know I hate surprises," she replied, tilting her head and giving her a death glare.

"Fine. I'll give you a hint: what's something you love to do?"

"That isn't a good hint! I like to do lots of things."

"Hey, I never said it would be a good one," Hannah grinned as she pulled out of the driveway.

Rory frowned as she listened to the music coming from the car stereo. It sounded like something you could fall asleep to.

"I have no idea how you can listen to this."

"Indie music just seems soft and boring compared to all the loud rock you listen to, but really it's not."

Rory groaned and stared out the window. She already pictured it: they were going to arrive to whatever place they were going and she was going to be a mess from having slept in the car because of Hannah’s music. Messy hair, puffy eyes and a drooled face really wasn't the look she was going for.

"You can change it," Hannah finally said.

She always gave up easily. It was one of the best and worst things about her. Rory liked it in certain situations, but feared others might take advantage of her because of it.

"How about I put Queen?"

It was really a rhetorical question because Queen was one of the few bands they both liked. And plus, they could both sing all the songs by heart at the top of their lungs, so it was more fun than listening to any other band.

“Somebody to Love” blasted through the speakers as they sang their hearts out. Some people in passing cars stared at them with strange expressions, but they didn't care. They rarely did, since they couldn't care less what others’ opinions of them were. Sure, they might be a little crazy and a little loud but that was who they were and they enjoyed it.

"We're almost there," Hannah said excitedly.

Rory looked out at the window blankly as she remembered what they had to get their mind off of.

"Here we are."

She looked at the building before her and then looked at her sister.

"We're going to paintball?"

Hannah smiled widely.

"Oh, come on, Rory, I've always wanted to try it!"

"You just don't seem like the type of person who would enjoy this. But I'm up for it!"

As they entered the building, Hannah's smile began to wilt. She looked nervous, scared even. All the fancy gear was intimidating.

"You know, we can always go to the mall instead," Rory suggested, feeling sorry for her.

"I want to do this. It'll be... fun," she replied, trying to sound convinced.

They paid and in turn got their masks, paintball guns and ammo. The person in charge explained the rules briefly to Hannah.

"Alright, all you have to do is try to get the opponent eliminated and to do that, you have to shoot them. If the paintball breaks and leaves a mark the size of a quarter or larger, that player is out. You, obviously, must avoid getting hit. You must keep your mask on at all times and you can't shoot unless you're a minimum of 15 feet away. You may not wipe the paint away from your attire or do what we call overshooting, which is shoot a player after they are eliminated. Since you're a beginner, we'll give you three lives so you can play more and not be eliminated from the start."

"That's great," Hannah replied, faking a smile.

"We'll put you into teams with a group we have waiting already, if it's alright with you girls."

"Yeah, sure," Rory said.

While he went to get them, Rory and Hannah suited up. As soon as they saw how they looked in the mask, they began laughing almost hysterically. It really wasn't that funny, but Hannah's nerves made her laugh uncontrollably, which only made Rory laugh harder.

"Don't I look so sexy with these on?" Hannah said, puckering her lips and striking a pose.

They heard some laughs behind them and turned to find a group of guys looking their way.
Hannah turned bright red as Rory tried to hide her laughter.

"You look great," one of the guys said, which only caused them all to laugh again.

Rory and Hannah exchanged a look. And not just any kind of look. It was the type that you do when you see a group of cute guys you made a fool of yourself in front of.

"All you have to do is form teams and you're all set to play," the instructor said, leaving them to decide.

"We'll separate you two so neither team has a handicap," one of the guys said.

"A handicap?" Rory asked, steaming, "Please, I could beat you blindfolded."

"Really?" he challenged.

"Definitely."

Rory was never one to back down when she was defied.

"You're on Parker's team."

Hannah just looked on, looking frail and vulnerable.

"Your friend can go on my team. That way, at least one person won't shoot at her."

Rory looked back at her sister and saw the way she fumbled with the equipment and tried hard not to appear nervous and her heart sunk. She was doing all of that just to make her have a good time and forget their problems.

---

"How bad do you really want to get in?" Brittany asked, leaning against Brooklyn's locker.

She had assisted the cheerleading tryouts and thought she had a pretty good chance of getting in. Not only had she done gymnastics for many years, but she was also popular.

"What do you mean?" Brooklyn asked, pushing a blond strand of hair out of her eyes.

"Most people don't know this, but each and every cheerleader that gets in the team has to pass a few tests."

"Tests? My gymnastics coach warned me not to push my body too much during practice."

"No, it's not a physical test. More of a commitment test. You see, we have to be sure you really want to be a cheerleader."

"I do."

"Does that mean you accept the challenge?"

Brooklyn paused. It seemed kind of scary, the way she put it.

"Look, Brooklyn. If we are giving you this opportunity it means you have a good chance of getting in. Don't let it go to waste."

"Alright. What do I have to do?"

"We'll let you know soon enough."

And just like that, she left, as quickly as she had arrived.

Brooklyn wondered what kind of test it would be. She was anxious to prove to them that she really had what it took to join the team. And she intended to do just that, no matter what she had to do. They couldn’t propose anything that bad anyways.

---

Lucy walked to the supermarket, bored as ever. Her mother had sent her to get some things, since her sisters were all gone. Sometimes she felt left out with her sisters, since Rory and Hannah always did things together and Brooklyn always went with her friends. Some people think having a twin means having a connection with that person, like another part of you. Well, that wasn't their case at all.

As she looked through the aisles for some new cereal her mom wanted to try, she heard someone call her. As she turned, she recognized Trent, Rory's best friend.

"Hey, Lucy. How are you doing?" he asked, walking beside her as she kept searching.

"I'm alright."

Which was a complete lie. But you can’t just pour your feelings out in the middle of a supermarket.
"What are you looking for so intently?" he teased.

"Some cereal my mom wants. I don't think they even exist..."

"I'll help you. Two pairs of eyes are better than one,” he said, smiling.

She smiled back at him, but quickly looked away. She was afraid if she stared at him too long, he would somehow see written all over her face how much she liked him. He seemed like the perfect guy. With his blonde hair and blue eyes and on top of that, his awesome personality, he was any girl's dream.

They searched frantically, until he finally found it, in a corner of the supermarket, practically hidden from view.

"Thanks so much. I owe you one," Lucy said, as she got in line to pay for it.

"I know exactly how you can pay me back.”

"Already?"

"Yup. You have to let me buy you a drink anywhere you choose."

Was he asking her out?

"That's not really fair for you," she replied, smiling.

"Hey, it's my choice and you do owe me, right?"

"Right..."

"So, where do you want to go?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading. It's much appreciated!
-Brenda