Status: Complete

Cat and Mouse

Paradise

Mr. Caputo pulled the envelope out of the mail box. There was only one name written above the address, 'Caputo', and there was no return address. Curiosity got the best of him and he immediately tore through the seal. He pulled out a single blank piece of paper that was folded three times. He unfolded it and seen the black ink scrawled across the sheet. The flourish of the pen had carefully formed each letter with perfection, writing out:

"The job is over."

He was immediately confused when he seen the check he had written to Wolfe paper-clipped to the bottom of the note. Had she decided to do it for free, or had she decided not to do it at all? One thing was certain, if the Saints lived, and the Yakavettas found out, he would be in trouble.

Six Months Later


Wolfe took a deep breath and smiled as she exhaled. Her eyes were closed against the sun's light, despite that she was wearing her wayfarers. She stretched her legs out in her lounge chair before grabbing her martini from the small wicker table that sat next to her. She smiled when she seen Paul walking across the beach towards her. She could see a book in his hand, it was a rather thick book.

"So you decided to let your hair grow back out?" he asked as he sat next to her.

She shrugged, "Maybe. I kind of like it this length." She ran her fingers through the chin-length waves and asked, "What do you think?"

"It looks great."

"What's that?" she asked, eyeing the book that he still held in his hand.

"My book. It came today. I thought I'd let you be the first to read it."

He handed it to her and she smiled as she looked at the cover. She read out loud, "The Boondock Saints: The Unauthorized Biography of the Vigilante Brothers Known as the Saints of Boston." A small chuckle escaped from her before she said, "By Rocco Greenly."

"A pen name of course," Paul told her.

Her smile grew wider, "Of course." She flipped the book over and seen a picture of Connor and Murphy. There was a small description written underneath, and she read that as well. "'The author's insights are astounding, as if he was actually there with the brothers from the very first kill, all the way to their demise at the hands of the mercenary known only as Wolfe. Their story is brilliantly written, and gives us deeper insight into why the MacManus brothers took out the best of Boston's worst.'" She smiled and looked at Paul, "You even added me to the story. How sweet."

"Well, you did have a very big impact in the boy's life." He glanced out at the ocean, squinting his eyes against the setting sun, "especially Murphy's."

She smiled and sat the book in her lap, "Yeah, but I think he had an even bigger impact in mine."

"Of course, after all, he's the one that talked you into retirement."

She nodded and looked back at Paul, "Why'd you write that I killed them?"

"Well, I couldn't have people knowing they're still alive and hunting them down the way you did. Plus, I don't think Connor can charm his way out of that situation the way Murphy did."

"What are you two talking about?" Connor asked as he and Murphy joined them. They were dripping wet with ocean water, and Wolfe couldn't help but chuckle when Murphy shook his head, shaking the water out of his hair.

"Paul's book came," she said, picking it back up and showing it to the brothers.

Murphy sat down next to Wolfe and put his arm around her shoulders, "Am I in it?"

"Of course ya big goof!" Wolfe told him as she playfully slapped his arm, "It's about you after all."

He grinned and leaned over, pressing his lips to hers. "Can't you two get a room?" Connor groaned.

Wolfe pulled away just enough to mutter, "This is my beach. Go get your own."

Connor rolled his eyes. Paul stood up and said, "C'mon Connor. I think Romeo's flight should be landing soon. We should go pick him up."

Connor nodded and stood up to go inside to change. As he walked away he called out, "Don't do anything I wouldn't."

Not wanting to break the kiss again, Wolfe flipped him off, which received chuckles from both Connor and Paul. Murphy pulled her closer and pulled away to look into her eyes. "You have no idea how happy I am that you let us live, Cynthia."

"I think I have an idea, because I know how happy I am that I didn't kill you."