Dérive

Warmth

It was getting to the part of the day where darkness swallowed up the world, but the darkness hadn’t shown itself yet. We could still see the street signs and everything clearly without the help of lights.

The signs were in slashes of lines, bending and folding over each other, in a way only the Japanese kanji does. The stream separating the walkways reflected the city in an upside down world, almost making me think it was another way to Wonderland where a person walked upside down, the sky holding them steady.

He held my hand, our fingers intertwined. If someone wanted to separate us, our hands would’ve had to be pried apart. His hand was warm, warmer than mine was. His warmth was absorbed by my hand, and travelled up my arm to the rest of my body, making me warm all over.

We made conversation, pointing out various items in the windows of the shops. He pointed to the things that were appealing to him, I doing the same.

Paper lanterns were slowly being lit as the darkness was arriving, signaling the end of another day. Here and there were spurts of yellow, orange, and light blue, kanji dancing in the colors as the lanterns swayed in the soft wind, wanting to carry it away.

I smelled tea being made, whiffs of peach sifting through the air as it brewed. He asked me if I wanted some, and I nodded. He kissed the top of my head as we walked across the red painted bridge, the smell of the tea making getting stronger as the darkness beat the day in it’s race across the sky.
♠ ♠ ♠
277 words.