Status: Finally completed~

Heartless

XIV

Friday couldn't come soon enough that week. Monday I had something (I still didn't quite know what it was) spilled down my back, Tuesday I was fairly safe except for depreciating stares, Wednesday I was locked in a locker, and on Thursday I would have had my head stuck in a toilet if a teacher hadn't chosen that exact time to walk in.

Now I stood beside Jace's locker, leaning my head against it as he slowly put in the combination between looking at me. “You know, if there's something on my face, tell me.” I mumbled. He smiled slightly and shook his head. “I was thinking, thank you.”

“Thinking? Shocker.”

Jace rolled his eyes and pulled his locker open, making it bang against my forehead and causing me to wince. “Oh, shit. Sorry. Glasses okay?” Jace's voice was muffled slightly since the top half of his body was inside his locker, making me glare at the door. “Well, my glasses are wonderful. I'm in a lot of pain, but you know, I'm fine.” I responded sarcastically. I heard him snort before he pulled his head out to look at me.

“Fine. I'm very sorry Willow. Is your head okay?”

“No.”

Jace laughed and went back into his locker. “Someone took their bitch pills today.” he said. I rolled my eyes, looking off to the side and noticing Karow staring at me intently. I felt my stomach churn uncomfortably and looked back to Jace, who was in the process of shutting his locker.

However, the following slamming noise wasn't from his locker.

It happened to be from my (rather small) body being shoved against the locker next to us by Karow (and even a few others) as they walked by, heading toward first period. I sighed, rubbing my shoulder as I leaned away from the lockers, looking down at my feet. I jumped when I felt a hand on my other shoulder, looking up to see Jace glaring in Karow's direction. “Ignore it.” I whispered.

His head whipped around to face me. “No, I'm not going to ignore it. I honestly don't know why you do.” he replied. I shrugged slightly, removing his hand from my shoulder and awkwardly patting it before letting go. “Nothing I can do to change it, now is there?”

“Maybe you need a body guard...”

I rolled my eyes and walked ahead toward Art, Jace following after a second. “Still think he could use a punch in the face. Homophobic asshole.”

“Most guys are. Which is why it bothers me that you aren't. Just another of your oddities I suppose.”

“Hey,” Jace started, “I happen to love those 'oddities'. And besides, without them, I wouldn't be me. And I enjoy being me. I'm... Me.” he mumbled, frowning slightly as I smirked. “Yeah, real intelligent there.”

“Oh fuck you.”

“No thanks.”

Jace was speechless after that one, choosing to stick out his tongue instead, causing me to laugh. “Really mature there Jace.”

Getting to lunch, I made sure I was one of the first people there, already sitting at my table with a few others (Leah, some random Art kids, some Band geeks) and waiting for Jace. I cringed slightly when Karow noticed me already sitting down, smirking slightly before walking away with some of his friends. I sighed and put my head down on my arms, jumping almost violently when a hand touched my lower back. I glanced over to see Jace raising an eyebrow. “Sorry? I think?” he mumbled. I shook my head. “No, it's fine. Sorry for jumping.”

He nodded, gently rubbing my back for a second before pulling it away quickly and clearing his throat. “Ah, you know, you make it very hard to get a girlfriend now.”

Ah, one good thing of being gay.

“Oh?” I asked, “How so?”

“Well, seeing as how you are now the most humiliated person in the school, thanks to the football team, a lot of hot girls don't really want to be dating 'that guy who hangs out with that gay guy all the time'.” he mumbled, smiling slightly and messing with his fork. I nodded slowly. “Sorry for being gay.” I replied.

He smiled more and looked over at me, nodding back. “It's okay. I should probably focus on not failing anyway.”

I nodded again and he sighed, looking back at his food with a suddenly dejected kind of look. “What?” I asked after a minute. He sighed again.

“I am so getting blue balls this year, I just know it...”

Jace followed me home off the bus, still ranting about how he was going to end up with blue balls. I was attempting to study on the couch while he was laying on the floor, groaning at any new thought that entered his mind. Eventually I sighed, snapping my book shut to glare down at him. “Jace. Please stop thinking about your balls for ten minutes.”

“But... They're my balls. I'm rather attached to them.”

“Not if I cut them off.” I sighed, making him gasp and frown. “You wouldn't dare.”

“Like hell I wouldn't.” I mumbled and stretched out, leaning my head back on the arm rest and closing my eyes, only to open them again as I felt a heavy weight on my legs. “Willow, tell me a story.” Jace said, patting my knees lightly.

I considered it for a moment before nodding slowly. “One condition...”

“What?”

“Get your fat ass off me.”

Jace snorted indignantly, slipping off me and back to the floor, letting me sit up, but only so he could move to sit in between my legs. “It's not fat. It's muscle.” he mumbled. I smiled, patting his head and leaning back to think. “What kind of story?”

“I don't know. Whatever your weird little mind thinks up.”

I knee'd him in the shoulder, smiling when he growled quietly. “Alright, I've got one I think.”

“Thank God. Out with it, before I lose interest.”

“Fuck you.”

“After the story perhaps.”

My heart stuttered as I felt my face heat up, extremely grateful that Jace chose to sit on the floor. “Willow...” he mumbled, elbowing my calf. “Right, right, sorry.” I sighed.

“Okay. So, once upon a time, there were two friends. They were best friends who did everything together. One day, the one friend decides they're in love with the other.”

“Cliche story.”

“Shush. Anyway, so the friend falls in love with the other one-”

“Why don't you say he? Or she?”

“It's a gender neutral story, now shut up. Where was I... Right. So the friend falls in love with the other one, even though they know the other will never love them back. The other friend is way out of their league-”

“I don't believe in 'leagues'.”

“Well that's you. Anyway, the other friend is out of their league, so the one settles for just being friends forever, stuck in the stage of unrequited love until the day they die. The end.”

“.... That was a shitty story.”

“Oh, I'd like to see you do better.” I glared, crossing my arms over my chest. Jace seemed to think for a minute before shrugging, leaning back against the couch and resting his elbows on my knees.

“Easy enough. Once upon a time, there was a unicorn. Named Bob. And Bob had a friend named Larry the Llama, who liked to wear ponchos and top hats.”

“Oh good God.”

“Shut up. So one day, Bob and Larry go out for a picnic, where Larry meets this pretty Llama named Sally, and Larry leaves Bob, so Bob is sad.”

“Poor Bob.”

“Zip it. Anyway, so after a couple weeks, Larry finds out Sally's a Transvestite, so Larry leaves Sally and goes back to Bob and at his house, they proceed to-”

“I swear to God if they have sex-”

“I was gonna say play chess you dirty minded little person.”

“Chess my ass!”

“Okay, maybe they were going to have sex-”

“I knew it!”

“But the point is-”

“The point is that I have two teenage boys in my living room arguing about chess and sex! Why?”

Both Jace and I slowly turned around to see Mom standing in the door way with her arms crossed over her chest. “... Hey Mom.” I mumbled. She raised an eyebrow as Jace snorted, rolling back over to make himself comfortable between my legs again.

Mom walked over and eyed us both again. “Well?”

Jace replied first, smiling. “Oh, you see, we were just going over how sexual the se-Chess pieces seemed.”

“... Really?”

“Yeah... Like... How the Bishop sort of looks like a-”

“Jace maybe you should go get some soda.” I interrupted loudly, ignoring Jace's glare as he got up and walked to the kitchen. Mom continued staring, making me frown. “Yeah?”

“You two weren't... 'Doing' anything, were you?”

“Mom!” I whispered, looking down as I felt blood rush to my face while I heard Jace walk back in. “Who was doing what now?”

“Nothing Jace.” Mom mumbled, going around him and into the hallway to her room. Jace came over and sat next to me, sipping his soda contently. “So what was that about?”

“Don't ask, Jace.”

“Bu-”

“No. Just... Don't ask. Ever.”