Status: Finally completed~

Heartless

XXII

Throughout the entire drive, Jace was silent as I watched him, occasionally giving directions. Now that I was able to get a clear, good look at him, I realized something- He had changed.

His face, which just a few years ago held the constant confidence of a teenager who knew who he was and was damn proud of it, seemed more haggard, and sullen. He had his ear pierced in multiple places, and the tattoo on his neck was big, but the fancy lettering made it difficult to read.

“Anna.”

I jumped slightly at his voice, then frowned and tilted my head slightly. “Anna?”

“The tattoo on my neck, it say's Anna. I decided to take pity on you after about fifteen minutes of you staring at it like it was a foreign language.” Jace smiled, slowing down for a red light. “Annastasia Marie Hawthorn. Bailey at least had the decency to give her my last name.”

I nodded thoughtfully, being able to make out the first A now before turning back around in my seat, trying to make it look like I was not just staring openly at him. “Did you get to see her? Anna, I mean.” I asked quietly. He nodded. “I did. Briefly, but I saw her. She doesn't know who I am, of course, but... At least I know what she looks like.” he mumbled.

I glanced over at him as he started to drive again, sighing to myself. “... What does she look like?”

His smile dropped and he sighed this time, louder. “She's got Bailey's hair. Bright red. No doubt she'll end up dying it when she's older. She's got my eyes though.”

I smiled slightly, picturing a small three-year old mixture of Bailey and Jace. No doubt the child was adorable; both of her parents were pretty easy on the eyes. Hopefully she got more of Jace's attitude than Baileys.

“How's Bailey?” I asked for the sake of filling the silence that came over us suddenly, though regretted it when I noticed Jace's grip on the steering wheel tighten. “She's fine. Married. I think because she want's to give Anna a normal life. Or what she considers normal.” he said through his teeth before pulling into the parking lot I pointed to and parking the car. We sat in silence again before I took off my seat belt, turning around to face him better. He glanced over quickly before shaking his head. “Never have kids, Will.”

I smiled sadly. “I couldn't if I wanted to.” he nodded for a second before looking in the rear view mirror, seeming to remember that we were supposed to be eating. I snorted when his expression turned incredulous and he looked back at me. “You're kidding me?”

“Not at all.”

“... Olive Garden?”

It didn't take too long to find a seat and get settled when a waitress came over, introducing herself and asking for our drinks. After she left Jace sighed and leaned back against his chair, rubbing the back of his neck tiredly. I watched over the top of my menu while getting an innate sense of déjà vu. It was made worse when I felt Jace's leg press against mine, and though he apologized he didn't move away. By the time the waitress came back I was more than ready to order, because the amount of sexual tension and awkwardness radiating off Jace and myself was plainly clear for me; I just wasn't sure if it was as clear for him.

The Waitress took down our choices before collecting our menus and walking away, leaving us in silence again. Jace tapped his fingers against the table, looking anywhere but my face.

Dinner went by slowly and awkwardly, with neither of us saying much except when the waitress came to make sure everything was okay. I payed, and we got back into the car and headed home in silence.

When he pulled up to my house, we both went inside by an unsaid agreement, taking our coats and shoes off before standing in front of each other in the living room.

I chose to speak first.

“Jace... I don't know what's going on, or what will happen, but... I don't want to start anything if you're just going to leave again.” I told him sternly, though my stomach decided at that moment to do more flips than... well, in all honesty I'm not really sure what. He stared back for a second before moving closer. “... I won't go anywhere if you don't want me to.”

And while it did sound incredibly cheesy and cliché, I smiled widely and jumped on him, sending us both onto the couch behind him while I attacked his mouth hungrily, burying my hands in his hair. I heard him moan quietly and that only made everything worse, turning me on more than I thought was possible.

I mean, it's a noise.

I clung to him while he sat back up, taking a minute before standing and forcing me to wrap my legs around his waist. I moaned into his mouth when I felt my back hit a wall, then the sound of a door opening before he moved again. The next thing that hit my back was soft, and felt a lot like...

My bed.

I felt myself freeze slightly before Jace leaned back slightly, staring at me. “Am I... If you don't want to, say so now.” he whispered. I stared back determinedly for a minute before bringing his mouth back down to mine and smiling at his small, surprised sound. He leaned back again and I groaned irritably, though I was silenced as I watched him remove his shirt quickly before throwing it in a random corner. I reached up to slowly run my fingers across a scar on his side that had been there since before I could remember, feeling him shiver while his skin erupted in goosebumps, making me smile.

He leaned back down and smiled back before removing my glasses. “I don't think you'll be needing these...”