Status: Finally completed~

Heartless

VII

Well, if Jace was ever right about one thing, it was how well he could play 'sober man' while drunk. He could be more drunk than he's ever been in his life, and he could talk to you like he did everyday. Except his tongue was a little looser than normal. However the sober charade ends usually when he try's to walk. Jace can't walk drunk.

I watched with a small amount of pity as Jace sat across from me at Bailey's kitchen table, downing yet another shot of... Whatever he was drinking. He still hadn't told me exactly what had set him off, and I was willing to wait for a few more drinks before asking. However, he had no problem talking about other things.

“You know, I like white. It's a nice color. It's all bright, and happy. Sort of. Maybe not happy. Sure as hell's bright though.”

I smiled slightly, resting my head in my hand as Jace sighed sadly. “Never get a girlfriend Will. They're just trouble, and drama, and more trouble, and they cry, and yell, and they're drama. Not good. Not good at all.” he mumbled while shaking his head.

I nodded, sighing before sitting straight. “... Jace?”

He looked over intently, eyebrows raised in a questioning expression.

“What... Happened up there? With you and Bailey?”

He looked down at the table, glaring at it harshly and sneering. “Nothin'... She just said she was movin' and wanted to break up... So I said fine... It's a shitty reason, but fine.” he mumbled, making me strain to hear him. I frowned though, thinking it over. That was a shitty reason. Really shitty. I reached over, lightly patting Jace's shoulder. “C'mon. I have to get you home before you throw up in the car.” I told him. He began to whine until I glared at him and he shut up, choosing to pout instead before slowly standing up.

“Good. Now just go to the car. And try not to fall over.” I said. He snorted, holding onto the wall as he made his way out of the kitchen and back through the living room. I slowly followed, making sure he didn't tip over as we got to the entrance and Bailey stopped us, looking intently at Jace.

“... You're drunk.” she mumbled. Jace seemed confused for a second, glancing over to me. “Isn't that usually what people do when someone breaks up with 'em? It is what they do, right?” he asked me. I shrugged. “I wouldn't know, Jace. I've never had anyone break up with me.” I replied. He nodded, looking back at Bailey. “Look, Jace, I really am sorry about it, but it just wouldn't have worked. I really like you, it's just...” Bailey stopped when she realized she was getting nowhere as Jace blankly stared back. After a minute he pulled himself up to his full height, looking incredibly sober in that moment as he spoke again. “Bailey... Fuck you.” he told her quietly, stepping around her with grace that no drunk-Jace (let alone any drunk person) should have and heading to the car.

The grace was short-lived as he proceeded to throw up next to the passenger door.

During the drive home, Jace was oddly silent, staring out the windshield, occasionally wincing when a light was too bright, or a siren went off. I assumed that the drunk aspect was wearing off and the hangover was setting in. “Willow?” he asked suddenly. I glanced at him out the side of my eye. “What?”

“Can we just go to your house tonight?” he asked quietly, sounding not unlike a small child. Part of me smiled while another part wanted to cuddle the now-saddened Jace. I nodded though. “Yeah, that's fine.”

“Thank you.”

I sighed and pulled into my driveway, getting out of the car and going up to the front door, turning the knob as Jace slowly came up beside me, apparently still at least tipsy. I tried to push the door open, but frowned when it didn't move. I tried again, and a third time before searching the pockets of my jeans. No keys. No cell.

I squeezed my eyes shut as Jace leaned against the door. “Willow?”

“... Yes Jace?”

“Are we stuck?”

“... Yes Jace.”

Jace nodded, staring at me intently until I looked back, raising an eyebrow. “What?” I asked. He shook his head before stepping closer, making me frown while he leaned down, closer to my face.

“Jace...” I said warningly, making him stop an inch away from me. “Step back.”

“... Maybe I don't want to.” he responded quietly, making my heart skip a beat while I tried to convince it that No, He was drunk, and he didn't mean it. Jace leaned forward more, making me step back instead. “Jace, knock it off. You're drunk. Don't do something you'll regret.”

He smirked, leaning back against the door and tilting his head. “Willow, do you like me?”

I rolled my eyes, shrugging. “Sure, why not.” Jace chuckled quietly, shaking his head. “No, I mean Like me! Not like me, Like me.” he re-iterated. It took me a minute to understand, and I flushed lightly as I avoided eye contact. He's drunk, I reminded myself. “No, Jace, I don't like you.”

He seemed put out by that, pouting again as I heard footsteps come toward the door and watched as it was pulled open, Jace with it as he fell onto the floor at Mom's feet.

“Sorry... Forgot I locked it...” she mumbled, raising an eyebrow at Jace, who was shaking his head and attempting to stand up. I leaned down to help him as Mom got closer to me. “Drunk?” she whispered. I nodded. “Oh yeah.”

“Best to take him to the room then.”

I nodded again, pulling Jace up and in the direction of my room before he could protest. As I shut the door behind us, Jace leaned against my back, nearly pressing me to the door. “I'm tired.” he whispered. I sighed, pushing him onto the bed. “Then get ready for bed and go to sleep.” I told him. He looked thoughtful for a second before wriggling out of his shirt and shoes, leaving his jeans on and laying back against the bed. I changed into pajamas before joining him (it was my bed after all) and he immediately clung to me. “Jace... Can I have some breathing room?” I asked. Under normal circumstances I would have loved to have Jace this close, but right now, he was drunk, and I wasn't about to take advantage of my drunken best friend who just lost another girlfriend. No matter how appealing the idea may be.

Jace moved again so he was half on-top of me, nuzzling the side of my neck and making me gasp. “Jace...” I warned again, making him smile and get closer.

That's when I noticed something... My bed was squeaky.

Jace didn't seem to notice though, climbing on top of me and lightly kissing my shoulder. My eyes widened as I noticed the light go on underneath the door and footsteps...

Jace noticed too, freezing over me with his tongue sticking out (I have the strange feeling he was about to lick me just then) as Mom knocked on the door. “You two okay?” she asked. After a minute I swallowed, inhaling. “Y-yeah Mom, we're fine. Just going to bed.” I winced when I stuttered, but she didn't seem to catch it. “Alright. Goodnight.” she responded, turning the hall light back off and going to bed. I sighed loudly, glaring down to Jace to find him...

Asleep.

I shook my head, rubbing a hand over my face. That could so not happen again.

The next morning I made sure I was up before anyone else, eating an early lunch in the kitchen by the time Jace stumbled in. “Morning.” I said while avoiding eye contact. He winced as soon as the word left my mouth, putting a hand to his head and sighing. “Shhh... Not so loud...” he whispered. I smiled slightly as he went over to the medicine cabinet, looking for the Advil and downing three without water before groaning and standing next to me. “Morning.” I said again, whispering as quietly as possible.

Jace snorted, squeezing his eyes shut. “What happened?”

“Well, you got drunk...”

“No shit.”

“At Baileys...”

“Ah.”

“After she broke up with you...”

The comment didn't come for that line.

“Because she was moving away...”

“Bitch...”

“Then you said 'fuck you' to her...”

“... Damn.”

“Then you threw up.”

When I had finished explaining the basic's of last night (leaving out certain parts... Obviously...) Jace was close to banging his head off the counter, sighing in aggravation. “I am so. Stupid.”

I shrugged to myself. “Not your fault she chose a stupid reason to break up with you.”

He glared at me for that. “What?” I asked. He shook his head. “You don't get it. Not like you've ever had a girlfriend anyway.” he mumbled. I snorted back, tilting my head. “And what I've seen from your numerous girlfriends, I'm better off without one.”

“Don't be a jackass this early.”

“It's almost one.”

“Shut up. I'm hungover. It's fucking early.”

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, finishing lunch. “Whatever you say Jace. Whatever you say.”