You've Got That Something

Football Miss

After about twenty minutes, the two girls arrived at the local park and saw the party. Nicole parked the car and undid her seatbelt, as did Samantha. Samantha looked at all the people and took a deep breath. She was desperately hoping that her social anxiety didn’t kick in. Nicole noticed and smiled sweetly at her younger cousin. “It’ll be okay, trust me.”

They both got out of the car and walked over to the grassy area. There wore tons of people there, at least three or four dozen. A pleasant pop song was blaring from the radio placed on a picnic table. The two girls walked soon got mingled into people and before either knew what had happened, they got separated from each other.

Samantha frowned and plopped down on a local bench. She should have expected something like this to happen. She looked at all the people and saw their looks of happiness and elation on their face and she felt a pang of jealousy. Why didn’t she have an exciting or eventful life? Sighing, she stretched her neck and saw a table full of lemonade. Feeling a little thirsty, she got up from the bench and flattened out any crease in her dress. She began walking when all of a sudden; something hard and thick collided in her back.

Samantha fell down with a loud thud. She didn’t even have time to register what had happened.

“I’m so sorry,” a deep voice said while trying to pull her up to her feet.

Gasping for breath, Samantha shoved her hand in her pocketbook while wheezing. The young man who had knocked her down was holding a football in one hand and looking alarmed. “Are you okay?” He asked tentatively.

Instead of answering, Samantha pulled out an inhaler from her pocket and hastily put it up to her mouth and inhaled. She closed her eyes until her breathing became regular. She then put it away and felt her face turn crimson. Her first public appearance in months and she decides to have an asthma attack. “I’m fine now.”

The boy looked at her with a pained expression. “I am honestly so sorry. My friend and I were playing football and I dove to get the ball and you just happened to get up at that exact second. It was horrible timing really. And now I feel like I’m rambling on. I’m Joseph by the way,” he finished while lending out his hand.

Samantha grabbed it and shook it. She bit her lip, not knowing what to say. “Urm, it’s okay, it just scared me to be honest. I’m Samantha.”

“I’m honestly so sorry,” Joseph said once again. “I just don’t know how to make it up to you. I know! Why don’t I take you out or something?”

Samantha froze. She had never been asked out so it was a weird feeling, but before she knew it she was shaking her head and smiling. “Sure.”

Joseph laughed. “Well that’s good. I’m already feeling a little dazed due to the fact that I took your breath away.”

Samantha simply blushed but didn’t say anything. She felt on top of the world and for the first time, she felt important.

And that was enough for her.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End!