Status: Alive and Revised :)

About a Girl

Painted Palms

A knock on the door early the next morning roused me from my dreams. Sitting up, I looked around confused; I was in the living room, sprawled out on the couch. Last night I had been too paranoid to even go in my own room. The knock came again.

“Hold on.” I called while pulling myself off the couch. Rushing to the door, I checked the peephole, something I hadn’t done in years. Kurt stood outside with the morning light reflecting through his hair. Quickly, I opened the door and let him inside. Unlike last night I needed company with me.

“I came to check on you.” Kurt said. He was standing so close that I could almost smell the sun rays off his skin. “I didn’t want to use my key; I thought it would scare you.”

“It probably would have.” I admitted. "I've been a little jumpy."

“I see you still have my shirt.” Kurt smiled.

“Oh.” Pausing, I looked down at the flannel shirt whose sleeves hung well past my hands. “Do you want it back?”

“No, like I said; keep it.” Kurt studied my face. “You didn’t sleep much.”

“No, I didn’t.” I said quietly and added, “I’m sorry I was a complete asshole yesterday… I was a little out of it.”

“That’s okay.” Kurt replied taking his usual seat on the couch.

Standing from afar, I looked at Kurt closely. “You didn’t get much sleep either.”

“I didn’t.” He pushed back his hair with his hand. “I was up working on a song.”

Taking a seat next to him, I asked, “Oh, a new Nirvana album in the works?”

“I don’t know really, just something I had to play. It wouldn't leave my head. Sometimes if I don't play music, I'll go crazy.”

“That’s comforting.” I smiled slightly and yawned.

“Maybe you should go to sleep.”

Getting comfortable, I sat back and flipped the television on. “I should probably do a lot of things.”

But soon reality and fantasy melded together and I was enjoying the picture slideshow in my mind. Some time later I awoke slowly, mind half in the dreamworld. Noticeably, I had my head rested on Kurt’s shoulder and he was halfway-asleep keeping his head propped up with his hand. Hearing him snore, I sat up with a smile and stretched. With my movements, Kurt woke up fully.

“Sorry. Didn't mean to wake you. I’ll be right back.”

Yearning for a shower, I went into my room and did just that. It was the one essential task I had to perform daily. I never felt fully ready face the day if I wasn't washed an dressed. Deciding to wear Kurt’s flannel top again, I joined him again in the living room. A smile turned the corners of his mouth upwards.

“I’m ready for that flute lesson.”

“Oh, I almost forgot about that. Are you sure you can handle the art of flute playing?”

“Hmm… I guess we’ll have to see.” Kurt grinned and followed me back into my room. After a quick scan of the room, I found my flute tucked away under my bed. “I’m getting nervous now.” Kurt teased.

Laughing, I expertly assembled the instrument together. Blowing inside, I warmed the metal. I played a sixteenth note run from my favorite piece, Jack Tar March. It sounded almost identical to the Pop-Eye theme song.

Kurt looked amazement. “How can you play that fast?”

“Um… practice?” I replied laughing. “Ready to try?”

“No.”

“Oh, come on. You'll do fine.” I said handing him the instrument. The flute looked so dainty in his masculine hands.

“Uh…” Kurt looked inside the tone-hole unsure of what to do.

“Just place it on your bottom lip.” I instructed. Kurt put it up to his mouth. “Now just blow across the tone-hole.”

He did and only air, no sound, came out. “I give up.”

"You've barely even tried." I protested, pulling the flute out of his grasp. “Now look at my lips.” Setting the metal on my mouth, Kurt rested his eyes on my lips.

“Mhhmm. I'm looking.” He spoke very softly and slowly. “Now what?”

“You center this right here.” I grazed my lower lip with my finger.

Kurt slowly reached up and touched my face, using his thumb to trace my lip. “Here?” He asked almost inaudibly. His blue eyes travelled slowly to meet my gaze.

Nodding, I threatened to break out in goose bumps. My mind was scrambled like eggs as he lowered his hand back down. “Um…” I tried to get my thoughts back in order. “Now… now try it with the flute.”

This time he got a sound to come out. In awe, Kurt smiled at me.

“Good.” I smiled back. “Now we’ll try a note. Have your thumb on the back and your left pointer finger on this smooth key.” Scooting closer, I moved his fingers into position. “Then your right pointer finger right here before these cork keys…” I moved it there. “And your right pinky down.” I put it on correctly. “Now go ahead and blow across the tone-hole.”

Kurt blew and the note sounded. A little under pitch, but a note nonetheless.

“Woah.” The flute seemed as if it were from a different planet to him.

“Congratulations. You just played a B flat. How does it feel?”

“Weird.” Bringing it closer, Kurt told me studying the keys on the flute.

While he was busy with that I stood up and started a spur-of-the-moment painting. I grabbed a completely white canvas then painted a purple heart in the lower right hand corner. Studying the canvas for a few seconds, I started covering my hand with blue paint deciding I knew what was missing. I pressed my handprint diagonally to the left of the heart.

“Blue means tranquility and peace.”

“I can help.” He told me holding out his left hand.

“What color?”

Kurt thought a few seconds before replying, “Red. What does that color mean?”

“Lust.” I answered softly covering his hand in paint, feeling his eyes on me.

“Where should I put it?”

“Wherever you want it.”

He pressed his handprint right next to mine. “I like it there.”

“Me too.” I replied softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Doubting the chapter, except for the last part haha. Comment? :) Enjoy!