Status: Alive and Revised :)

About a Girl

The Lake

Glancing over my shoulder to look at Cory, Kurt and I walked off at a rather fast pace for obvious reasons; Cory was staring after us with clenched fists, face turning red with anger. He radiated a clear message; this battle wouldn’t be over so soon.

“I’m sorry about all this.” I apologized to Kurt while wrapping my arms around myself to help fend off the cold that was creeping up my spine. “You really don’t have to come with me now. I can get home from here now that Mr. Hyde is gone.”

“I don't mind going with you. Actually I want to show you something.”

“Alright.” I replied readily, my curiousity piqued.

Kurt branched off from the sidewalk and entered part of the woods. The trees danced an anxious tango, swaying their arms in an unnatural rhythm. Kurt held onto my arm to steer me through the foliage. We didn’t talk; we just enjoyed the surrounding nature and the cool breeze blowing around. Not to mention navigating through the tree roost running like veins began to get treacherous. Kurt tightened his grip as we went through denser tree areas so I would stay clear of any hazards.

“Here.” Kurt spoke, the first word uttered between us in nearly a half hour.

We walked into a clearing near a small lake about as big as a swimming pool. Life hummed around its waters, the sources staying unknown in the shadows.

“Wow.” I whispered, taking the sights all in. Breaking away from Kurt’s hold, I sunk down by the banks of the lake weaving my hand in the water watching it ripple. “How did you find this?”

Kurt bent down and grabbed some dusty rocks. Throwing them across the water, he answered, “I was just wandering around and came across all this.” Pushing back some of his stringy hair, it immediately fell down in his face again. “I don’t think anyone comes back here. At least not anymore.”

The only sign of human life was a rope swing that looked like it had been deteriorating for decades.

“I haven’t ever seen this place before.” I looked up at the dark sky and smiled at the twinkling stars. “It’s beautiful though. I never thought something like this would be around here.” I glanced back at Kurt and he was already looking at me. After a pause, he started throwing rocks again. “I wish I had some paper and a pencil.”

I could just imagine the picture in my head; Kurt standing under the glowing constellations tossing rocks into the lake. Such a simple yet profound drawing. It would turn out beautifully, I knew. I made a mental note to sketch it as soon as possible.

“Shouldn’t you always have some? An artist should always be prepared.” Kurt joked, and I threw pebble over at him in response. “Hey!” He exclaimed dodging it.

“Sorry.” I laughed again. “My hand slipped.”

Smiling devilishly, Kurt came over to me and picked me up quickly in his arms. “Maybe my arms will slip and drop you in the water.”

I smacked his arm until I was safely on the ground again, but couldn't help grinning. “I don’t think so.”

“Maybe next time.”

“If there is a next time.” I told him, dusting my jeans off. “Do you think I’d go back into the woods with someone after they threaten me like this?” I smiled.

“Would you?”

“Well, if it was you I’d probably go.” I said. Kurt just looked at me, and I quickly clarified, “I trust you.”

“That’s good to know.”

I looked at him, expectantly. “Do you trust me?”

“What was with Cory?” Kurt asked, changing the subject.

“You didn’t answer my question.” I reminded, making sure he knew I hadn't forgotten.

“Well, you didn’t answer mine.” He countered.

I sighed, deciding not to push the matter forward. “Well, I honestly don’t know. I’ve known him for most of my life, but he’s really changed from that little boy I used to know.”

“Did you…?” Kurt tried to rephrase the question. “Were you ever--?”

“We dated.” I cut him off, saving him the trouble of asking. “It was on and off for years. But the last time was it. I'm not up for any more rounds with him. He cheated on me," I explained. Squeezing my eyes shut I continued, "I sort of walked in on them in bed."

“Not very good.” Kurt added softly.

“No.” I agreed, taking a deep breath. “But anyway, enough with this sob-story. I hate loading all this shit onto you.”

“Are you ready to go?” Kurt asked, wisely leaving the previous conversation behind. I nodded and threw a handful of pebbles into the water. Indentations from where I had strangled them were impressed on my skin. “Do you need my help out of the forest?” He held out his hand again.

Biting my lips, I replied, "No, I think I can figure it out."

"Famous last words."

I laughed, "Probably true." as we strolled back through the forest. The return journey to my apartment seemed a lot faster than before, and soon Kurt and I were cutting across the damp concrete to door number 14. The 1 was hanging a little loose and was a shade lighter brass than the 4.

“Oh, Heidi.” I said, smacking myself lightly on the forehead and stopped walking. Her car was back in its usual spot. The cool engine indicated she had been home for a while.

Kurt laughed. “Is that bad that I forgot about her? At least she got back all right.”

"Yep, no robbers in sight." Leaning against the door, I jimmied the handle a little, a trick I had learned early on to help the key fit in on rainy days. “Do you want to come inside?” I asked Kurt while completely unlocking the door. “Heidi might be waiting up for you.”

“Oh." He hesitated only for a moment, "Okay."

Inside the lights were off and everything was silent; Heidi was already asleep.

“It looks like Heidi’s not up.” I whispered to Kurt, holding back a yawn of exhaustion.

“Do you still want some company?” Kurt asked, shuffling his feet a bit.

I wanted to start on the picture nagging to be drawn in my head, but that could always be done later. And honestly, I liked being in Kurt's company; our personalities blended together so well.

“Sure." I replied with a grin, "Looks like it's only you and me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Ratings? This story needs some love. :) And as always; enjoy!