‹ Prequel: When You Were Young

I Can't Remember That Was Us

Fix My Phone

Matt's POV

"Man, you think you could fix this cell phone for me? I could probably call someone...someone knows me..." I told the very tan guy. His name is Marco, I think. 

"Easy. It just needs to be dried out. I'll do it, but I don't know how good it'll do you. You can't get any reception on this island. Too far away." he told me in his Spanish accent. 

"Damn. How the hell did I get on this island to begin with?" I asked. I knew he didn't know the answer to that. 

"Eh, plane crash, boat crash. Stuff like that happens all the time. Look, I know you probably got a wife and possibly kids worried sick about you, so I'll try to get you home. But first we gotta fix this phone and figure out where you're from." he told me, giving me some hope. 

"Good deal, man." I replied, nodding my head. I looked down at my silver wedding band, suddenly wondering about my wife. I wonder what color her eyes are. Her hair. I bet she's beautiful and I bet she also misses me. I kind of feel like I miss her even though I don't remember who she is.  I then spun the ring around on my finger to reveal some engraved letters. 'Hayleigh Loves Matt Forever.' it said. Hayleigh. That's my wife's name. That's beautiful. I then thought of any kids we might have. Its possible that we have a little girl. Daddy's little girl. I thought. I bet she has big puppy dog eyes to help her get anything she asks for from mommy and daddy. I chuckled a bit at the thought. 
It's also possible that we have a little boy. I bet he plays pranks on mommy every day. Putting frogs in the laundry basket and hiding from her at all the wrong times. I bet he wants to be just like his daddy when he grows up. There are so many possibilities, I can't wait to find out about my family. I also wonder if we have any pets. I like dogs...

Hayleigh's POV 

"Zacky, please tell me you're lying." I told him, tears falling from my eyes. Tears fell from his as well. 

"I wish I was, Hayleigh. We sent all three helicopters out 14 times in the past five days. We had two boats and fifteen divers...and nothing... They refuse to search anymore." he told me sadly. 

"So what? You're telling me there's no hope? That the father of my child- the love of my life isn't coming back?!" I yelled, touching my stomach. There was already an unlimited amount of tears falling. 

"No, I'm not telling you that. I'll take the fucking boat out every night if I have to." he told me, shaking his head and looking down. I looked at him seriously for a moment. 

"I love you, Zacky. You're such a good man. It would mean a lot if you did that for us." I told him, wrapping my arms around him. He squeezed me back. 

"Us?" he asked, looking a little confused. 

"The baby and me." I told him, touching my stomach again. He pulled slightly away nodding and pressing his own hand on my stomach. 

"I just want you to know that whatever happens, I...we will always be here for you- to help you raise this child." he told me again. I nodded, choking back a few tears before placing my hand over his on my stomach. 

"That means a lot, Zacky. I appreciate it, but I think that Matt is going to have to come and do that." I told him, keeping my hopes high. 

"Right. You gonna be alright alone?" he asked, finally moving away from me. 

"Yeah, I think Jimmy is gonna come over and braid my hair." I told him with a slight chuckle. 

"I'm not surprised. I'll see you tomorrow, then. Bye, Hayleigh." he told me, walking towards the door. 

"Bye, Zacky. See ya." I said before he walked out the door. 

As soon as he was gone, I never felt more alone in my life. Matt was gone and I had no clue when he was coming back. Or if he really was. I don't know if he's dead somewhere or out there somewhere alive. But I hoped to God that he was alive. For the sake of our baby, if nothing else. I'm just trying to stay strong for the baby. I can't loose it now. 

"I brought you some ice cream, I ate all of yours." Jimmy told me, coming inside of my house from behind me. I could hear plastic bags swishing together as he came closer. I turned around to acknowledge him. 

"Cool. I hope you're ready to get your braid on!" I told him, trying to sound cheerful. It didn't work. 

"Hayleigh, I can tell you're upset. If you need to just be alone, I'll understand...or if you need to talk, I'm here, you know that." he told me, sitting down beside of me. 

"Nah, I mean, I am having a hard time...I just, I don't want to talk or think about it, I just want my fucking hair braided." I said with a huff. He looked down sadly and nodded. 

"I know how you feel. He's my best friend...come on, let's braid your hair."

"How'd you learn to braid hair anyway?" I asked him, trying to push away the sadness. 

"Internet." he said, winking at me. 

"Liar! You can't use a computer!" I called him out with a big smile on my face. 

"You're right. I took salon classes last year." he joked. 

"Bullshit! How'd you learn, seriously?" I asked him again. 

"My sister taught me when we were younger. I never thought I'd actually ever do it." he told me seriously. I nodded at his words as he started braiding my hair. 

"HOLY SHIT! LOOK AT THAT BIG ASS SPIDER!" he yelled, letting go of my hair. 

Matt's POV

"Man, thanks again for fixing my phone. I'll see what I can find." I said, going to the phonebook of my iPhone. 

"They all have California area codes and the other three digits...I have a cousin from Orange County with the same first three digits."

"But that still don't tell me where I'm from." I said, looking confused. 

"Well, most likely, you live in California-close to Orange County." the man said again. 

"Yeah... How do I get home, though?"

"Well, I'll boat you to Long Beach and then you can call someone on your contact list to come get ya."

"Good deal." I replied, nodding. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Who do you think Matt will call?

Mary
Hayleigh
Zacky
Or Jimmy?

Comment and tell me who you think he will call.