Status: writing

The Silent Maiden

Chapter 2

Chanelle slowly reached up to the surface, the water was getting warmer as she got closer. She could see bright lights and music.

And the Prince's voice. Oh, it was lovely, nothing like the singing that the other humans did. The woman, men and children danced on the boat having a merry time. It looked like a lot of fun.

Chanelle only lifted her head above from a long distance, so that they wouldn't see her. It was midnight by now and thye were still drinking, eating, singing and dancing.

Her people would be wondering where she was. They were also having a celebration just like the humans for her birthday. But she had wanted so badly to see the Prince.

He had short jet black hair and a handsome face, he was better in real life. She wanted to go to him, speak to him and touch his cheeks like she had to the statue. He didn't notice her, he doesn't even know of her existence.

"Charming isn't he?" Lyn bobbed up to the surface.

Chanelled nodded sighletly, she could not take her eyes away from him. This is what it feels like, to love. Or what the man she had hunted felt like. She was mezmorizing, and so was he.

The waves became more violent and the boat shook. Even the winds blew more fiercely. "It's a storm" Lyn hissed and swam back down. But what about the Prince? The land was far from here and they will certainly die.

The rain poured down and it was hard to see. The waves became bigger and bigger until the boat was like a mouse to it.

The boat rocked more violently and the humans screamed. It hurt her ears but she swam closer. Suddenly a huge wave crashed over the boat and it crashed into pieces.

All the humans fell but clung onto some floating wood. She searched for the prince, the humans didn't take any notice of her because they were too afraid.

She went under and over the water. Her breathing became faster and her heartbeats were like drums punding against her chest.

She saw him, drowning. The waves were taking him further away from his people. He couldn't breath. He went under once more but could not get the energy to come back up. Suddenly he saw a girl. She was beautiful, flaming red hair and sea blue eyes. She grabbed his hand with her slender fingers and pulled.

Then darkness came and he was unconcious.

The storm had passed and the sun rised high in the sky. Chanelle made sure they were alone on the beach. Her fins were hidden in the water and the Prince was lying on the rocks asleep. She watched him curiously.

She stroked his hair and kissed him on the cheeks and left when there were voices coming closer.

The prince opened his eyes and stared into a young woman's. She hd long wavy black hair and a beautiful face. "Were you the one who saved me?" He chocked, remembering the vision of a girl pulling him up from the water.

She looked confused but nodded. "I am Veronica" she spoke as she held his hands. "You'll be taken to the hospital immediately. Her slaves helped him up.

She smiled once more at him and left, her dress swishing behind her.

Chenelle watched him go from behind the rocks. He is safe, he is alright. She swam back to her home and tried to forget about the prince, only to fail. She wanted to be with him.

"Father, I want to be a human" she pleaded.

"What on earth are you on about Chenelle" Her father bellowed. She backed away and looked down.

"Mermaids hunt humans" he reached out and held her hands. "I don't want you to get hurt"

She looked into his eyes and nodded. Her father was wise and it was the best to listen to him.

------------

"Sing for us" Her sister's said. She swallowed and cleared her throat and and a beautiful voice floated across the Mer-city. The crowd stopped to listen and looked up at her admiringly.

She sang of loneliness and sorrow, every second she thought of her prince. The softness of his cheeks, hair...

She excused herself and swam away. As she was passing Masika's ship she heard the woman call her name. She followed the voice into the ship and came to a room filled with gold and gems.

"Hello dear" Masika smiled. She glided over to her with her octopus legs. "What lovely singing voice you have, you are a lucky girl"

Chanelle nodded and kept her eyes from meeting Masika's. "So lucky, so lucky" Masika murmered. "I heard a rumor..." she smiled. "That you fancy the Prince"

Chenells head jerked up and stared into her cold eyes. Masika smirked. She wrapped the octopus legs gently around the girl, it slid over her shoulders and Chenelle gulped. "You, of all mermaids...fancy the prince." She chuckled.

"Yes..." she chocked, she was scared, one of Masika's legs slid down her fins.

"Do you love him so much, that you cannot bear to be away from him?" Chennel nodded shakily. "Then let me give you a deal"

She looked up and they met their eyes. "Your voice for human legs"

Chenelle gasped and shook her head. "I would never..."

"But what about your poor prince?" Masika twirled around her. "Don't you want to be with him?" She said nothing thought about it.

"My voice..." Chennel chocked and looked at her fins. If she had legs, she would be able to live amongst the humans.

"Yess" Miasika hissed. "For legs"

"A-alright" She nodded. "But what's the catch?" she tried to avoid Masika's eyes but she had twirled to look at Chenells face.

"3 days, you have 3 days to make him fall for you and kiss you" She hissed. "No more, and if you do not...you will spend your 300 years as sea foam"

Chenelle gasped. "no! I change my mind!"

"Too late girl, you said yes just before, your voice shall be mine" she laughed and pointed her shining stake at the girls fins, it started to change and the fins started to become a dress.

"Better swim to the surface before it turns to legs lovey, I don't want you chocking on the water."

As her fins changed, she couldn't breath. She swam as fast as she could before the change was complete. She gagged on the water and her lungs filled.

"3 days!" Masika laughed.

Only a little more, she coughed. More water came into her lungs. 'Can't..." Her fins were now long slender legs and had changed to a shimmering blue-green dress.

She reached the surface and she coughed, splattered and breathed as much air as she could. She dragged herself onto the beach as the sand clung to her dress.

She lay down and fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
don't 4get to comment! tell me what you think!