‹ Prequel: Get Out Alive
Sequel: Always Yours

Rise Above This

...call the clouds and listen closely I'm lost without you...

Jena’s car came to a stop to a familiar house. She had not been there in a while and it held a lot of memories. She reminded herself that she was here as a friend and nothing else. She couldn’t let her feelings get in the way of helping a friend. She stepped out of her car and walked up to the door. She didn’t bother knocking because she knew that Matt wasn’t going to mind if she just entered the home they once shared together.

Bella greeted her with loud barks that would have woken anyone up, but Jena knew that Matt wasn’t asleep. His family had called her because they knew no one else could get him out of the rut he was in. She was the one who always spoke to him truthfully. It was a trait he said he once loved. Once more, she had to remind herself she was here to help him.

She knew exactly where Matt would be. She went to the kitchen and found the door that led to the basement. She opened the door and immediately the sounds of gun shooting filled her ears. She walked down the stairs and saw Matt.

Matt’s back faced her since the couch was set up that way. He didn’t even hear her when she reached the bottom of the stairs. The volume was so loud that she couldn’t even hear her footsteps. She sighed softly when she saw the junk food that laid around in the basement. Matt wasn’t a healthy eater, but he didn’t eat as much junk food like there was in the place. He liked to keep his muscles.

She knew that she wasn’t going to get him to talk until he was ready. She sat down next to him which caused him to jump in surprise. He removed his headphones and laughed.

“Holy shit, Jena, you came out of thin air,” he laughed.

“I did not. You were just too concentrated on the game and the volume is really loud.”

“How else am I supposed to hear the people’s steps?” he said back.

“Can I join?” she asked.

“Of course,” he said and reached over to the table in front of them and got the extra control. Matt set up the game so they were on the same team.

She wasn’t an expert like he was, but she played Call of Duty when she had the time. When she needed a break from her writing, she would play to get her mind off things.

“You’re getting better,” Matt complimented her.

“I’ve been stuck on a chapter for my novel, so I’ve been practicing a lot,” she giggled.

“How far along are you in your book?” he asked.

“I’m towards the end which is why I’m stuck,” she replied and shot the person in the head. “Yeah!”

Matt chuckled and took a glance at her. He thought she was going to start talking about the reason his family called her, but she didn’t say a thing. He began to think why things ended with her. She was the only one who understood him in ways no one else did. She knew that he didn’t want to talk about it.

Others had tried to make him talk about it, but not Jena. She knew him inside out.

Four hours later, they headed upstairs to the kitchen to make something to eat. She ate her sandwich in silence, deep in thought.

“What are you thinking?” Matt broke the silence.

“How much I miss hanging out with you,” she smiled and it did funny things to his insides. She always made him feel funny, but in the most wonderful way. “Just as friends and with no complications in the way.”

“You mean no Val in the way,” he muttered.

She smiled wider. “She never liked me. I tried being her friend, but it’s a good thing we didn’t become friends because she made me want to kill after what she did to you.”

He shrugged.

“Matt, you only recluse yourself when you can’t face something you don’t want to. It happened when Jimmy passed and now that Val left you for someone else--”

“I am not reclusive because of that cheating whore,” he interrupted her.

Jena frowned. “Don’t lie to me. You’re clearly hurt. You need to rise above this and stop being so proud and ask for help when you’re down.”

“I’m down there because I’m angry for marrying Val in the first place. I shouldn’t have gone through with it when I knew my whole heart wasn’t with her.”

Jena didn’t like to think about the day Matt married Val. It was like watching her life being taken away, but with the help of her friends she got through with it and tried to move on, but she never could. How do you move on from true love?

“When did you realize it?” she asked.

“A few weeks after the wedding,” he muttered. “I tried to make it work with Val, but she just didn’t get me. Only one person got me and she’s right here.”

Jena felt her heart pitter patter and her cheeks redden.

“You’re my best friend in the world, Jena,” he said softly and with something in his eyes that she couldn’t place her finger on.

It hurt her that she would always just be the best friend. She wanted more.

“Let’s go kick more ass,” she grinned. “I think we can make those kids in Detroit cry.”

Matt laughed and followed her back to his basement.

“How about we just play against each other and see what you got?” he suggested with a smug look.

Her eyes lit up. “Are you sure you want to? I’ve had writer’s block for about a week and I’ve been playing almost all day.”

“Why haven’t I seen you online then?” he asked.

“Because I’m smart enough to practice and practice,” she grinned.

Matt set it up so it would be one on one. Jena got the first kill. She surprised him by getting him three more times after that. Matt couldn’t believe she killed him so fast. He got back at her and killed her two times in a row.

Jena sent the dogs after him and that was her fourth kill.

“You’ve been holding back!” he yelled over the noise.

“Scared you’re getting beat by a girl?” she snickered.

Matt snatched away the control and held it over his head. Jena scoffed.

“You’re so immature Matthew Sanders,” she growled as she tried to reach for it. She was too lazy to actually get up. “And you’re a cheater pumpkin eater!”

“Oh, now who is being immature!” he laughed and moved his arm when she almost reached for the control.

She got close to him, almost crawling on him.

Matt lost control when he had her so close. He wrapped his arm around her waist and then pushed her on her back with him on top of her. He liked the way her face went all red and she laughed instead of getting mad like his ex-wife used to.

His ex-wife never played with him.

Jena clearly showed him she could hold her own.

His ex-wife never liked being playful.

Jena was the most playful person he knew.

His ex-wife never made him feel what he was feeling at the moment.

Jena made him insane like if he didn’t kiss her, he was going to die. Her lips tempted him and he leaned down and got a taste of them and pulled back to see her reaction.

Her eyes were wide with shock and she brought her fingers to her lips, like she couldn’t believe it had happened. He removed her fingers and kissed her again, but longer. He didn’t use his tongue because he was testing the waters. She had yet to kiss him back.

He pulled back again once more.

“You’re the one who always held my heart, Jen,” he murmured softly. “I realized it too late, when I was married. You poured your heart out the day before my wedding and I didn’t know what to make of it. Marrying Val was the worst mistake I made. It’s why I’m down here. I’m so stupid for wasting my time with Val when I should have been treasuring my time with you. My heart is with you.”

“I shouldn’t have told you that on the night before your wedding, but I was so desperate and when you went through with it, I was so…. devastated.”

“I know,” he said with regret in his voice. “But… we can rise above this. We can start over and this time I’m not letting you go.”

She lifted her head and pressed her lips against his. She kissed him hungrily and it made him groan with pleasure. She was kissing him back, now he had peace.

“I call your name everyday, when I feel so helpless,” he murmured against her lips.

“I’ll mend you,” she whispered back.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know the song is about suicide and I thought about including Jimmy (not him killing himself) but it was too sad and the more I thought about it the sadder I got. So I made this for a friend and I hope she likes it. It's short, sweet and I'm proud of this.

Thank you for reading, love you all.