Status: Work in Progress :)

Taking a Shot at Love

A Long Day with Hockey Players

Image

To say Haley was nervous about starting her job was an understatement. Currently, she was standing in front of her mirror fixing looking over what she was wearing and trying to decide what to do wit her hair. She had on her favorite pair of dark wash jeans, a black cami with a white jacket on over top of it with a black tie around the waist and her favorite thing about her outfit was her necklace, her boyfriend Anthony got it for her, it was a penguin to represent her love for the Pittsburgh Penguins. She sighed and walked out of her room into the living room where her best friend, Alex was.

“AJ,” Haley started with a frown. “I don’t know how to do my hair. Should I leave it down or put it up?”

"I think you should..." Alex turned around as she started talking then lost her train of thought. "Wow, Haley you look amazing! But to answer your question you should wear it half up, half down."

She smiled, “Thanks, AJ. I swear I don’t know what I would do without you.” She went back into her room and did her hair before walking back out. “This isn’t too much is it? Are you working tonight?”

Alex smiled, and jokingly said, "You'd be lost, wondering the streets, trying to find someone who likes you. No it's not too much, you look beautiful as always sweetie! And of course I'm working tonight, I work pretty much every night."

Haley nodded, “Okay, I’ll stop by after work. I feel that I might need it.”

"Yeah because dealing with guys who are anywhere from the same age to 17 years older then you is going to call for some relaxing time." Alex said rolling her eyes a bit.

“But then there are guys like Crosby and Staal,” Haley said with a small smile. “Absolutely gorgeous and eye candy and my Uncle will be there.”

"Yea, eye candy all right, but I bet that's all they are." Alex said, not too impressed by them. "I've heard stories about them and I'm SOO not impressed. But good luck today!"

“You can’t believe all those stories and now they have me,” Haley said laughing. “I’ll see you later.” She waved good-bye as she walked out the door. Haley was nervous about starting over in a new place but her Uncle Mario promised her that everything would be fine and so has Alex. When she got Consol Energy Center, the butterflies were going wild, she took a deep breath and walked through the door, not paying attention to where she was going, just trying to find her uncle when she walked into someone causing her to fall on her butt. Great first impression Hales, she thought to herself as she looked up and her brown eyes met the gorgeous blue eyes of Jordan Staal. She looked him up and down, he was gorgeous, from his blond hair to his gorgeous smile but the thing she liked the best about him were the eyes that she staring into, the blue eyes. Haley shook her head, no, she had a boyfriend and he wasn’t her type.

“I’m sorry,” Haley said taking the hand that he had taken out. “I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going.”

“It’s okay,” Jordan said with a small smile. “What’s your name gorgeous?”

“Haley,” She said rolling her eyes. “Haley Lemieux. How’s your leg holding up?”

Jordan’s face said it all once he heard her last name, “Lemieux? As in related to the owner, Mario Lemieux?”

Haley laughed, “Yea, he’s my uncle. I’m actually looking for him. I start here today, and I was supposed to be here an hour ago but I got lost.”

“I can take you to him,” He said offering her his arm. “And the leg’s just fine. Can’t play yet but
I hoping to play soon.”

She took his arm, “I hope so too. You’re an amazing center.”

“You follow us?” He asked raising an eyebrow at her.

Haley laughed, “Yea, my brothers love the Maple Laves but I’ve always had a soft spot for the Penguins, I think it is because of my uncle playing for them. I loved watching him play.”

“He was an amazing player,” Jordan said with a small smile. “We’re lucky to have him as an owner, speaking of him, here’s his office.”

She kissed Jordan’s cheek, “Thanks Mr. Staal.”

“No problem,” He said laughing. “Do you have plans later?”

“I have a boyfriend,” Haley said sighing. “But yes I do. I’m going to a bar that my best friend works at.”

Jordan nodded and left without saying anything, Haley felt bad because she thought maybe she hurt his feelings but she didn’t want to lead him on, he needed to know she had a boyfriend before things got out of hand. She knocked on her uncle’s office as the butterflies started swarming in her stomach again. She heard shuffling in the office as the door opened but not to her uncle but the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Sidney Crosby. Her breath caught in her throat, he was even more gorgeous in person than in the pictures. His brown eyes were fixated on her, waiting for her to say something.

“I’m here to see,” She started before her uncle walked over to the door.

“Hales,” He said wrapping his arms around her to give her a hug. He broke the hug and smiled then turned to Sidney. “Sidney, this is my niece Haley, Haley this is Sidney. He’s going to give you the tour of the place. Be nice.”

“I’m always nice,” Haley said with a smile.

Mario laughed at his niece and looked at Sidney who was silent still, “I leave you in the hands of Sidney. I’ll see you tomorrow for dinner, you and Alex.”

She nodded as he walked away and then she turned to Sidney, “Hi, I’m Haley, but my uncle already said that. So, where does this tour begin?”

Sidney didn’t say anything just started walking. She didn’t know what she had done to make the captain hate her but she had a feeling that she pissed him off or something. She sighed as he showed her around, never saying anything directly at her or even looking at her. The tour ended in the locker room, as she entered, she saw every player that she enjoyed watching on the TV from Staal to Malkin to Fleury. It was going to be a long day.
By the time she got to the bar, she was ready to call it a night but she had told Alex that she’d stop by after work. Haley had spent most of the day learning the ropes at work and trying to figure out what she had done to piss off Crosby. As she sat down at the bar and waited for Alex to come over to her, she couldn’t help but wonder what she did, she didn’t know the guy, why did he hate her so much. When she saw Alex, Haley gave her a small smile, “Hey.”

"Okay, what happened?" Alex said, pouring her drink for her.

“Crosby,” She said sighing. “He didn’t say a word to me. It was like I was a disease something. My uncle had him give me a tour but that’s the only words he said to me at all. I even introduced myself. All the other players were nice to me and talked. I got hit on a few times but I let them all know that I had a boyfriend.”

"Maybe that's what's bothering him?" Alex said before going to fill another order, and then coming back to Haley. "Maybe he thought he'd have a chance with you, then heard you have a boyfriend? A boyfriend that is an ass, but a boyfriend no less."

Haley rolled her eyes, “He didn’t know that I had a boyfriend when he met me. I could understand that but he was an ass to me for the beginning. I could understand Staal being an ass to me after he found out but he was nice, he actually said he might met me here later.”

Alex rolled her eyes as well, "Then maybe he's just an ass to begin with? I mean how could anyone be an ass to you?? You only come off as a bitch to people who have hurt your family or friends. Why would you think Staal would be an ass after he found out eh? And great, another hot shot jock around, there's not enough room for most of them to begin with. Just imagine someone who's actually famous here? This place is going to go crazy!"

“It just doesn’t make sense for him to be an ass,” She said sighing. “Uncle Mario has only said the greatest things about Crosby. Oh, remember we’re having dinner with them tomorrow night. Staal was the first to hit on me and he’s gorgeous. His blue eyes, yummy but he’s a great guy. Not like most of the guys and he said if came he’d bring Fleury, who will bring his girl friend but that’s okay. Marc-Andre is the best goalie there is and just admit that you want to meet Staal, you said yourself he was gorgeous when we went to that Pens, Rangers game with Tony.”

"I guess we'll never found out, unless we, I mean you, actually ask him!' Alex said going from one side of the bar to the other, since everyone was ordering. When she got back in front of

Haley she said, "Don't worry, I haven't forgotten. I have off of work so I can go with you. And yes, I'll admit Staal is gorgeous, but I know nothing about him except what I've heard around here, and I'm not impressed."

“You can’t believe everything you hear,” A voice said from behind them. Haley turned around to see Jordan with Fleury, his girlfriend and much to her dismay, Crosby. “You must be Alex, Hal has been talking no stop about you today. I’m Jordan.”

"Yes I am Alex, and I know who you are. Can I get you all anything to drink?" Alex said, going from normal conversation, to business conversation in the same breath.

“A beer would be fine,” He said with a smile. “Sid will have a beer too and Flower will have a coke or Pepsi whatever you have here. He’s the driver tonight.”

“We can order for ourselves, Gronk,” Sidney said rolling his eyes.

Haley rolled her eyes, “Alex, when do you get a break?”

"Coming right up," Alex said getting everyone their drinks. "I don't get a break for another hour. And would you like anything to drink?" Alex asked Fleury's girlfriend.

“I’ll just have what Marc-Andre is having,” Vero said smiling.

“Great,” Haley said sighing. “Join us when you get a break. I don’t want to spend too much time alone with them alone. I did spend all day with them.”

Jordan wrapped his arm around Haley’s shoulder, “You know you love us.”

“Keep dreaming, Staal, not going to happen,” She said shaking him off. Alex came back with their drinks. Haley tried to talk for Sidney for an hour before giving up as Alex came over and sat down. “How was your day? Ready for classes to start yet?”

"Yes! This semester is going to rock! Although, I don't know how many games I'll be able to make it to with you." Alex said with a spark in her eyes from talking about school.

Jordan liked the fact that she was going to come to games, it made him smile, “You’re pretty and watch hockey. Sid, where have they been?”

Sidney rolled his eyes, “Staal knock it off. Just stop before you embarrass yourself.”

“At least he tries,” Haley said locking eyes with Sidney. “What’s your problem? I haven’t done anything to you, yet from some reason you hate me.”

“I don’t hate you,” He said sighing. “Mario has warned us to stay away from you. So, that’s what I’m doing.”

“By being an ass,” She said looking at him. “That makes so much sense.”

“It did to me,” He said frowning. “I’m sorry.”

“Do it again and I’ll kick your ass,” Haley said laughing. “Ask Alex, I’ve beaten up guys twice your size before.”

"Oh yea! This one time in high school, this guy kept bugging me, and trying to get me to go out with him, but I didn't like him and he wouldn't take no for an answer. Then he was sick of trying to get me, that he pushed me up against the wall and tried sticking his tongue down my throat, but Haley came up behind him and knocked him out cold... he was about 6'5" and probably over 250 pounds." Alex said, impressing the boys for Haley.

Jordan laughed, “Damn, remind me never to piss of Hal then.”

Haley rolled her eyes, “I only do stuff like that if it my family or friends. So don’t mess with them and you’ll be fine Staal.”

“So, Alex,” Jordan said looking at her. “What exactly have you heard about me?”

"Well there was this one time that people came in and were talking about how you were drunk at another bar, and hitting on all the girls, even the ones who had boyfriends. And when their boyfriends were there you were trying to get them to fight you." Alex said racking her brain for another good story to tell them. "Oh, and about a month ago this girl came in with her friends, saying how she hooked up with you and this other girl heard and went off on her because she was with you that same night, and they got into it BADLY, over you."

“I’m not as bad as people make me out to be,” He said sighing.

“Let me guess,” Haley said looking at Jordan. “People start rumors because you turned them down and they just want in your pants.”

“Sometimes,” He said shrugging. “Other times, I have too much to drink and turn into an ass.”

Haley shook her head, “Then stop drinking.”

"Drinking brings the worst out in people. I should know." Alex said, getting a sad look from thinking of her family. "Well I'd just LOVE to stay and chat with you all, but I have to get back to work."

“AJ,” Haley said sighing. “I’ll see you at home.” She got up and said goodbye to the boys and gave Alex a kiss on the check before heading home. When she got home she called Anthony and told him about her day, then took a shower and crashed. It had been a long day.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is Chapter one of my newest story, I have a lot already written for this story, just please let me know what you think :)