Status: A-a-a-active!

Catastrophic

Teddy Bear-No, A Grizzly Bear

I took a deep breath as I continued to speed along the poorly paved road, my hands shaking slightly as I gripped the handles tightly, my knuckles turning an unhealthily pure shade of white. Once I pulled into the driveway, I hopped off my bike and kicked the kickstand down. I walked inside and grabbed a jacket off of the back of a chair in the kitchen, sparing a glance down at my arms in the process. I sighed softly as I saw the yellow starting to blossom slowly against my milky white skin. The bruises were starting to set in faster than I had thought they would.

Throwing my backpack on the floor, I tugged on the jacket before making my way out to my motorcycle. I drove to Jacob’s, hoping that the guy’s wouldn’t be in a playful mood today. I would surely give away my sore arms, and I didn’t want to make up some bullshit story to tell them. Lying to people was something I hated doing and everyone could always somehow tell that I was.

When I got to his home, he was waiting outside, sitting on the porch. He had a wide grin on his face, the type that made you want to return it just as enthusiastically, wearing just knee length jean shorts, his abs looking especially delicious today. After I mentally scolded myself on that part, I got off my bike and walked up to him, smiling happily.

“You’re late.” Jacob said, pulling me into one of his tight bear hugs. Luckily I got my arms out of the way in time.

“Sorry, teddy bear.” I murmured into his chest, returning the hug happily. He pulled away after a moment, leading me inside to where I could already hear the guy’s loud laughter and voices carrying throughout the house. Each one of them gave me a hug, and it felt like I had known these guys longer than just these past few weeks. I guess it was because I felt like I actually had friends now. Smiling at that fact, I sat down on the couch near Embry who had taken up a video game. Jacob sat in the seat between us, getting comfortable. I could feel the heat radiate from him.

“So why are you so hot all of the time?” I asked curiously.

“I get that alot.” He responded cockily, giving me an amused smile.

Scoffing gently, I gave him a small push mumbling a “you know what I mean.” Before he had time to respond, however, Sam called all of the guys for food. I was quickly abandoned; so I decided to figure out Embry’s game. Just a few moments later as I unpaused the game I died. I pressed my lips together, placing the consul down gently before turning around to look at the room. It was a very cozy living room, completely with a small entertainment center, pictures framing the walls, and a coffee table.

I didn’t have long to investigate the room because the guys all piled out, Quil and Paul going outside with a football. Embry came back and whined about the game, me smiling innocently and giving an apology which he took with a grumbled it’s okay. Jacob was the last to come out, smiling and taking his seat by me again. I returned the smile, growing irritated with the jacket. It was hot enough to melt a box of crayons into a dripping rainbow because of these boys.

“Aren’t you hot in that?” Jacob inquired, as if he had read my thoughts.

“I’m actually kind of cold.” I responded, smiling slightly. Jacob stared at me for a moment, and I panicked, thinking he had sensed my lie. Instead he opened his arms to me, and I graciously curled up into his chest. Besides the blistering heat, it was quite comfortable; and the fact he was petting my hair was just aiding the comfortability. Within minutes my eyes were slipping close, the days events catching up with me as I spent the rest of my energy into blinking. Before long, I drifted off into a dreamless sleep, lulled by a soothing hand.

“Charlotte.” A soft voice woke me what felt like only minutes later. I let out a soft sigh as I cuddled deeper into him. “Dear, you have to wake up. It’s getting late.”

“Fine.” I grumbled hoarsely as I pushed myself up to a sitting position. I ran a hand through my hair as I looked at my phone; the time read 8:12. I had been asleep for a few hours. “I’m sorry.” I said, turning to look at him sadly.

“Don’t even worry about it Char. We always have tomorrow or over the weekend,” Jacob responded, smiling reassuringly and pulling me into a hug. I returned it, giving a thank you and a promise to be back over tomorrow so we could actually spend time together. I got up to give all of the other guys hugs goodbye, and when I went to Jared he tried to mock box with me. As I put my hands up to pretend to hit him back, he grabbed my wrist snuggly, causing me to wince in pain and yank my hand back.

“Damn it Jared, be careful!” Jacob exclaimed, jumping to his feet looking at him angrily. Jared threw his hands up in defense.

“No no, it’s not Jared’s fault.” I murmured, rubbing my wrist gently. Jacob looked at me curiously, walking over.

“What did you do to it then?” He inquired, taking my hand. I tried pulling it back but he wouldn’t let me.

“Nothing. Just hit it on something, can’t remember what but it hurts.” I said quickly, my words jumbling together as I racked my brain for a swift lie. He stared at me sadly, catching my lie.

“Take your jacket off.” Jacob commanded, his voice strained, already expecting the worst. I tried pulling my hand back again, coming up with the same conclusion as before.

“No, really. It’s not that bad, and I should be getting home Jake.” I said, hoping to ease him into security. He was having nothing of it. Jacob stared into my eyes for what felt like forever; each second felt like an eternity as they ticked by. Finally he lifted his free hand and pushed the sleeve up, no matter how much I yanked my arm away. Every inch was as long as a second as the now purple bruises came into view.

“Charlotte...” Jacob said, his voice low and icy. For the first time in a while, fear gripped me as I thought of anything he could say after this. “Who did this to you?”

“I...” My voice gave out. I cleared it after some trouble, before continuing, “no one. No one Jake.” That was a straight up lie and of course he knew it again. Strike two.

“Charlotte. Tell me. Who did this to you?” He demanded once again, starting to shake as he held onto me. I looked up at him worriedly, not knowing why he was getting so upset. We were only friends for not even a month right now.

“You don’t know him.” The words tumbled from my mouth, cringing as I thought strike three.

“Jacob,” Embry interjected, grabbing his arm as the shaking intensified.

“Embry, make sure she gets home alright.” Jacob said, suddenly letting go of my hand and heading outside. I looked at him confused going to follow, but Embry grabbed my hand shaking his head. I was so confused, why would he get so angry so fast?

The ride back to my home was quiet. Embry accompanied me, and after refusing to tell me what was happening multiple times I lapsed into a childish silent treatment, which wasn’t affecting Embry much at all. It only made me even more upset with the situation.

“Everything would be better if you just told Jacob what happened, Charlotte.” Embry said softly as we pulled into my driveway on my bike. I got off, dumping my helmet in the garage still giving the silent treatment. “I’ll be next door if you need me, I need to visit my aunt.”

I trekked upstairs quietly, not wanting to wake my sister or my mother if she was home. I stripped down to my underwear before climbing under the covers, laying in bed wide awake, thinking. After that got me nowhere but in circles after half an hour, I leaned over to grab my phone, playing with it for a moment. After a while I sent off a single text to Jacob saying good night before I layed back down, welcoming the black slumber I so desperately needed.
♠ ♠ ♠
My promised update! I hope to update once a week... Probably on a Saturday, since that seems like a good time. I might update Friday, though.

Has anyone checked out Change Of Heart yet?