Status: A-a-a-active!

Catastrophic

Jacob

“Mom? I’m home.” I called as I entered the house. She came out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on a towel she was holding.

“Oh, hello Charlotte.” She said, a troubled smile on her face. “Did you ride your motorcycle to school today?”

“Yeah, why?” I asked, setting my bag down. She took a long sigh.

“I don’t think you should ride it anymore, Charlotte.” She told me. I rolled my eyes, shrugging her statement off.

“I’ll take your suggestion into consideration.” I told her, trying to get past her to go up to my room. She blocked my way, looking like she was determined to win this conversation.

“It wasn’t a suggestion. I don’t want you riding it anymore, so don’t.” She told me, her face holding not one ounce of compassion on her face as it usually did.

“Just a week ago you were perfectly fine with it.” I reminded her, putting a hand on my hip, raising an eyebrow at her.

“Yes, but...” She paused, looking for the right words. “Ron should have never given it to you. It’s a disaster waiting to happen.”

“Uncle Ron gave it to me because he thought I was mature enough to handle it.” I told her. “Obviously he has more faith in me than my own mother.”

“ I AM your mother, and I’m TELLING you now. Get rid of it, or I will.” She threatened. I rolled my eyes.

“And I’m telling you, I’m keeping it, whether you like it or not.” I told her. She threw up her hands in frustration.

“I have no idea how your father put up with you.” She said in wonder. I stood in shock of what she said. Tears came to my eyes.

“Well we both know he didn’t put up with you.” I spat back, referring back to the divorce. She took a shocked step back, then brought up a hand and smacked me across my face.

“Don’t you dare talk to me that way again.” She hissed. I clutched my cheek in pain.

“If you hit me again, I am going to break your hand.” I told her calmly, straightening up. “Dad taught me to take no one’s shit, and that includes yours. Don’t expect to see me for a long time.” I shoved past her after grabbing my bag, walking up the stairs.

Once I got to my room, I closed my door quietly then went to find another bag to put some clothes in. I found an over night bag I had used to go to a friends house one year, and put two pairs of clothes in it. I slipped on an over-sized black hoodie, and grabbed my wallet off my dresser, along with my iPod. Walking to the makeshift window seat, I stood on it, then unlocked the window and pushed it open. I climbed out onto the window sill, and using the tree that was just big enough to support my weight, I worked my way down to the ground.

I quietly walked around the side of the house, and got onto my bike. I stopped at the small diner, and ate a small order of fries. I sat there for the next thirty minutes, trying to figure out where I’d stay for the night. Finally sighing, I pulled out my phone and texted Vespera I wouldn’t be home tonight. I wasn’t expecting a text for the next two hours, since she had detention.

The sun was already setting, casting out different hues of oranges, pinks, purples, and yellows across the sky. I heaved a large sigh, mulling over the fight I had with my mom. I finally decided that feeling guilty over things in the past is a waste of time, so I got onto my bike and rode of to the only place I could think of that no one would be. The beach.

I was wrong, though. A few cars were in the small parking lot, one of them being a Rabbit. I pulled the key out of the ignition, and put my hands into my hoodie’s pocket, a habit of mine, if you couldn’t tell. I walked down the same way I had come last time, to see that Edward’s girlfriend, Bella, sitting around a fire with a bunch of tanned guys and two girls.

“Um, uh, sorry.” I said, going to turn around.

“No, come sit with us, Charlotte.” Bella said, smiling. We had talked to each other a few times during class, and kind of hit it off. I smiled, shaking my head.

“I’ll leave you with your friends, Bella.” I told her.

“No, please join us.” An old man in a wheel chair said, smiling. I hesitated, then went to take a seat on the driftwood log next to Bella.

“Charlotte, this is Billy Black, Leah Clearwater, Seth Clearwater, Embry Call, Quil Ateara, Sam Uley, Paul, and Emily Young. Sam and Emily are engaged. Guys, this is Charlotte.” Bella said, introducing us. They all said their hellos, and I gave an awkward wave and quiet hello back. “Where’s Jacob?”

“Here.” A voice said from behind us. Bella and I turned around to see a boy of around 16 walking up behind us. He was tall, muscular, and tanned, with black hair and dark brown eyes. He stopped in his tracks, staring at me. His eyes widened, filling with a sudden clarity and what looked like adoration, then slammed shut behind iron walls. Whatever he had showed, it was gone now, hiding behind walls.

“Um... Jacob, this is Charlotte.” Bella said hesitantly, looking at him still. He was still just standing there, staring at me. I felt like someone was tugging me suddenly towards Jacob as we stared at each other. A blush came over my cheeks as I gave a quiet nice to meet you.

“Uh-hi.” Jacob said, starting to walk over to Billy Black. He must have been his dad, since they looked so alike. The rest of the male men there were looking at me curiously, like they knew something I didn’t. Even the girls there were.

“You just missed the stories.” Bella told me.

“Stories?” I asked, still well aware of Jacob’s eyes on me. She nodded, smiling.

“Yeah, how do you feel about werewolves and vampires?” Seth said, miming fangs. My face spread out into an open mouth smile as I gave a laugh.

“Um... They’re actually really fascinating.” I answered.

“Do you believe in them?” Paul asked suddenly. All eyes were on me again as I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

“Well... I think if they were to be real... would they really stay in secrecy?” I asked back.

“Maybe they want to protect those around them?” Jacob asked me, his eyes still trained intensely on me.

“How much harder would it be to protect them with them knowing?” I asked. “I’ve been told honesty is the best policy...” Seth’s face broke out into a grin, and Paul laughed.

“She’s got you there, Jacob.” Paul said jokingly. Jacob’s face broke out into a small smile, not looking at me anymore, his gaze adverted to the ground.

“Do you live here in La Push, Charlotte?” Emily asked. I bit my lip, shaking my head.

“I live in Forks.” I said after hesitating. “... Sorta...” I whispered under my breath, but everyone seemed to hear.

“What do you mean sorta?” Seth asked. I looked to the ground as Jacob’s gaze came to look at me once more.

“What’s the matter?” Jacob asked. “Honesty is the best policy.” He sounded smug about it. I raised my head to glare at him. He looked shocked, but quickly covered it up with a smirk.

“I’m on my own right now.” I said bluntly. Most of them looked shocked, or confused.

“Don’t you have parents?” Paul asked. Leah slapped his shoulder, telling him to stop prying.

“Yeah, I do.” I replied, standing up, brushing off my bottom. I shot every a small smile. “I’ll see you in school, Bells. Nice meeting you all.” I started off towards my bike, as an argument broke out between them. It stopped as footsteps started heading in my direction, and I kept walking, ignoring them. A hand was placed on my shoulder, turning me around gently. Jacob.

He looked like he had something important to say, but ended up with saying, “you can crash at my place, if you want.” I rolled my eyes.

“I don’t need any-ones pity.” I told him. “So thanks, but no thanks.” I turned around, heading for my bike again. Jacob’s longer legs allowed him to keep up with me, and for some reason I was thankful for it.

“I wasn’t offering pity.” He defended himself. “So did you get kicked out, or what?” I stopped in my tracks, glaring at him.

“It shouldn’t matter to you.” I told him heatedly. He held up his hands, an innocent look coming over his face.

“Just trying to figure y-this out.” Jacob answered. The glare slowly went away, replaced by the need for sleep and a hug from someone I wasn’t up for seeing right now.

“I ran away. Just today, actually.” I told him quietly, looking down at my shoes.

“Why?” He asked, his tone significantly softer. I looked up at him, studying his features for a second.

“Just a bigger fight than usual with my mom, is all.” I replied. He frowned at that.

“I’m sure what ever she said, she didn’t mean it.” He told me, and before I could say anything, he continued. “A parents love is unconditional. She probably just wanted the best for you.” I laughed at that.

“I guess so.” I replied, a small smile coming across my face.

“So are you going to go home?” He asked me, studying my face.

“Proooobably not, but I’ll take your words into consideration.” I replied, my smile expanding. A crooked smile came across his.

“You really should. It may be a small town, but there are a lot of creeps around here.” He told me. I laughed a little, which made his smile broaden.

“Thank you, Jacob.” I said, watching confusion swarm his eyes.

“I didn’t do anything.” He told me, smiling a bit.

“You just convinced me to go home to an over-emotional mom and a sister who’s going to kick my ass.” I replied, laughing. He pressed his lips together in a smile.

“Well I’ll hopefully see you later?” Jacob asked. I nodded, telling him definitely. We said our goodbyes, and I walked back up the path to my bike. As I shoved the key into the ignition, I saw Jacob standing there, watching me, a happy, yet sad smile on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to my six subscribers! Comments would just tickle me pink, you know.