The Armstrong Family

Story 39- I'm Not Going

"Joey" the 30 year old man called up the stairs, "Come on! I want to see what you guys look like!"

"No!" the little boy shouted back to his father.

"Please, Joey. Just come down here." the seven year old's father sighed.

"No." Joey mumbled from his bedroom.

Billie Joe sighed again. "Am I going to have to carry you around all night?"

"I'm. Not. Going!" the seven year old started yelling again.

The grown man ran a hand through his hair and watched as his youngest son ran by.

"Ruff! Ruff!" the four year old shouted, running back over to his father, "Look, daddy! I'm a puppy!" Jakob grinned, showing off his Halloween costume to his father.

Billie Joe smiled and ruffled the four year old's hair. "A darn good one, right?"

"Yeah!" Jakob shouted, bearing a huge toothy smile.

"Hey buddy, why don't you go see what mommy's doing?" the 30 year old asked, "I'm gonna go get your brother."

"Okay, daddy!" the little boy yelled, running off to find his mother as Billie Joe went up to Joey's room.

"Joey?" the boy's father asked, knocking on the bedroom door, "Are you going to come out yet?"

"No. I'm not going. I look stupid." the seven year old mumbled from the other side of the door, sounding upset.

"Can you just come out for your mother?" Billie Joe asked, leaning against the door. "Please? I promise this is the last year."

"Fine." Joey grumbled after a minute, "But it'd better be the last year!"

The 30 year old smiled slightly and stopped leaning against the door as his oldest son walked into the hallway sporting a frown and a Halloween costume that was identical to his brother's.

"Aww. You're such a cute little puppy." Billie Joe cooed, poking the tip of his son's nose.

"Shut up." Joey mumbled, glaring at his father.