Mystery Boy

New Neighbors.

I drove until I got lost in the neighborhood. All the houses seemed to get more run-down as I drove farther. There were kids playing in the streets who had to move all their toys to the side of the road when I came past. They would stare at my car like they'd never seen one that runs before so I would zoom out of there and put on a little show for them.

Eventually I turned onto a main street, heading for downtown and all the bright lights. My music was on really loud, drowning out my thoughts of my father and the noise of my cell phone ringing in the cup holder. When I got downtown I wasn't sure of what I was planning on doing so I just drove around for awhile, a couple hours, until my gas tank was begging me to refill it.

I turned around and typed my new address into the GPS system, hoping it would take me back. It wasn't a long drive and within 20 minutes I was pulling into the long driveway, not daring to leave my car on the side of the road. When I shut the car off I noticed a group of people sitting on the front steps next door smoking cigarettes and watching me as the sun began to set and disappear under the Earth.

"Can I help you?" I asked sarcastically as I slid out of my car.

"No need to be rude. We just wanted to see who was moving in with the Gray's," A tall guy replied as he stood up and walked over to the fence that was separating the yards. His friend's followed.

I rolled my eyes as I took a couple steps closer to the fence, clicking the little button on my keys to pop my trunk. I smiled and then turned to the group of men. "You're the neighbors?" I questioned, eyeing them.

The one spoke again. "I am," he muttered, "I'm Ronnie. These are my friends."

"I won't be here for long," I told him, "I'm heading out to live with my grandparents."

Ronnie chuckled and glanced to his friends. "So you must be Tom's daughter."

"How do you know my father?" I demanded as I took a tiny step closer.

Ronnie and his friends laughed, "Relax. It's cool, we're friends."

My expression contorted to one of confusion. "You're friends with my Dad? I'm not even friends with my Dad right now," I mumbled under my breath before turning to the trunk of the car.

"Yeah, well," Ronnie started, "Do you want to hang out for awhile?"

I shook my head as I pulled a box out of the trunk. "Can't," I replied, "I've got to unpack."

"I'd offer to help. But I don't want to," another guy said, causing me to look over.

"It's alright."

"I'm Derek, by the way."

"I'm Mika."

"Ryan."

I offered a small wave before rummaging through boxes to find the few that I would need for the night.

"So what school will you be going to?" Ronnie asked.

I shrugged, "My Dad promised private school again, but lately he's been horrible about keeping his promises so I'll probably be at what ever school you go to, unfortunately."

Ronnie hissed like he was in pain. "Ouch. I'm not that bad, am I?"

I rolled me eyes. "Not you, the school. It's going to be horrible."

The guys all shrugged, "Arbor View isn't that bad. Well, except for the kids... and the teachers. And the food. You know what, you better bring a sack lunch."

I groaned as I picked up a box. "Watch my stuff will you?" I asked as I started walking towards the front door of the house. I knocked on the door quickly, without dropping the box, and then I waited until the teenage boy from earlier pulled the door open.

"Oh, look who finally showed up. Tom! Your daughter's back!" He turned and called into the house.

"Just let me in, you prick."

The brunette boy chuckled and turned and went and threw himself on the couch in front of the t.v as my Dad appeared. He breathed a sigh of relief and unlocked the door, opening and holding it open for me to enter. "Where have you been, Airea!?" Dad asked, outraged.

I rested the box against my hip as I looked up at him with a blank expression. "Just show me where I'm staying," I told him.

I felt my father grab onto my arm and pull me down a hallway. He opened the first door on the left and yanked me inside. I noticed that there were two beds and a window in between. The right side of the room was covered with posters and pictures. There were a couple skateboard decks on the wall and the blankets on the bed were black and red. There was so much junk on the bed that I was disgusted. The other side of the room was bare. The bed had no sheets and the walls were white, like the rest of the room, just not plastered with things.

"Listen up, Airea," my Dad growled as he closed the bedroom door, "Just because we're in a new place doesn't mean that you can act like a new person. I want the nice Airea back right now. Not the girl who runs off and calls people names. You are not in charge here, I am."

I looked up into my Dad's blue eyes, then to the floor, then I nodded. "Okay," I murmured, "Sorry."

Dad took the box from my arms and set in on the bare bed before pulling me into a hug. "It's alright, baby girl. I know that this has been a lot to take in."

I nodded and wrapped my arms around his waist. "I need to get the rest of my things. The neighbors are watching them."

Dad pulled away quickly, "What neighbors?" he demanded.

I pointed slightly and replied, "That Ronnie kid and his friends, why?"

Dad sighed in relief. "Those kids are alright but, Airea, this is Vegas, you can't trust people not to take your things."

I nodded and followed him out to the living room where the teenage boy was still lounging on the couch. "Decklan, can you come help us for a minute?" Dad asked the boy.

He looked over the back of the couch to my Dad and then hopped up and slipped his shoes on. "Sure," he murmured as he yanked a hoodie on.

Dad followed me out to my car, where the guys were still standing at the fence. "Hey Mr. T," Ronnie called as we came closer.

"Ronnie," Dad acknowledged with a smile as he picked up a box, Decklan doing the same. "How have you been?"

Ronnie shrugged as he held his cigarette behind his back. I chuckled as one of the other boys, Ryan, grabbed it and tossed it into the yard without my Dad noticing. "I've been okay."

"Been in school?"

Ronnie nodded obediently with a too-innocent smile.

"Alright, well, unless you four want to help carry in boxes, I suggest that you get out of here," Dad said in a firm voice, his lawyer voice. But as the guys turned around to head into Ronnie's house, my dad called out again. "Hey wait." They all turned to look over their shoulders, "Where's Jacky tonight?"

Ronnie looked down the street then back to my Dad, "He said his Dad wanted to talk to him tonight. Was going to come over later if he could but I haven't heard from him."

Dad nodded and then waved them off. They wandered back into the house, Ronnie offering me a wave as he left.

"What was that about?" I asked as I grabbed the last box and locked the car.

Dad smiled at me, "Jacky is this kid who lives down the street. He's Ronnie's best friend and well, he doesn't have the best home life. He stays with Ronnie quite a bit."

I nodded and followed Dad through the front door, glancing at the living room. The room was simple. A couch in the middle, a coffee table in front of it, and a t.v on a little stand in front of them both. There were a few toys shrew around the room but it was fairly clean. The carpet wasn't stained or dirty, just a nice white carpet that seemed to be vacuumed everyday.

I could see that if we kept walking straight we'd end up in the kitchen, where a round wooden table sat with six matching wooden chairs. If we were to make a little detour around that, we'd be at a sliding glass door and then back outside, into the fenced in yard. But we turned down the same little hallway we had before and into the first door on the left. There were three other doors in the hallway, two more bedrooms and and bathroom I was assuming.

Decklan was leaving the bedroom when we entered. He had left the box on my bed before sliding out of the room and going back to the living room. I realized that this must be his room. "Thanks Deck," Dad called as he too set the boxes down and then grabbed the one from my arms.

"Yup," the brunette murmured back.

"So," Dad said in a cheerful voice, "This is your room."

I glanced around it once more, taking in all the same features as last time but noticing that the closet, which was across from my bed, next to the door, was open and half of it was empty, separated by a piece of wood that went up and around the bar. There were two small dressers inside, both of them white. One overflowing with dark clothes and the other obviously empty.

"Cool," I replied to my Dad, "For how long?"

Dad looked uneasy. "I'm not sure, Air."

I instantly became concerned. "What do you mean? We have to stay in this house?"

Dad didn't nod but he also didn't shake his head. "There might be a chance."

"Why?" I asked quickly, wondering why all our plans were flying out the window.

"Well," Dad started, "Ina and I talked about it and we decided that we want the boys to stay in the same school district. We won't be able to find a bigger place in this district anyways."

I growled, "Why the heck do they have to stay in this district? I thought you said that I could transfer to a private school!"

Dad chuckled, "Air, do you really think that we have enough money to send all four of you to private school?"

I looked at him, awestruck and then I burst, "They are not your kids!"

"Air," Dad sighed, "You know as well as I do that they're my sons."

I shook my head, "No Dad. One is your kid. So why don't you collect him and we can be on our merry way. It won't be very hard earning custody when she lives in a place like this."

"That's enough!" My Dad yelled, "You really need to grow up, Airea. This is our life now and the rest of us aren't going to be tip-toeing around you. You will start at Arbor View high school on Monday without any complaints. You will learn to live here and like it because we aren't going anywhere. Taite is your brother and you better treat him well or you're in big trouble. When Ina gets back with the boys we are going to have a sit down dinner and you are going to act like a lady."

I glared with my arms crossed, "Or what? You'll send me to boarding school?"

Dad growled and the front door opened and the sounds of Ina and the boys rang through the house, "Uncross your arms right now and get into the kitchen."

I did as I was told and followed my Dad out of the room and into the kitchen where Ina was pulling containers out of paper bags as the blonde haired little boy sat next to her on the counter.

"Daddy!" he shouted and reached his arms out to my father, "Mommy got Chinese food!" He held a grin on his face as Dad pulled him off of the counter and into his arms.

"That's great. But Taite, remember when I told you that you had a sister?"

The blonde nodded, his curls bouncing. As Dad turned around to face me Taite pointed to me. "Are you my sissy!?" he shouted, squirming out of Dad's arms and then running up to stand in front of me.

I glanced at Dad and then back to the little boy. "Yeah, I'm Airea."

"I'm Taite Andy Tollefson!"

When the little boy said his middle name my head snapped up to my father who just smiled at me softly and nodded back to Taite. Andy was my first little brother. He died at birth when I was just seven years old and for my father to name another woman's child after Andy would stab my mother in the heart.

But I let it past, knowing that there was nothing I could do about it. As long as it didn't mention it to my mom it wouldn't make a difference. Andy was my father's son too once and I guess that he had just as much right to name Taite after Andy as he would've if Taite had been my full brother and not just my half-brother.

When Ina was done setting the food on the counter and finding six plates she turned to face me. "I'm really glad you are here, Airea. It's been a while but your Dad has been waiting for this moment."

I smiled. "I know. He called me every night he was here when I was still staying with my Mom and told me what it was like here."

Ina clapped happily and then called out into the house, "Decklan! Easton! It's time to eat!"

I listened as the two of them came running into the kitchen, shoving each other to get there first. Taite squealed and jumped out of the way as Decklan shoved Easton and the younger brunette boy went flying towards him.

"Now settle down, boys," Ina told them as they took their seats, "This is our first meal as a family."

Decklan and Easton laughed. "We have dinner at the table every night!" Easton said as he began piling rice onto his plate.

Ina looked to me, "Well," she said, "Go ahead and sit down, your dad will he right back."

I looked around the room, wondering when he slipped out. I took the seat next to Taite, leaving an open one on my other side for my father. Ina sat down on the other side of that one. Decklan was next to her and Easton next to him and Taite.

Dad returned a minute later and took his seat, immediately grabbing Taite's plate and putting food on it for him. Dad cut the beef and chicken up a little more before covering it in soy sauce and handing it back to Taite, along with a fork.

Taite said thank you and began devouring his food. I watched as this family ate silently, peacefully. The only sound was the noise of forks clanking against plates. I continued eating as everyone began a conversation.

"Did you boys do your homework?" Ina asked the two of them.

They both shook their heads simultaneously.

"Then that's what you're doing after dinner," Dad said, shocking me. I had figured that Dad had no say in what the older two did, seeing as he wasn't their biological father but obviously I was wrong. I got to thinking, realizing that Dad had been apart of this family for over five years and that he'd been here when they were just little kids.

"Airea," Dad called, "Airea."

When I looked up all eyes were on me. "Yeah?" I asked, confused.

"We're going school shopping tomorrow, okay?" Ina told me with a smile as she brushed her shoulder length brown hair out of her brown eyes.

"Okay," I repeated.

"Can I come!?" Taite shouted, bouncing in his chair.

Everyone chuckled but Dad spoke. "Only if you eat everything on that plate in front of you."

Taite whined, "But I don't like broccoli."

Dad sighed, "Well, I guess you have to stay home all by yourself tomorrow."

I watched as the four year old popped the green vegetable in his mouth, chewed, and swallowed quickly. "What about now?"

Everyone laughed again as Dad waved his hand at him. "Just eat your food."

After dinner Dad took Taite to give him a bath. I watched as the other two, Decklan disappeared into his as Easton grabbed a skateboard from the living room and headed outside even though he was told do homework. I went and sat outside too, feeling like I couldn't go into my 'new room' because it was Decklan's first. I sat outside on the front steps, looking over the neighborhood, wondering how I had ended up here.

I rested my head on my knees and closed my eyes. That was until I heard the screen door opening. I turned around to see Decklan standing there, holding the door open. "Mom wants you in the house," he said looking to me and then his younger brother, "It's getting late and she wants your homework done."

I nodded and stood up, following behind him, Easton hot on my heels. I left the bedroom door wide open once I entered the bedroom. I began looking through my boxes as Decklan laid on his bed and messed with his iPod, listening to it. I found the box that contained my sheets and I began to make my bed. I pulled the dark purple sheets on and then my black comforter.

I jumped when I noticed two pillows come flying at me. I looked over to Decklan. "I borrowed them while you weren't here." He rolled up two mix-matched pillow cases and tossed them under his bed. I put my own pillow cases on and set them on the bed. I moved onto the next box, pulling out pictures and putting them on my own white nightstand. One of two that were in between our beds.

After about 45 minutes I was all unpacked, except for my clothes and posters. My things were put were they were supposed to go and I was sitting on my bed, trying to get internet access on my computer. I sighed when there was no such luck.

I noticed Decklan roll his eyes.

I scoffed, "What is your problem?"

"Don't have one," he said simply.

"Yeah. Okay." I stood up and walked out of the small sized bedroom. I wandered out to the living room and noticed that my father was laying on the couch with Taite laying on his chest.

"Hey baby girl," he greeted when he noticed me, "Are you all finished packing?"

"Yeah, pretty much," I said as I stood at the end of the couch. I noticed that Taite was asleep.

Dad sat up carefully and wrapped his arms around Taite. The little boy stirred but didn't wake, even as Dad got to his feet and began walking down the hallway. "Follow me," Dad murmured.

So I did. I followed Dad to the last door on the left, the room next to mine. Dad pushed the door open and I saw that Easton was asleep. His blankets were thrown off of him and his hair was wild. He was fully clothed as he slept, his shoes on and his skateboard next to him. Dad placed Taite down on the empty bed and covered him up. Then he went over to Easton and pulled his dirty shoes off. Dad helped Easton sit up, seeing as the boy was barely awake. Dad pulled Easton's stripped shirt over his head and then laid him back down. I watched as Dad unbutton Easton's jeans and pulled them off, covering the young boy up as he slept.

Dad grabbed onto the skateboard and rolled it under the bed. Finally he turned to me and smiled. He slid past me and back out into the living room. Dad sat down on the couch and patted the spot next to him.

"Have a seat," he said.

I sat down and Dad's arms wrapped around my shoulders. "I'm glad you're here, Airea."

I nodded, "I know."

But Dad continued, "I know that you aren't that glad to be here, but this will be good for you."

I gave him a blank look. "How?"

He chuckled and rubbed my back, "You get to meet your brother."

I shrugged, "That wouldn't even be alive if you hadn't cheated on Mom."

Dad sighed and rubbed his own forehead. "Air, we've already established that your Mother and I had problems. But you can't hold it against me for the rest of my life."

I shrugged again. "I could but I guess I won't. But Dad," I cried, "I don't understand why you had to bring me here. Why couldn't you have just shipped me off like normal parents?"

"Because," Dad murmured, "I didn't want to live without you."

I looked away from him. "Seems like you've been doing pretty well without me these last few years."

"I wanted to bring you here and start this life with you in it but it was so hard, Air."

I looked back to my Dad, my blonde hair flying around my head and my blue eyes screaming. "Why did you even have to start this life? Wasn't I enough? I was 11, Dad. How can you leave your 11 year old daughter to go raise somebody else's sons?"

"Air, I'm sorry!" Dad said frantically.

I shook my head, "Yeah okay. Sorry for what? For having me or for being happy without me?"

Dad struggled to find the words he was looking for and as he did tears fell and landed on my cheeks.

"Why wasn't I enough, Dad?"

"Airea," he pleaded, "You were!"

"Then why'd you have to run off and have another kid?!" Now the tears were violent and restless. They cascaded down my cheeks in pools, threatening to drown me and then wash me away so that my father would never have to see me again.

I took a few deep breaths to calm myself and then I looked to my father who was crumbling on the couch. "How could you live two lives and not love one more?"

My father's silence was all the answer I needed. I turned and I walked back into the room that I would share with Decklan from now on. He was watching me as I entered, no hate or resentment in his eyes this time, just pity. I knew that he probably didn't know that he was stealing my Dad from me, taking him and making him wish that he only had one life, this one.

"What are you staring at?" I questioned as I sat down on my bed and wiped the tears from my eyes.

He shrugged, "Just someone who should really grow up."

My head snapped to him. "Excuse me?"

Decklan rolled his eyes. "You know," he stated, "Ever since I could remember it's been Airea this and Airea that from your Dad. 'Today's Airea's birthday, I have to fly home! Tomorrow's Airea's eighth grade graduation party, I have to leave. See you later boys.' It's always been about you. Even when your Dad is here he's thinking of what is going on in your life. How do you think Taite feels when his Dad packs up and leaves for two weeks, a month. Probably the same way you feel when your Dad flies out to 'conventions' and stuff. You should really cut Tom a break."

I rolled my eyes. "Sorry, but I just found out that my Dad has a whole other family that he likes more then my old one."

Decklan shouted, "He loves my mom! That's why he's here! He loves Taite, and Easton, and even me. But the thing is, Airea, he loves you just as fucking much. So grow up a little bit and realize that the world isn't always going to revolve around you."

With that Decklan laid back on his bed and plugged his earphones in. I could hear his music from my side of the room. I climbed under my sheets and reached for my phone that I had tucked under my pillow. There was a missed call from my best friend. A girl named Kelley who I had known since I was a baby.

I smiled when I thought about Kelley Aims. She was captain of the cheerleading squad, ran for class president every year. She was bright, with a 4.0 GPA and loads of friends. She was the type of girl to help you herself instead of finding someone else to do it for you.

So I sent her a text telling her that I missed her and that I wished she was here.

The next thing I knew my phone was vibrating with a call. I pressed the talk button and lifted it to my ear.

"Kelley?" I asked, although I already knew it was her.

"Air!" She shouted through the phone, "How are you? Are you okay? Have you been shot? Why didn't you call me earlier!?"

I chuckled and attempted to calm her. "Hey Kell, I'm alright. I've been kind of busy. It was a long drive and then I had to meet Ina's sons and my... little brother."

Kelley squealed. "Are they nice? What is your brother like? Does he look like you?"

I shrugged to myself as I hid my entire body under my blankets. "Yeah. They're okay. I'm sharing a room though. My Dad told me that we are staying in this house. It's so small, Kell. I think I'm going to die without my own room."

"What is your brother like? Does he look like you?" She repeated.

I smiled to myself, missing her quirkiness. "Well," I said, "He's four, blonde, insane curls. He has blue eyes and his name's Taite." I sighed, "He looks just like me. Same face and everything."

"Aww," Kelley cooed, "I want to meet him!"

I nodded, "Maybe you can come down someday soon."

Kelley squeaked again. "Really? Well, what are your soon-to-be step brothers like? Are they both younger than you?"

I peaked out of the blanket to make sure that Decklan was still listening to his iPod. When I saw that he was laying down with his eyes closed and his earbuds in, I replied. "No. One, Decklan, he's older than me by like a year and seems like a total prick. The other one, Easton, he's 11 and there's not much to him except skateboarding and food."

I heard someone in the background on Kelley's phone. Then she spoke. "Hey Air, my mom wants me in bed. Text me tomorrow okay! Love you, good night!" The phone line went dead. I sighed and exited the call before sliding my phone back under my pillow and closing my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is! :) Thanks for reading and commenting.

Image

^^Just something I drew when planning out what the house would look like. I thought maybe it could help you guys incase you got confused when I was describing the house. Ronnie's house is on the side with the driveway, by the way. (And the black squiggly things on the walls are windows.)

Image
^^Taite. :D So cute.