Jade

Kebabs

I looked at my Bananas in Pajamas plastic kiddies watch; I had only been here for 13 minutes. Then I remembered that Ben would be out soon. He was so good looking and seemed like a pretty good person.

I had nothing to entertain myself so I thought about my session. I hurt myself even though mum and dad loved me, I was so confused. I didn’t want to think like that. I heard footsteps then I looked to my left, there was Ben. I got up too fast, nearly falling over.

“Hi”

“Hello again, are you waiting for someone”

“MY friends picking me up in 43 minutes”

“Want a lift”

“I got told never to get a lift with a stranger”

“What are you like 2? C’mon”

We walked to his car, he had a little white Ute, it was cute, and I liked it.

“Nice car”

“Awesome isn’t it? My mum bought it for my birthday”

“Generous”

We got in the car.

“So where do you live?”

“Do you mind taking me to Centro?”

“No problem, why?”

“I’ll meet my friend”

“Do you want to grab lunch together?”

“Sure”

He went to turn right and as he did I saw bruises up his arms.

“Oh my gosh!”

“What, is there a cow on the road”

“What?!”

“Do not ask me why I just asked you that…”

I giggled a small girlish giggle.

“I mean, where did you get those bruises?”

“Oh…skating…accident…yeah”

Sure.

“Ouch”

We were bonding really well for people who had just met. We pulled into a car space and started to get out, but with my great luck my door was jammed.

Ben walked to my side and opened it for me.

“Child lock, sorry”

“Why?”

“No one has ever been in the passenger side before and It came locked when I got the car, just never took it off”

“Why has no one been in your car?”

We were approaching the entrance to the center”

“Honestly, I have no friends at Barrenjoey”

What, he was the most gorgeous thing in the world, how would he have no friends?
“That sucks; honestly I didn’t have any friends until the other day”

“Well I have my mum, and I love her to death” He put his head down and rolled his eyes “Im sorry, that wasn’t a good phrase to use”

It had only just hit me ‘love her to death’.

“Please, it so doesn’t matter. You know you should move to Pittwater, you could be friends with Phoenix and me”

We walked over to Jay Jay’s.

“That would be pretty cool; you know I might ask my mum about that. She did want to move from Avalon to Warriewood. Where do you live?”

“Avalon, with my Nana”

“You live in Avalon but you go to Pittwater?”

“Yeah, I wanted to got somewhere further away, I didn’t want people to know a lot about my parent’s death, but I turned out a lot of the Avalon kids went to Pittwater anyway”

We turned into Jay Jay’s.

“Phoenix?”

Phoenix popped out of a changing room, she looked scruffy.

“Hey Jade” she came and hugged me.

“This is Ben”

“Hey Ben”

“Hi, uh, Phoenix was it?”

“Yeah”

Then a girl walked out of a changing room, I could have sworn it was the one Phoenix came out of.

“Bye Phe” the girl walked past us and towards the door.

“Bye Angie”

“Who’s that?” Why were they in there together?

“She wants a job here; I was just showing her the basics”

“This is my, uh, favourite, um… shop.”

“Yeah it rocks. Anyway Jade, I had to take another shift so im closing tonight, sorry”

“Oh, that’s alright I suppose. Bye Phe” I turned away and giggled. Ben followed me.

“You still want to grab lunch?”

“I would love to grab lunch, but I have no money”

“My shout?”

“Alright”

We both got a kebab and went and sat at a little two seated table.

“So Ben, how do you not have any friends” I took a bite of my kebab “You seem like a good guy”

“Im not comfortable around people. Did you see me in there with Phoenix, I was like a mess. The only people I trust is my mum and counselor”

“What about your dad? And me?”

“I don’t get along with my dad much; he is the reason for my counseling”

“And me?”

“I was confused when I met you, I could talk to you, and not be shy or say, uh and umm all the time. It was weird and when I met you outside I just wanted to give you a life so I could talk to you and figure out why I wasn’t shy or uncomfortable around you”

“Did you?”

“Did I what?”

“Figure out why im different?”

“Not yet, but im willing to give it a try” He smiled, his white teeth flashed and I felt genuinely happy inside.

“You wouldn’t mind giving me a lift to Avalon on your way home would you?”

“Not at all. You mind if we have a look round here first?”

“Nope, what do you want to get?”

“I just want to look”
♠ ♠ ♠
I have to say that i wrote this chapter really bad. Dont know why, i just dont like it...