Middle School Crushes

Prologue

“You can’t expect us to just be together and ride off into the sunset, Danny. Life doesn’t work that way and this,” he motioned between us, “most certainly doesn’t work that way.”

“That’s not exactly what I expected…but I hoped we could be something.” I couldn’t stop the shameful blush that covered my face. I couldn’t believe this was happening to me. All this time he assured me that I was fine, I was normal, and this was okay. And now suddenly it wasn’t?

“We are…I mean we were. But this wasn’t realistic on my part and I’m sorry.”

“But…but…I thought…” At the mention of ‘we were’ the tears began to flow and the nothing I was going to be able to do to stop them.

“Danny, get it through your thick skull. This is illegal. It was always illegal and until you turned16 it would have been illegal – ”

I cut him off. “That’s only two years! Two years and we would have been fine!”

“I’m not waiting around Danny. This isn’t going to keep working.” His gaze left mine and saw his adam’s apple bob in a swallow. “You’re just a kid. I shouldn’t have led you on like I did. It was wrong. I’m sorry. I have to go.” Avery stood from his spot on my bed and didn’t look back. The clicking of the door closing felt so final I lost my breath.

What perfect timing. I start high school tomorrow and I’m going to be a mess.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm struggling to write again. I'm so sorry everyone. I feel like such a failure.

The first chapter should be up tonight.