Status: fin.

Love Like Winter

two;

Aurora beat the steering wheel in time to the rhythm of whatever heavy metal song was blaring through her speakers. It was certainly not something she wished to be listening to, but honestly, she was much too concentrated on the ridiculous roads ahead of her to pay much attention to the radio. Her eyes were squinted as she attempted to predict the next curve in the road, it was getting dark and Aurora didn’t have the best vision.

After several more minutes of driving, she sighed in defeat before flipping the switch for headlights, and then finally changing that god damn radio station. As something more familiar filled the car, she turned her attention back to the road. It happened very fast then, there was a big shadow, Aurora screamed, swerved and then plowed into a massive oak tree.

Her forehead bounced off the steering wheel and she swore as she felt skin tear. As she glanced back up, staring into bark dots danced across her vision. Pressing the palm of her hand against her head, she groaned, desperately trying to clear her vision. What the hell had jumped out at her? It was much too big to be a dear…maybe a really overgrown dog of some sort?

Oh crap, what if it’s a bear?

Aurora turned away from her broken windshield and shoved on the car door. When it finally opened, and she removed her hand from her head to steady herself, she saw blood trickling down her wrist. “Shit,” she muttered. Only in whatever this god-forsaken place was for less than an hour and already she had messed up somehow. Uncle Davidson would be mighty pleased to find out his niece had crashed the car.

Of course, Aurora would be more than glad if she was sent back home, but that hardly seemed likely. It wasn’t like she was the biggest troublemaker in the world, but the girl did have a temper. That temper was something not to be tampered with, and it just happened to flare one too many times back home. Now she was sent to the middle of nowhere for a good hard lesson in manners, and most likely anger management.

As Aurora stumbled out of the car, and crawled, nearly on all fours back to the road, she cried out when she saw the crumpled body on the pavement. It had been a deer, and now up close it didn’t look big at all. Dark blood stained the charcoal at her feet, and Aurora had to bite back a sob.

The poor thing…she killed it. Shit, now what? Aurora not only had anger issues, but not animal killer was added to her rep? This was just great. As Aurora swatted away stray tears, she turned around trying to face away from the mutilated corpse…but then there was a sound. A sound that was pained, and agonized…a sound not human.

Slowly, Aurora turned to see the deer kicking desperately…trying to stand most likely. It was still alive…but that didn’t make Aurora feel any better…she was in pain. Maybe there was a way to help…Aurora stepped forward hastily and was immediately propelled away.

Something had leaped out of the shadows, something that looked enormous and angry. With wide eyes, Aurora stared at whatever it was, scampered backwards desperately on all fours. Yellow eyes gleamed at her, and suddenly the thing took a step towards her. The step sounded like an explosion, and Aurora had to clap her hand over her mouth to keep from crying out.

She could hear the intake of breath the creature made, and she thought she saw white teeth glimmering in the light…saliva dribbling down the monster’s mouth. Squinting, Aurora could’ve sworn it looked like…a wolf? But it was way too big to be a wolf, maybe it was…a bear? Or a mountain lion? It was too dark to tell.

The creature looked away then, ears perking upward as if someone was calling to it. A sound like a sigh of annoyance ripped through the beast, and it turned back to Aurora, head tilting in curiosity. The wolf-bear thing seemed to dip its head at Aurora, almost like…a departure message. Then it turned back to the deer, grasped it in its jowls and then bounded back through the forest.

It took a moment for the shock paralysis to wear off. After that moment passed, the aching headache returned and Aurora turned back around, heart still pounding as she frantically scrabbled to the car. Diving back into the safety of the car, she dug around for her cell phone. Eventually whipping it out and dialing her Uncle’s number.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY!