Saving Me

The Beginning

Jack’s POV

“Zaaaaaackaaaa, didju remembrrr.” I started, but I was so intoxicated that I couldn’t finish my sentence. Hysterical laughter filled the tiny little Chevy that I had been driving.

“Jaaaaaak, you're my bestest fran in the wholeeeee world,” my friend, Zack laughed.

“Youu guys are sooooooo f-f-funnyyyyy,” Zack’s girlfriend, Naomi slurred.

“Noooooo Naomeeee you funnyyyy,” Zack struggled to say.

Suddenly the car halted to an abrupt stop along with the drunken laughter, and the sound of shattering glass filled the deadly silence. An unfamiliar scream that could have been heard miles and miles away pierced our ears. In the last moments of consciousness I could remember, I was hanging upside down with a warm and burning liquid running through my hair and onto the pavement. To the right of me was a completely unconscious Zack, and behind me was Naomi who was also unconscious. Blood coming from a large gash on her chest covered her face. And then was darkness.

Katherine’s POV

“Katherine, this is the third time this week that you’ve been late! We need you to be on time! Especially on Friday nights when the dining room is full like this! We can’t work with only one waitress!” My manager screamed.

“I know, I know. I’m sorry. My mom was late coming home and I couldn’t leave my nephew home alone. I’m sorry. I’ll be there in about ten minutes, I’m on my way.” I explained frantically. It was going on 6:00 P.M. and I was scheduled to begin work at 5:00. An hour late for the third time this week, thanks to my self centered little sister, Rena. She conceived a baby boy at 17, and didn’t know how to handle him on her own. My mother, never being one to correct mistakes, took maters into her own hands and treated him as her son while Rena went out to parties and got trashed every night. I suffered severely from the situation, having to be held back from starting my own family or continuing on to college. 21, and still living at home to baby-sit her kid.

“The next time this happens, you’re fired.” He shouted and hung up.

I looked down at my phone and sighed. If Rena got me fired, she’d pay for it. After throwing my phone back into the cup holder, I looked back at the road to see a car coming at me full force.

“FUCK!” I screamed, and held down my horn.

The car attempted to swerve out of my way, but failed. Our cars collided, causing both to halt to a stop. The car in front of me flipped on it’s side and then upside down. I screamed loudly as I was handed a face full of glass. Blood ran down my face, and I attempted to catch my breath, but slipped quickly into unconsciousness.

Alex’s POV

“Has anyone seen Jack?!” I asked, bursting into a busy living room.

There were a few drunken people passed out on the floor while the others were holding their beers, and talking loudly. The music was far too loud for anyone to hear me. I stood on the coffee table.

“Hey!” I yelled.

No one even turned a head.

“HEY!” I tried once more.

Not a single eye met mine.

“CAN EVERYBODY SHUT THE FUCK UP?”

A sober Matt turned the music down, and everyone finally turned their attention towards me.

“Has anyone seen Jack?!” I yelled, hopeful.

“He left-t wit Zackkkkk n Nameeee!” Rian drunkenly laughed back at me.

“Oh shit!” I muttered to myself, and hopped off the coffee table.

Matt turned the music back up and everyone went back to what they were doing.

I ran towards Matt frantically, calling after him.

“Alex, what’s wrong?!” He asked, thoughtfully.

“Matt, Jack was completely trashed! So were Zack and Naomi! If they left we’re screwed!” I said almost in tears.

Matt’s expression changed quickly and his face went white. “Who was supposed to watch him?”

I looked down at my Converse and mumbled, “Me.”

“Oh my god. Did you try calling him?”

“Yes. Numerous times. He didn’t answer, Matt. I’m scared.”

“It’ll be okay,” he said shakily. He was sincere, but nowhere near sure of himself.

“Come on, let’s go find them.”

He pulled his keys out of his pocket and motioned for me to follow. We ran quickly out to his car, and I took the passenger seat.

“God, Zack’s fucking car isn’t here.” I muttered, painfully.

“How the fuck did you lose track of him, man?” Matt asked.

“Stella started—“ my vibrating cell phone cut me off. Relief washed over me, and I answered before I looked to see who was calling.

“Jack, where the fuck are you, man? I’m worried sick!”

“Alex.” Joyce’s shaky voice echoed through my speaker. Joyce was Jack’s mother. My stomach sank with terrible thoughts the second I heard her tone of voice.

“Joyce?”

Matt stopped abruptly and pulled over to the side of the road.

“Alex, Jack has been in a terrible accident. Zack and Naomi were in the car with him. Jack and Naomi are in critical care. Zack only had minor injuries. They don’t think that Jack is going to make it,” I could hear her crying now, and she paused for a while. “Jack was the driver. He was drunk. They hit a girl who they expect to die by tomorrow morning.” She sobbed.

“Joyce... I-I’m so sorry....,” I started. I couldn’t swallow, and I felt like I was going to vomit. “I’m going to the hospital right now. I’ll be there soon, I promise.”

“Hurry, Alex. Be safe, please. I love you.” She whispered. Joyce had never said I love you to me before. She was obviously at her weakest point. By then I had realized that I did this to her, and everything was all my fault. I wished I were dead.

“I love you too,” I said with tears running down my face and hung up.

“What’s going on?” Matt asked.

“Jack-“ My insides had crept up my throat, and I rushed to open Matt’s car door and vomit right next to the road.

“Oh my God,” he whispered.

I shut the car door, and he quit asking questions. Instead, he drove straight to the hospital. The car was filled with silence, and silent tears ran down my face. This was all my fault. I couldn’t just keep an eye on him and now my best friend is dying.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, what do you think? : )