Status: Updated when I can find time to. I hope you understand, whoever reads this story.

Trade Mistakes

On the Verge of Something

When the siblings landed in a cold, soft snow drift, Trinity instantly felt pain shooting through her left leg. It was like her skin was ripped away, leaving a burning sensation. It didn’t help to see the snow was slowly turning from pristine white to blood red. Oliver’s hand slipped from hers and was standing above her, horror etched across his partially freckled face. He seemed in a daze, just staring at her until she used her uninjured leg to kick him in the shin. This knocked him out of his daze.

“You’ve been splinched!” He began to search through the small coat that tight around his torso and looked more like a woman’s cardigan than coat. “Where’s that damn dittany!?” He yelled out in frustration. Seconds later, he was yanking her pant leg up to just above her knee. By this time, Trinity was sitting up halfway and almost wretched in disgust as she saw parts of her skin were missing, leaving her muscles to be exposed to the bitter air. It stung like hell and Trinity felt fatigued as she watched Oliver apply the dittany he must have found in the coat. Once the substance was thoroughly applied, Trinity felt the pain slowly fade away and was able to move her leg freely.

Glancing back down, she saw with immense relief that the skin had returned. It looked rough but it was her skin. Oliver sighed in relief when he saw it too. She moved it around for extra measure, feeling it ache just a little but that was expected. Half of her skin had just been removed after all!

“I’m sorry sis. I was trying to get us out of there before something bad happened.” Oliver told her, pulling her off the ground. Immediately, she felt bile rise to her throat and she had to bend over, emptying what she had eaten at breakfast that morning and on the train. Oliver patted her back, clearly uncertain of what to do. Once Trinity was okay to stand up straight without feeling sick, Oliver cleaned the snow off, making sure to eliminate any evidence that anyone had been injured or sick, “Is that from the wound or Apparation sickness?” He questioned, leading her up the hill. She shrugged as she surveyed her surroundings.

Since they had Apparated, Trinity realized they were now on an old country road instead of the dark alleyway they were in just minutes ago. There was a town off in the distance but could barely be seen from their spot upon the hill. There were a few homes on the road but they were widely spaced out. Trinity seemed like she had been there before but she couldn’t remember when.

“We’re in Devon, England. I had to come here for Auror business before I was able to go to London. I think this part is Ottery St. Catchpole. I came to see Uncle Amos too.” He stopped there, glancing over at her to evaluate her reaction. Trinity sighed and shook her head. Of course, now she remembered. It was when they had visited Uncle Amos when the Quidditch World Cup was in Britain. She took a glance at Oliver to see him giving her a sign of pity. Cedric had, after all, been her closest relative besides Oliver. Despite this, she wasn’t going to let him hold her back from living her life. Besides, Cedric wouldn’t have wanted her to be mourning for so long.

He would’ve wanted her to be happy.

“You don’t have to protect me Oliver. He’s been gone for almost two years now.” Trinity told him and sighed, “He wouldn’t have wanted me to still be grieving over his death. You know how he was, not wanting people to worry about him…he’s better off now. He doesn’t have to live in the constant fear of…” She paused to watch her brother’s reaction. His face was calm, but she could see the fear in his blue eyes their mother had given him, “Voldemort.” That was probably the first time she had ever really said his name out loud. Oliver’s blue eyes hardened and a frown etched across his face.

“You know, when news spread in the United States about… Voldemort’s return, I knew I had to come and help out those against him. I wanted to avenge our cousin and at one time, I wasn’t objected to killing if it was necessary… then I remembered that Cedric wouldn’t have wanted that. Sure, he would’ve wanted to me to help but he wouldn’t want me to end someone's life for revenge.” Oliver stopped there and Trinity could hear the emotion rising in his deep voice. This was the first time in years that she had ever seen or heard her brother grow upset over something.

He was right though, Cedric wouldn’t have wanted anyone to avenge his death. He had a heart of gold and wouldn’t want anyone to hurt themselves, physically and mentally, for him. That was just how he was. They both had to keep that in mind.

Her thoughts were interrupted with the sound of an automobile coming down the road from the town. Oliver heard it too for he grabbed her jacket and pulled her off the road just as a red car sped by, horn honking on its way by. Trinity scowled after it, ready to whip her wand out to send a hex to the driver. Oliver sent her a disapproving glare and she took her hand off of her wand.

“Muggles are a bit wild behind the wheel of those things.” Oliver commented, thoughts of his cousin leaving his mind to stare after the blue car speeding off into the distance, “I’ve dealt with a lot of wizards in the U.S. trying to make them fly.” Trinity didn’t doubt this for a second. There were people across the United States that had a love for speed and always wanted to reach new levels to get the fastest vehicle in the history of man. Wizards had decided, when the contraption was invented, that they had to prove that they were better than Muggles in the sport of racing while trying to figure out how to make the stupid things fly. It was all ridiculous and pointless to Trinity.

The Muggles would figure it out eventually.

Trinity hated cars with a passion. They were clunky, a million things could go wrong at any given time, and required gasoline to keep them running. There was also the fact that the people driving were maniacs, much like whoever had just passed them. Back when Trinity roamed Boston with Oliver, they had to avoid being hit every time.

-#-

The siblings continued along the side of the road in case anyone else drove by. Oliver, sometime during their walk, made the jacket he was wearing longer to fit his long torso. They were both silent, focusing on getting to their destination, Uncle Amos’. Trinity was sure that was where they were heading. Uncle Amos and his wife Amelia were the only family she had in England since her grandparents on both sides were dead long before she was born and Cedric was gone. Nobody knew nor cared where Suzanne was at the moment; she was old enough to take care of herself. So Uncle Amos was their only choice.

“We’re getting close to our destination.” Oliver declared ten minutes later in victory and Trinity was relieved. The nap she had on the train had helped her stay strong but she was beginning to feel weak, probably from the splinching, “I would have Apparated us to their house but after that incident where I could’ve killed you, I wasn’t going to risk it. Also, I was hoping Aunt Amelia would look over your leg. Is it hurting you any?” She nodded, “I’m sorry for that by the way. I thought of this place at the last minute really.”

She could see a look of sheer guilt appear on Oliver’s face and Trinity put a hand on his arm, “I don’t blame you for that Oliver. It could’ve happened to anyone in the situation we were in.” Trinity told him forcefully. He glanced down at her, a soft smile appearing on his face, but he stayed silent as they approached a sign with their surname painted on, pointing up a long and winding dirt path where a two-story house could be seen in the distance. Trinity sighed as she realized the last summer she had been at the Diggory home was when Cedric was alive.

This was going to be great, she thought sarcastically but followed her brother toward her Uncle Amos’ house.

After what seemed like an hour but was really ten minutes, the siblings were at Uncle Amos’ front door. The two-story home was smaller than most wizard homes but really, with Cedric being an only child, they didn’t need the extra space. Trinity thought, with a heavy heart, that they probably didn’t use Cedric’s room for anything and maybe even didn’t touch his possessions.

It’s not like he would be using them again, Trinity thought sadistically, not where he’s at.

That was as negative as she let herself get as Oliver grabbed the brass knocker on their door. He glanced over at her solemnly like he was realizing their cousin wouldn’t be inside the house they were about to enter. When they heard nothing, Oliver knocked again. A minute passed before the siblings heard locks sliding and twisting. A second later, the face of their Uncle Amos peeked through the crack of the door, his bright blue eyes narrowed and cold. Trinity noticed that he looked like he had lost weight and was looking a bit sick.

“Um, I’m sorry we were unannounced but-…” Oliver began but as soon as his voice sounded, Amos opened the door and ushered the both of them in quickly and without a word. As soon as they entered the warm home, Trinity and Oliver realized how cold the weather was outside. Trinity couldn’t be any more thrilled to be indoors.

Amos took their boots, drying them off with a spell before placing them in the hall closet. He then led the siblings down the entrance hall that seemed to go on forever. The ceiling was lower, close to Oliver’s head, but it made adequate room for her brother as he stood beside his six foot uncle. Trinity noticed right away that the limp her uncle had had on his right side when she had last seen him had gotten worse, making him have to use a cane to walk. She passed a quizzical look to Oliver but he looked just as concerned as she did.

They passed the living room that reminded her more of a Muggle’s living room than a wizard’s with muggle-like leather chairs and couch. The fireplace was blazing and making crackling noises as it burned. Candles were lit around the room, illuminating the various bookcases of Amelia’s and Cedric’s.

Trinity remembered Cedric had read in the corner by the window. She had caught him one night deep into a book and told him that he should read her copy of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. He had refused that first night but she found him the next night with his nose in it. She hadn’t said a word about it, even when he had finished it two nights later. She had found it in her trunk, exactly where he had found it the morning after with a smile. Now she couldn’t read that book without missing Cedric.

“Aunt Amelia is in the kitchen with your mum.” Trinity and Oliver shared confused glances. Their mother was here! “I think you remember where that is, yeah?” He asked the siblings, breaking Trinity out of her thoughts. She nodded along with Oliver, not sure of what she was agreeing to, “Well I’ve got some things to settle at the Ministry so I’ll see you later, yeah?” Amos left the siblings, strolling into the living room, and seconds later, they saw the green light from the fireplace, indicating that he had used the Floo network.

“I wonder what he has to do at the Ministry.” Oliver wondered aloud, raking his hand through his blond hair. He checked the watch on his wrist, that Trinity had only just now realized he had on, “If he had something to do at the Ministry, wouldn’t he already be there?” Trinity again shrugged. She had no clue how the Ministry in England worked. All she knew was that it must be important for Uncle Amos to leave right away.

“Come on, I want to know why mom is here.” Trinity reminded her brother, just remembering herself what Uncle Amos had told them. It was peculiar for her to be here without their father coming along. Something must have happened for her to be here, something horrible. Trinity imagined that the people after them must have gone after their parents too.

Nevertheless, the siblings found their way down the long hallway to the kitchen where two women were sitting, silently sipping their tea. One woman, one they knew to be Amelia Diggory, had brunette hair with gray streaks that flowed down her back in a long braid. Her body was smaller, making her look thinner than she was. Her green eyes found the siblings in the doorway first and lit up at the sight of her niece and nephew.

The other woman, one that Trinity hadn’t seen since September 1, was staring out the kitchen window. It was clear that her health was becoming worse as she got older. She had lost a considerable amount of weight, her blond hair was showing bits of gray and white, and her hands were visibly shaking, like she was traumatized. Trinity couldn’t believe that this was her mother after four months. Something was wrong.

“Oliver, Trinity, it’s nice to see you again!” Amelia got out of her chair and rushed over to them, gripping them both, “We were worried you wouldn’t make it with everything that’s happening.” Both siblings pulled away from her, confused. Why was everyone being secretive? Trinity thought, getting irritated.

The siblings didn’t say anything as Amelia led them to the table where their mother was still sitting, staring out the kitchen window. Amelia gave them pointed looks, pleading with her green eyes not to ask about their mother and why she was there. Both understood as they sat at the wooden table too.

Amelia made them tea as they began to talk about their lives since June of 1994. Surprisingly their aunt knew Trinity was going to Hogwarts but she hadn’t known anything other than that. As Trinity began to tell about the Quidditch incident, the other three in the room were surprised; her mother as surprised as she could be in her state. They hadn’t received a letter of any kind and Trinity hadn’t thought to write. She was too busy trying to get her work done and dispelling any rumors about her free fall.

“You’ll have to get a new broom, though dad wouldn’t like that. He doesn’t like to do anything for you…I’ll never understand that.” Oliver told her once she was finished with her story. Trinity shrugged her shoulder. She knew better by now.

“I’m fine with using one of the school’s brooms. I’m not picky.” She replied and took a sip of her tea. Oliver raised his eyebrows, not really believing her but he also shrugged his shoulders, “Besides, I’ll never go pro in Quidditch so having my own broom would be a waste.”

“Trinity, I always liked how modest you were. It seems like you haven’t changed at all.” Amelia told her youngest niece, patting her on the back. It was no secret that Trinity was her favorite of her two nieces. She had found Suzanne using a few jinxes and curses on Trinity when she had visited their home in Boston, knowing full and well that she couldn’t defend herself. Suzanne had received a licking, even though she was seventeen at the time. From then on, Amelia and Trinity had been close.

“Aunt Amelia, I’m sorry I haven’t written to you any. My homework and Quidditch has been keeping me busy.” Her Aunt just shook her head, smile on her tiny face.

“It’s fine dear. I once went to Hogwarts and know how hard the coursework can be, isn’t that right Grace?” Amelia glanced over at their mother, Grace Diggory, as she continued to stare out the kitchen window like she was waiting for someone to appear over the hills in the distance. Trinity bit her lip, waiting for her mother to say something, anything that would remind her of the person that she had known. Oliver seemed to be on the edge of his seat as his blue eyes flicked between Amelia and Grace, then set his gaze on Grace.

“Mom, I hope you don’t mind me asking…but are you okay?” Oliver asked tenderly, almost as if he was still evaluating his words. She finally tore her gaze from the window to glance around at the people sitting at the table, almost like she hadn’t even seen them before. Her blue eyes were glistening in the candle light in the kitchen. Before anyone could do anything, Grace burst into tears at the table.

Everyone was silent as the woman wept for the first time in what seemed like years. Trinity realized that every raw emotion that her mother had ever masked behind a calm face was now breaking free as she wept. Trinity rose from her seat and wrapped her arm around her mother’s shoulders, telling her that she was there and wasn’t going anywhere. Oliver did the same from the other side. Amelia sat opposite of them, tears brimming in her eyes.

“Trinity…what have I done to you?!” Her mother wailed her head buried in her hands as she sobbed. What? Trinity was confused. What she did to her? She sent a puzzled look over to Oliver, who seemed to know as much as she did.

“What have you done mom?” Trinity questioned, unsure of what else to reply with. Grace Diggory sat up abruptly, making the other three in the room start. She turned to Trinity, placing her hands on her shoulders tightly.

“I let him hurt you!! Can you not remember child?!” Her mom yelled, shaking Trinity’s shoulders. Trinity was scared and even more confused by her mother’s statement. She let him hurt her? Trinity saw fire within her mother’s eyes, fire that had been smoldered for many years now and was being lit once again. As she stared into the eyes of Grace Diggory, she realized that her mother had been holding something back from her, some vital piece of information that was crucial to her.

Then it all clicked… it was the dream, or from what Trinity realized before, a botched memory.

“Mom,” Trinity began but paused as she waited for her mother to calm down, watching the ferocity leave the woman’s eyes, “I think I remember…though I’m not a hundred percent sure whether I’m right or not... Did this happen in the kitchen?” She knew right away that she was correct when her mother’s blue eyes widened once more. Silently, Grace Diggory nodded. Trinity inwardly smirked for being right but that was the last thing on her mind at the moment.

The room was silent once more as the information was processed. Trinity’s dream was in fact a memory, not a dream. It had been too realistic for it to be a dream, like she had reasoned with herself before. Now she wanted to know who had hurt her. She suspected her father since he had grabbed her by the hood of her jacket before the dream, or memory, had ended. There was the possibility of Sirius Black but he had just escaped from Azkaban; no fugitive would go looking for trouble. Besides, he didn’t even know her to hurt her in anyway.

“How much do you remember Trinity?” Grace Diggory’s strong voice interrupted Trinity’s thoughts as she stared up at her daughter. Trinity sighed, sat down in her seat once more, and took her mother’s hand in hers.

“I have to admit, it seemed a bit foggy but I do remember seeing Sirius Black and you talking…about Peter Pettigrew being the one to betray the Potters and framed it on him. Then I remember Father coming home, saying something like “I thought you said he wasn’t coming back”. Then it ended there with him jerking on the hood of my jacket.” Trinity explained calmly, though a rush of unexplained anger coursed through her body. Suddenly, her head began to throb, much like the headache she had experienced back at Hogwarts. Before she knew it, she was falling out of her chair and onto the floor of the kitchen.

Oliver and Amelia shot up from their chairs, rushing to her as she lay on the tiled floor of the kitchen, eyelids drooping every now and again. Grace watched with tear-filled eyes as Amelia went to the sink to wet a cloth to place over her forehead. Trinity’s vision kept swirling in and out as she was fighting to stay conscious. This was worse than the last time when she had only fallen. Thankfully Neville had been there to escort her to the hospital wing. It was there that she had stung Madam Pomfrey.

Suddenly she sprang up, very conscious, gasping for air. She scanned the room to see Amelia dabbing a cloth to her head while elevating her feet with a stool. Oliver was by the window, examining his hand while cursing expletives. He raised his wand to it and muttered a spell under his breath, sighing in relief when he could move his finger around.

“That was so weird. One second I’m touching her forehead, the next I’m being stung. Are you okay Trinity?” He knelt down next to Amelia, making sure his younger sister was okay. Trinity nodded.

“I feel better…This happened at Hogwarts actually. I stung the nurse there and the Headmaster actually came to see me, telling me that I could’ve really hurt myself if it wasn’t for my friend Neville Longbottom.” Trinity replied, grabbing Oliver’s hand as he offered it to pull her off the kitchen floor.

She could tell that Oliver wanted to ask about Neville but decided against it as he sat back down at the table, taking a sip of his tea. Amelia took cautious glances toward her niece to make sure she was alright though Trinity had assured her that she was fine. Meanwhile, Grace stared down at the table, tears in her eyes. Something was wrong, Trinity realized but she didn’t want to fully address it. Something else had happened in the memory that her mother wasn’t revealing to her yet.

Trinity wanted to question her mother but she knew her mother would tell her in her own time.
♠ ♠ ♠
If anyone read my recent blog post, I decided to post this chapter now so I didn't have to later. I'll try to post the next one when I have it completed. Thanks for being patient with me.

And thanks to those who have commented in the past. I find it awesome that you guys actually like something that I have written.