Status: Updated when I can find time to. I hope you understand, whoever reads this story.

Trade Mistakes

The Malfoy Problem

The next few days was spent getting back into the habit of going to classes and finishing homework. Trinity had found that she could drop the class she had with Burbage since it wasn't a required class and lessened her schedule a bit, meaning she had more time to study for other classes. That was what led her to be in the Great Hall after lunch, reading Hogwarts: A History when she felt someone staring at her.

Glancing up from her book, Trinity noticed that amongst the students that were in the room Malfoy was sitting at the Slytherin table, staring at her. She wanted to ignore him but something inside her, something that she couldn't place, made Trinity keep eye contact.

He looked worse than he did before winter break and he didn't leave with the rest of them. She was curious; what was going on that made him this way? She, for a second, evaluated Harry’s theory about him being a Death Eater and realized that maybe he was right. Being an undercover Death Eater would put a lot of stress onto someone…but why was he undercover then? Was he recruiting people? Or was he on a different sort of mission?

Trinity realized that she had been staring for a few minutes and glanced down at her book again. As she was reading, however, the words on the page began to rearrange themselves to form a message. Her jaw dropped when she read what it said,

Meet me at the Room of Requirement tonight. I have something to tell you. Malfoy

Her head shot up to where Malfoy had been sitting before but she found that he was gone. Glancing back down at the book, the message had disappeared as well. She slammed the book shut and took deep breaths, calming herself down. Her heart was hammering in her ears and she could feel its heavy beats in her chest.

“Trinity, isn't your Potions class is in ten minutes...Trinity?” Neville had appeared beside her, on his way to lunch possibly, with Luna with him. They had noticed their friend sitting at the Gryffindor table, something that was unusual for Trinity who liked to be in class ten-twenty minutes before it started.

“Oh is it? I lost track of time.” Trinity practically threw the book the message had appeared in into her bag and got up quickly. She stumbled slightly as she realized how close Neville and Luna were standing, like a couple. Trinity brushed past them without another word, fearing that her heart may break right then and there if she stayed any longer.

~#~

Trinity made it to Advanced Potions with three minutes to spare, claiming a spot next to Hermione since Ron was with Harry. Hermione had almost jumped out of her skin when Trinity slammed her backpack on the table. Trinity grinned sheepishly as everyone already there stared at her in distaste, especially Malfoy, that Pansy girl, and the darker skinned boy whose name she had forgotten.

Trinity would have minded but she was distracted by the possibility of Neville and Luna being…together. There was a strange feeling in her chest as she thought of the pair holding hands and holding each other.

When Slughorn entered the class, all eyes turned away from her and to either him or their school books. Hermione nudged Trinity’s elbow, making her glance over to her table partner. Hermione motioned to a folded piece of parchment on the table in front of her. While Slughorn droned on about the potion they were supposed to brew that class, Trinity unfolded the parchment.

What’s wrong? You were later than usual to class and not to mention louder. Something must’ve happened.

They were right when they said that Hermione Granger was the wisest witch of her age.

Nothing…I just lost track of time earlier while reading.

When they were finally off to brew their potions, Trinity couldn't focus on the bubbling concoction in the cauldron before her. Her mind decided to push the Neville and Luna problem, switching over to the Malfoy problem when she had brushed past him to get some ingredients.

It may have been in her head but she thought that Malfoy had wanted to tell her something but decided against it within the same second. Now she was wondering why he wanted to see her at the Room of Requirement. Trinity did a good job of not glancing over his way throughout the lesson despite worrying over his intentions.

Hermione nudged her arm with her arm halfway through the lesson, waking Trinity from her stupor, and pointed to her now smoking cauldron. Trinity was quickly pushed back from someone who had come from her right, knocking her off of her stool. Hermione quickly cleared the potion before Slughorn was even aware that there was even a commotion. When Trinity was able to understand what had happened, she found that Malfoy had seen the disaster she was going to cause and helped her.

But why?

“That’s a once off Diggory…I didn't want to lose another family member.” Malfoy mumbled to her before getting up and returning to his friends. Hermione was staring at Trinity as well as Ron and Harry. Trinity smiled slightly to them, letting them know she was okay.

However, she was not okay…did Malfoy just tell her they were related?

~#~

“Nice work Harry!” Slughorn praised for what seemed to be hundredth time that class. That didn't help Hermione’s pride as she glared at Harry from across the table. Harry returned her glare with a sheepish grin.

“You’re going to have to turn that book in! You’re cheating with it!” Hermione chastised Harry as the class was dismissed moments before. She was still sour about Harry beating her with the perfect potion. Apparently, she was used to being the one on top.

“I will Hermione!” Harry snapped, getting frustrated with all of her scolding.

Trinity zoned them out after a while and focused on the blond boy walking a few feet in front of them. For once he seemed to be alone and free of the goons that followed him around like body guards. Alone, Malfoy didn't have Crabbe or Goyle to make him look tiny. Trinity realized that he was actually taller than she had first thought.

She thought of what he said in their class and it scared her. If they were related, that meant the life she had now was about to coming crashing down around her. With everything else that was going on lately, this was something else to worry about.

“Trinity, are you coming to the Common Room?” Hermione questioned, pausing to glance back at the blond girl.

Trinity realized that she was about to go up to the next floor of the castle and immediately caught up to Hermione. Harry was already with Ron—who Hermione still wasn't talking to—and Ginny. They seemed to be talking Quidditch and Trinity remembered that the next game would be coming up soon. She had forgotten all about Quidditch after this past holiday break. Practices hadn't started back up yet but she was sure they would very soon. If Gryffindor wanted a chance at the Quidditch House Cup, they would have to.

“I wish Katie could come back.” Trinity caught Ginny saying, sullen expression on her pale face. Harry and Ron nodded collectively, remembering where she currently was, “Dean is an alright Chaser but he’s hard to communicate with sometimes on the pitch.”

“I know but he’s all we got at the moment.” Harry reminded her with a frown, probably thinking about where Katie was at the moment. His conviction about Malfoy being a Death Eater had only increased over the holiday break it seemed.

The four of them entered the Gryffindor Common Room with Hermione dismissing herself to the girl’s dormitory at the sight of Lavender rushing over to Ron. Trinity, Ginny and Harry all shared a collective sigh that Ron did not miss for he glanced over in their direction with a quirked brow.

“Hey where’s Neville? I saw him earlier with Luna before Potions but that was it.” Trinity asked Ginny, causing the red haired girl to squirm uncomfortably.

“He’s in the greenhouse…studying with Luna.” Was all Ginny had to say and Trinity understood why Ginny was so uncomfortable. It was like telling your mother that you received terrible scores for the term.

This was like a punch to the gut for Trinity. She began to dread not saying anything to Neville about her feelings. She missed her chance and now he had Luna. Trinity realized that she was still standing in the Common Room and tried to keep a neutral, indifferent tone as she replied.

“That’s nice. Neville’s really good at Herbology, as you probably know already.” Ginny stared at her friend for a moment, probably trying to figure out whether Trinity was putting up a front or not.

Trinity stepped around her friend to sit with the rest of the group, silently hoping that Neville and Luna were just studying.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi there! I'm sorry this took so damn long. I've been working and figuring out things financially and it's hindered my writing ability. I actually had this written months ago, around the last time I posted to be honest, but I wasn't ready to post it. I still don't think it's ready but I needed to update for peace of mind.

I also didn't realize I have 16 chapters already. It feels like the story is moving at a snail's pace but after the next two chapters, it will definitely speed up a bit more...I hope at least. :/