A diesase won't stop Melinda

Chapter 5: They Came back and They fought.

Melinda sat at the desk in her room writing in her journal. Its been a month now that she has lived with Mattew. Nicole never came back and Mattew was still getting over her. Only for the fact that she and him had been together since they where in high school and she left cause of Melinda so of course Melinda blamed her self for it.

“Dear Journal March 5,

Its been a month now, and I still can't help but blame myself for their break up. Dad told me it wasn't my fault, but I still feel deep inside me that it is. If he would have spent more time with her then me none of this would have happen. Maybe if I could just talk to Nicole and some how work it out with her. I know dad still loves her. Sigh. Well anyways Leo came over yesterday with a friend of his. Greg I think his name was. He was a jerk and Leo had to make him leave. He felt bad that he ever brought Greg over. He said he told Greg not to be an idiotic jerk but I guess Greg didn't want to listen and thought it would be funny to make fun of the girl who can't go outside. I found out from my last test its now less then 10 minutes out side. Just standing there its five minutes. Leo about killed me when he heard that I was passed out cause I tired the test out but then he understood that now it was my dream to go outside and be normal just like him. Spend days in the sun and not here in this room. Its like being in a prison all over again. Not being able to feel the sun on my skin. If I could spend a day out there then maybe I could die and be happy. Funny how I said that so many years ago when I wanted to see the lions. I still remember that day. I was so little, Leo was too. Funny how much I have changed. Well it comes with gowning up doesn't it. I hear dad calling my name like I'm in trouble, gotta go see what I did this time.

-M”

Melinda slid her journal under a few folders and pushed her chair back and stretched her legs before grabbing her water and opening her door and she just stood there before slamming the door shut and locking it.
“Melinda!” Mattew yelled and came pounding on her door.
“I'm not coming out!” She yelled as tears fell from her face.
“Melinda please.” Mattew begged as Melinda shook her head violently.
Her real parents where out in the living room. Crystal, Dante, Emma, and Nick all waiting for her. All grown up. Melinda couldn't bring her self out there. That was when she heard a soft knock on the door.
“Melinda. Please come out we want to see you.” It was her mother soft voice and Melinda broke down holding her knees. “Go away, You gave me up. I want nothing to do with you!” she yelled as her mother started talking to her and she just ignored her. “Melinda baby please,” It was Mattew this time and she just held her knees and rocked back and forth. She didn't want to see them. Not now not ever. They gave her up and she gave them up. She had forgot about them until now. Outside her door everything was silent she stood up and opened her door and peaked out and saw Mattew leading them into the kitchen then he turned and walked over her.
She went to close the door but he ran the small distance and stopped it from closing and came in as she walked over to her bed. He closed the door and looked at her. “Melinda. Please.” he said as Melinda pulled the blankets over her head. “Dad they gave me up why now?” She asked looking at him from the blanket as he moved over and sat next to her. “Maybe to explain why they did it?” He said as he rubbed her side. “I don't care anymore...” Melinda said as she sat up and curled into Mattew once pulled her into his arms. “Please do this for me. They made a long trip here and they just wanna talk.”
Melinda looked up at him and sighed greatly she wasn't looking forward to this. “Fine, but you owe me.” She said as she stood up and changed into comfortable PJ's. Cotton shorts and a tank top with a chibi lion on it. Mattew held the door open and she walked out and he placed a arm around her waist and they just walked down the hall. It was Crystal who walked up to them first with tear filled eyes an hugged her. “Hey Melinda.” She said. Melinda was taller then her now. “Hello Crystal.” She said as Crystal back away and looked at her. “Why are you here?” Melinda as as Mattew taped her back a bit hard.
“To see you and how you've grown.”
“You gave me up.” Yes she cared less about but it still got to her.
“We thought it was better for you.”
“Made me feel unwanted.” She said crossing her arms and looking at her.
“Melinda its not your mother's fault.” Dante said as he walked over.
“And she's not my mother and your not my father. So whats the point of this trip?” She asked as Mattew looked at her but knew she had to get the truth, “Was it to rub it in my face that you can go out and be in the sun with out worrying about that you might pass out?”
“Melinda that's kinda harsh against them. They were only doing what they thought was best for you.” Emma said as she came over and hugged her mother.
“You have what I have then be given up by your own family.” Melinda said pulling her hair up into a pony tail.
“Melinda, we just wanted to come by and see how your doing and catch up on the years.”
“Ok well here it is. I've been in the hospital till a month ago when Mattew finally was able to get me a room from myself that will keep me cool. Now your turn.” Melinda said as she crossed her arms and waited. “Oh wait let me guess, You've explored the world. Been outside camped, been swimming on a hot summer day, went on a walk, Hmm what else.” She said as they all hung their head. “Ok so we caught up now what?” She asked.
They staid silent for awhile and Melinda looked at Mattew. She went to turn around but Mattew stopped her and turned her around. She looked at her “family” and waited. “Melinda do you understand how sorry we are for that?” Crystal asked as she looked at him. “Do you understand how much pain I was in knowing I wasn't wanted by the people who were supposed to love you most?” She said back as Crystal straighten up and looked at her. “You were wanted Melinda.” Crystal said as Melinda shook her head . “If I was wanted you wouldn't have given me up.” She wanted them to see what pain they put her through. “Dad can I please go back to my room?” She asked looking at him almost in tears. Mattew kissed her forehead and let her go.
Melinda ran back to her room and slammed the door and broke down. She held her knees close to her chest and took a deep breath as she tried to stop the crying. She stood up and walked over to her bed and crawled under the blankets and cried herself to sleep. Mattew talked with her parents about what they were doing and what were their plans in the future. If they where gonna try and again with Melinda once she has cooled off. Mattew told them about how Melinda was get healthier in ways and how her life has changed. Small little things such as her crush with Leo. They laughed and soon they meet Leo their self as he showed up shocked that her real parents where there.
“She's in her room.” Mattew said as he poured the family another drink of wine as Leo lightly bowed and left them.
“Nice meeting you.” he said as he knocked on Melinda's door and hear soft snores. Leo laughed as he opened her door and walked over to her bed. He watched her for a moment. “Such a angel when she sleeps,” He said as he sat on the foot of her bed and just watched her for a few minutes before lightly shaking her. “Wake up sleepy head.” He said as she sat up and rubbed her eyes. “Are they gone?” She asked with a yawn and he shook his head no. “They are talking with your dad although its just the two adults and your dad.” He said as Melinda got out off of her bed and walked over to her desk. “I hope they never come back.” She said as he opened her fridge that Mattew made her keep for cold water and pulled out two.
“That's not nice Melinda.” Leo said in a joking manner and Melinda just looked at him. “Oh your a funny one.” She said tossing him a water as she opened her water and took a sip. “I know I try to be.” He laughed as she just eyed him before standing up and tacking him to her bed and hugged him. “Well being funny and then Leo are two different people.” She said resting her head on his chest and sighing. “Well I like being the Leo you love.” He said and kissed her forehead. “Well you'll always will be.” She said with a light giggle. They rested there and talked about everything and anything but it wasn't long before Melinda went still and quite.
Leo shacked her lightly and got no response. “Mattew!” He yelled as he picked up the limp Melinda and carried her out meeting Mattew in the hallway. “I think she over heated.” He said as Mattew took Melinda and carried her back into the room and Leo went and turned the air conditioner down to make to room even colder. Crystal and Dante moved to her bed room door and Mattew went to work to get Melinda responding. Crystal started crying and hide into her husband as they watched Mattew go to work and order Leo around. They put ice packs around her and stripped her of her clothes to where she was only wearing her bra and undies.
Mattew checked her vitals and her body temperature. Everything was good except her not responding. “Could it just be her body trying to cool her off before she responds?” Leo asked as he paced her room and Mattew was taking her heart beat from her wrist while he was on one knee. “It could be that it could be something total different. Now we just have to make sure her body temperature stays cool and just watch her. Making sure she is still breathing and just wait it out.” Mattew said marking on his clip board and standing up taking a deep breath. “Is that all you can do what something like this happens to her?” Dante asked as Mattew checked the air temperature and nodded.
“Yes cause her body wants to cool down and it can't it will send her in to a I guess kinda like a coma but it really isn't.” He said as he looked at Melinda then at Leo who was sitting next to her. “Can't you just make her cooler then bam she is ok?” It was Crystal who spoke and looked over at Melinda. “Well I would love that but its the body that is resting and when Melinda is ready she come back. Leo take a few of the ice packs away. Don't wanna get her to cold.” Leo nodded and took away an few and placed them in the fridge.
It had been five hours with out a response and her real parents staid as they all sat in the living room looking down the hall waiting for anything that happened in Melinda's room. Mattew was trying to figure out how she had the random over heating. “Leo y'all where just laying there weren't you guys?” He asked as Leo nodded coming out with waters for her parents. “Thank,” Crystal mumbled.
“What I think it is, Is that she it trying to test it off in her own room how long she can go without the air.”
“Could she be that stupid?” Leo asked then looked at Mattew.
“Well its Melinda where talking about.” Mattew said.
“What if she didn't mean to turn it down and she did, Like she thought it was to cold and turned it down with out knowing.” Dante said.
Mattew shook his head he hadn't even thought of that he jotted that down and looked down the hall. He stood up and walked back to her room and sat down next to her. Something told him to just start talking to her. So he did and he just talked. He told her about what her real parents where up to and that he, as her father, loved her and wanted her to wake up soon. “You know Melinda, We're all scared for you, Please baby girl pull through your a tough little lion.” He said as Mattew took her hand and he felt her squeeze it. “You know dad, I love you,” she said under her breath as she looked over at him weakly. He sat up and smiled at her. “You really gave us a scare kid.”
“Sorry dad,” Melinda said as she tried to sit up but he gently pushed her back down. “Do you know what cause this Melinda?” He asked as he grabbed his pad of paper and shut the door. “Well I remember my real parents coming over and I was getting upset over that then I guess I turned the air down. I guess getting heated up from them being over and the fights then turning down the air and laying on Leo did it..” Way to ruin a perfect cuddle, she thought as she sat up and Mattew didn't push her down this time. She looked at her self and shielded his eyes. “I'm naked!” she said as she moved around him so his back was to her. “Your not naked your in your bra and under ware.” He said as she changed into cotton pj shorts and another tank top.
“Are they still here?” She asked meaning her real parents as he stood up and walked to her door lightly opening it. She hugged the wall and looked over her shoulder and soon looked through the crack to see them waiting there with Leo. “You know Melinda that they are doing this for you.” Mattew said as Melinda move back towards her desk and just sat there. “Well they should know I don't care,” Melinda said looking up at him with a smile. “Want me to send Leo in?” Mattew asked moving towards the bed room door and opening it. “Yes please.” Mattew walked out.
“Leo your wanted by little lion in her den.” He said as Leo shook his head with a smile and stood up waving to her parents and leaving them with Mattew as he walked down the hall and towards Melinda's room.
“Melinda?”
“Come in laying in bed again.” Melinda said shoving her journal under her pillow she had started to write in it.
“Everything ok in here?” Leo asked moving in.
“Yea, I just want them to leave so I can feel comfortable in my own home.” She said as she sat up on the bed to make room for Leo.
“They are only doing what they think is right.”
“Well they are wrong and should leave I don't want anything to do with them.” Melinda brought her knees to her chest and rested her head on top.
“That is kinda harsh Melinda,”Leo said taking the seat next to her.
“Its kinda harsh of them to just leave me two weeks after Christmas so long ago with out a word or reason why.”
“They said it was for the better,” Leo looked at her, “So you didn't have to worry about what was going on with them.”
“Well they failed, they were my family,Leo, I wanted to be with them, once they left me it took years to get over it, You saw that. I had to forget them and move on its the reason I never wanted them I only wanted you and Mattew.” Melinda said scooting closer to him.
“But now they are back and want to have that family.” When Leo talked to the parents they started talking about some how talking Melinda back and being a family they never were able to be. Leo just staid silent , He knew Mattew wouldn't allow it and he wouldn't but they looked determined to get Melinda back.
“What do you mean they want to have that family? I'm not leaving this house with them I won't I refuse to!” Melinda said quickly getting up and heading to the door.
“Melinda don't.” Leo said grabbing her as her hand rested on the door knob.
“Leo let me go, they'll get a piece of my mind. I'm not leaving you or Mattew.” Melinda said trying to get out of Leo's grip he had on her.
“No, Crystal won't be able to handle it of you start yelling at her.”
“Then Dante will.” Melinda said opening the door and yanked her self out of his grip and down the hall Leo came after her. “You think you can take me away from the on-” Her words cut off as Leo's hand come over her mouth.
“Melinda lets go back. OW!” He yelled shaking his hand and letting her go. Melinda had bitten him to get him off her.
“You want to take me away from the only family I know?” Melinda asked walking right up to Dante and Crystal.
“We want to have that family you never got.” Crystal whispered.
“Well I don't want your family I want the one I have right here, Mattew as my father. He is all the family I need along with Leo. You two are nothing to me but two people who gave up their child because she isn't like the other two.” Melinda said holding strong but the tears told different. She reached her hand up and wiped them away quickly.
“Melinda it wasn't intended to be that way,” Crystal said.
“Well it was and your not needed here any more you can leave my house now.” Melinda said taking a step back and pointing to the door.
“We are leaving till we figure this out with Mattew,” Dante said looking at Mattew. Melinda did the same and shook her head no.
“Don't do this dad, I don't want them I want you. What am I going to do there? Sit there in misery? I rather be here with you and Leo.” Melinda said backing away from Mattew.
“I know and I'm trying baby girl.” Mattew said as Melinda bumped into Leo, who was behind her, he wrapped his hand around her waist and she instantly hid her face in his chest.
“I'm not leaving you, Leo I can't and I won't, they won't make me.” She cried as he rubbed her back and looked at Mattew and glared at Dante and Crystal. “I hope your happy with this.” He said as he began to move and head towards Melinda's room.
“We'll be happier once she is home with us.” Crystal said.
“She isn't going home with you, She is staying here with us.” Mattew said as he stood up.
“Mattew she is ours.”
“No Dante she is mine you gave me the papers, we went to court and then you left once she was mine.” Mattew said as Dante and Crystal stood up.
“We'll see Mattew, She needs a real family.”
“And she has one right here, we love her more then you ever will.” Mattew said opening the door and literary pushing them out the door.
“You won't get my baby girl.” Mattew said to himself and moved to the kitchen.