Defender of Lorien

The Cave Troll

With a loud grunt, Gimli climbed on top of Balin’s tomb, “Let them come,” Gimli growled, “There is one dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath.” Anya stood on Aragorn’s right as he wielded his bow with Legolas to his left, and Boromir stood to Legolas’s left, twirling his sword in his right hand and held his shield in his left. The hobbits stood nervously behind Anya, their blades at the ready, with Gandalf beside them wielding Glamdring, his sword also glowing a cold blue.

Anya twirled her swords in good measure, for this was the first time in a long while that she would be using both blades at once, and this sent a spark of excitement through her limbs as they truly felt whole once again. Soon a small hole was made in the door, large enough for their enemies to look in and sneer, and also large enough for Legolas and Aragorn to shoot arrows through and kill the repulsive creatures.

A cry was heard from the other side as Legolas and Aragon let loose a few rounds, Anya itching for the chance to fight once more. Her senses became more keen as her battle instincts kicked in. Finally, after what felt an eternity in her impatience, the door burst open as a horde of orcs came rushing into the room. Anya and Boromir rushed forward with their own war cries, meeting their enemies head on, as to give Legolas and Aragorn time to switch weapons or to find a better position to shoot the orcs.

Anya’s blade made contact with her first opponent, a metallic clang resonating from their weapons. Shoving her opponent back, Anya brought her other blade down on its head, cracking open the skull and splitting it in two with one strike. With a swipe, she sliced another’s head off and in the same movement, blocked another’s sword from hitting her and stabbed her blade through it throat, a gurgling noise coming from its mouth as black blood trickled down its chin.

She heard the war cries of Gandalf and the hobbits as they too joined the fight, but she kept her eyes on the orcs before her, killing them with every blow of her swords. An arrow whizzed by Anya’s head, as Legolas killed an orc next to her which had been about to attach her with a mace. Raising her left sword, Anya parried the attack of an orc wielding an axe, and thrust her blade up through its gut and out its back just below the neck.

Then suddenly, there was the sound of a great commotion as orcs were pushed aside. Looking up from her battle, Anya saw a great beast push its way through the door way, a cave troll. Held aloft in its right hand was an enormous mace, and around its neck was a collar that had a chain dangling from it. Fighting for the moment seemed to stop as everyone looked upon the enormous creature, fear welling up in their hearts. The short silence was broken when an arrow buried itself into the creatures right should, the feathers a bright yellow, telling Anya that the arrow had come from her cousin.

The troll gave a terrifying bellow as it looked upon the arrow in its shoulder, enraged from the pain. Rolling to her right, Anya was just able to avoid being struck by the cave troll’s mace, as it swung for Sam who stood just behind her. As she watched with horror, Anya was pleased to see Sam evade the attack and roll through the creature’s legs. Jumping back up, Anya skewered the orc which held the chain attacked to the cave troll’s collar, as Aragorn and Boromir ran up and grabbed hold of it. With a mighty heave, the men pulled the troll away from Sam as it was about to crush Sam under one of its massive feet.

The troll swung for the men, only missing Gimli who was still standing atop Balin’s tomb, causing Aragorn to release his hold on the chain and roll aside, and causing Anya to roll as well, but in the process she lost one of her swords as it got caught in a loop of the chain. But alas, Boromir had wrapped the chain around his hand and wasn’t able to relinquish it in time, as the troll grabbed hold of its chain and through Boromir across the room and into a wall. Anya’s heart leapt to her throat in panic as she ran to Boromir, who was shaking his head after falling with a thud to the floor.

An orc stood over him , it sword raised ready for the kill. A look of shock and fear materialized on Boromir’s face as he knew that he wouldn’t be able to protect himself. Reaching down to her right hip, Anya grabbed out one of her daggers and through it at the orc, catching it straight between the eyes. Flipping over the orc she had just killed, Anya grabbed out her dagger from its skull, then landed back on her feet in front of Boromir, a hand extended in an offer to help him to his feet.

“Young one,” Anya said helping Boromir to his feet and handing him his dropped shield. Boromir gave her a smile of thanks before they turned back to the fight. Fighting off some nearby orcs, Anya heard the sound of stone being crushed, and looked up to see a cloud of smoke where Balin’s tomb was, now half of it crushed to dust. Anya could hear Gimli grunting off on the other side of the tomb, so she knew that he was still alive, so she went back to work, killing as many orcs that were stupid enough to come within arm’s length of her.

Fighting, Anya made her way back to where she believed she’d lost her sword, but looking around the floor, she saw no sign of it. A lump formed in her throat at the thought of losing her sword in these accursed mines, swords she had fought with for the past thousand years. And with that thought, Anya swiped at another orc, catching it straight in the mouth with her dagger before beheading it with her sword.

An orc went flying by her as the cave troll swung wildly, attempting to hit Gimli, and as Anya watched, she saw a faint flash of green metal as the troll’s chain swung by her. Her sword was still stuck in the troll’s chain. With hope of getting back her sword, Anya ran towards the troll, slitting the throats of nearby orcs along the way.

The twang of Legolas’s bow was heard as he shot the troll with a round of arrows, and the troll wondered over to the wall where he was fighting off some orcs with his fighting knifes. The troll swung it chain, attempting to hit Legolas with it, but only managed to wrap it around a pillar, her sword just right there within Legolas’s grasp.

“Legolas,” Anya called up to him, “My sword!” He looked over at her as he placed his foot upon the creature’s chain. Then he reached down, grabbed her sword, and through it too her. After this, he ran across the chain and onto the troll itself, shooting an arrow into its head. Before the troll could get hold of him, Legolas lightly jumped to the ground and out of harm’s way. After a bit, there was the sound of a pan whacking orcs in the skulls. Looking around, Anya had to stifle a laugh as she watched Sam fighting off orcs with his skillet.

Once again wielding her two short swords, Anya went back into battle with the orcs, a spring in her step as she was certain they were going to win this fight. Then suddenly, Anya hear the sound of stone once again being crushed, and off to her right she heard Aragorn shout for Frodo. Foolishly, Anya took her eyes off her opponent, and this gave it the opening to wound her. A burning pain flared up on her right waist, as the orc sliced his blade through her flesh.

Sweeping around Anya killed her opponent then through herself back against the wall, her hand clutching at her wound. Warm blood trickled down her side, covering her hand and sword. But Anya knew that she couldn’t allow this wound to keep her from fighting, as she heard the rest of the fellowship all scream Frodo’s name. Looking up from her wound, Anya was able to catch a glimpse of Frodo as he felt to the floor, a large spear protruding from his left side.

“NO!!” Anya yelled out as she went back into battle. Her mind switching to “kill-any-creature-that-stands-in-your-way” mode. Running up to the troll, Anya sliced at its legs as Gimli and Gandalf helped her. Reaching up, Anya sliced the hand that help Merry and caught the hobbit as he fell, causing her to fall backwards. As Anya crawled back to her feet, the cut on her side searing with pain, Legolas took aim and fired one final arrow, killing the cave troll.