Defender of Lorien

Being Lead Home

As they walked under the shade of the trees, Anya took the lead. When they drew near to a close clustered stand of trees, Anya turned and signaled for the fellowship to stop.

“Wait here,” she instructed, “I will be back soon.” And with that, she slipped into the cluster of trees, her feet barely making a sounds as she walked over the grass. With her keen ears, Anya could hear Gimli warning the hobbits to stay near him, as he believed a powerful sorceress lived in these woods. Anya smiled to herself and pushed on, as she made her way to her assigned post near the outskirts of Lorien, where she knew she would find a friend to help guide the fellowship to the heart of the forest, where Lothlorien elves lived.

As she climbed up a tree, her side flared with pain so intense, Anya crouched low to the ground, clutching her side, warm tears flowing from her eyes. After the pain had subsided, Anya attempted to once more climb the tree, but only ended up gasping on the forest floor once more.

With a groan, Anya got back to her feet and was about to call up to whom-so-ever might be guarding her post, when a familiar voice came trailing over to her from the direction of where she had left the rest of the fellowship. Anya ran back to her friends and found them surrounded by at least ten of her kinsmen, and they were led by her father.

“The dwarf breaths so loud we could have shot him in the dark,” her father said as he eyed the dwarf.

“Ada,” Anya called as she walked into the clearing.

“Anya,” Haldir said with a start, “I did not hear you coming.”

“I went to my post looking for aid,” Anya explained, “I have guided this group here. They are my friends and we seek refuge, for we are all weary and lost.”

“Are you sick?” Haldir asked her as he approached her, “You look pale.”

“I was wounded on our journey,” Anya said.

“Bravain,” Haldir called, “Take Anya home and see to it her wound is tended to.” Bravain lowered his bow from Gimli and stepped over towards Anya.

“What of my friends?” Anya asked her father.

“I will see to them,” he stated as he looked over the fellowship. Bravain grabbed hold of Anya’s arm, trying to turn her and lead her through the forest, but Anya stayed her ground.

“No, that is not good enough,” Anya said, “I go where they go.” Then she walked over to the fellowship, and stood next to Legolas, who had his bow drawn and pointed nervously at an elf before him.

“Caladhir, lower your bow,” Anya instructed to her friend. Caladhir looked over his shoulder at Haldir, and when Haldir nodded his head in approval, he lowered his bow, as did all the others.

“Follow me,” Haldir said with a sigh. And the fellowship was lead deeper into the woods.

As they neared a river bank, Bravain stepped close and whistled out like a robin. Another of Anya’s kin stepped out of the foliage from across the stream. Bravain uncoiled a very fine Elvin rope from his waist and skillfully throw one end across to Nifalath.

“Anya, you cross first so the others may know how to go,” Haldir instructed her. Obediently, she jumped lightly onto the thin rope and ran over to the other side, never once losing her balance or grace.

Nifalath was waiting for her as she jumped lightly back onto the grass covered bank, his arms open in a welcoming hug, “Friend, you have been away for so long, what kept you?”

“I will tell you all once we are done here I promise,” Anya smiled. “But for now I believe we should throw over another rope so the non-elvish may cross, they do not have our skill of grace.” They both laughed as they unwound another rope and tossed one end over to Bravain. Legolas was the first of the others to cross, scoffing at the second rope as he walked across the first rope. Boromir followed after, then came the hobbits, Gimli, and finally Aragorn. Her father crossed over last, leaving Caladir and a one other on the opposing bank of the river.

“This is as far as you go into these woods with your sight,” Haldir said as Bravain and Nifalath began tearing strips of cloth from two thick cloaks.

Legolas about had a fit, “But I am your kin! I have always dreamed the day of seeing the beauty of all Lorien. Please cousin convince them otherwise.”

“I am sorry Legolas,” Anya shrugged. “It is the way of things here. You are lucky enough that I was with you and could convince my father to allow you this far. It is not my place to change rules any further than I already have.” Legolas pouted at her will Bravain covered his eyes with the thick material.

“If it makes you feel better I’ll also have them cover my eyes,” Anya teased nudging Legolas.

“But you already know what Lorien looks like, it is your home after all,” he replied with a sigh. Gimli grumbled a bit about having no eye sight, but allowed Haldir to cover his eyes none the less. From there on, the elves of Lorien, Anya’s kin, led the fellowship far into the night. Anya felt her strength slowly declining as the night wore on. Eventually her father called them to a halt, and Anya knew that they were almost to the center of Lorien, Lothlorien itself. She was finally home.