Defender of Lorien

The Lady of Light

Anya began to feel faint as they came to a stop, only a march away from the elven city of Lothlorien. She knew that her father would have to question the fellowship before allowing them any further. So thankful of the break, Anya sat against a tree, leaning her head against it and closing her eyes. She shivered as she sat there, and beads of sweat rolled down her face. Her side burned with an undying pain, causing Anya great pain just to breath.

“Anya,” she heard Bravain said in their native tongue as he walked up to her, “Why do you not allow me to take you home? You are sick.”

Anya smiled slightly, “Because, I have traveled with this group for the past couple months. I wish not to be separated from them after all we have been through together. My wound can wait until my father always us to pass.”

“No, if I pull the wrappings away the bleeding will begin again, then I will have no choice but to allow you to take me to Orylonn,” Anya said opening her eyes and giving him a weak smile. Bravain’s brow furrowed before shaking his head and walking off. She knew that he would try anything to get her safely to his twin sister. Closing her eyes once again, Anya allowed herself to slip off into a calm meditative state. This state was the way most elves chose to rest their bodies, for they didn’t feel the need to sleep like men, hobbits, or dwarves.

Someone sitting down with a heavy sigh brought her out of her meditation. Boromir was leaning against the large tree just to her left, his eyes now unbound.

“You’re father seems like a good ma- I mean elf,” Boromir said, quickly correcting himself from calling him a man.

“He is,” Anya said quietly, not feeling the energy to converse loudly. “He is the one who trained me my whole life. Well, almost my whole life. It’s complicated.”

“I’d be interested in hearing your story one of these day,” Boromir said softly back to her.

“You may yet young one,” Anya laugh lightly.

“Anyanesta, you may want to be here as I speak with your…… company,” Haldir called over to her. Boromir rose to his feet and offered Anya a hand. After excepting his offer, Boromir pulled her to her feet. He had a funny look on his face when she was standing and she gave him a questioning look.

“Us young folk help our elders when they’re too old to stand on their own,” he teased her. Anya just rolled her eyes before walking over to the others, taking her place next to her father, and close to Legolas. Her father greeted Legolas and Aragorn formally in elvish.

“So much for the legendary curtousy of the elves,” Gimli griped, “speak words we can all understand.”

“We have not had dealings with the dwarves since the dark day,” he answered back darkly.

“You know what this dwarf says to that,” Gimli retorted. “Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul.” Even though Anya had begun to think of Gimli as a friend, this particular statement from a dwarf was very offensive and vulgar. And for him to say those words to her father just made her snap. She didn’t care if it was her own kins’ fault for the bad blood between elves and dwarves, Gimli had no right saying something so horrendous to her father.

“How dare you,” she yelled at him in elvish. “You vulgar little imp! We should have just left you down in those accursed mines!!!! Down where all your other kin died trying to take back that even whole in the earth. You have no right!!” By now Legolas and Bravain had Anya by her arms, dragging her way from the stupefied dwarf.

“Anya, calm yourself,” Bravain said in her right ear.

“Yes cousin,” Legolas said. “Don’t make your body any worse than it already is. You may cause your side to start bleeding once more.” Anya yanked her arms out of their grasped and marched away, pacing back and forth by the small stream while Aragorn and Legolas pleaded with her father to take them into the safe arms of Lothlorien. After a time, Anya felt a familiar tickling inside her head, the same tingle that meant her lady wished to speak with her.

*My Lady,* Anya said with her telepathy, bowing her head as she did so. *What do you wish of me?*

*Bring your fellowship before me, I wish to speak with you,* her Lady replied and then withdrew from her mind.

“Ada,” Anya called, “The Lady of Light wishes for us to come before her. Lead us to her home.”

Haldir bowed his head before turning to the others, “You will follow me.” After a short march, the fellowship found themselves climbing a spiral stairway up a large white tree. The hobbits looked in awe upon the magnificent forest around them, Legolas looked as if he might burst with joy at finally being able to see the beauty of Lorien, but the men were too concerned about what lay before them to drink in the wonder.

When they reached the top. They came to an opening, there were no walls or railing, just a flat white, wood floor and the gorgeous sky full of stars above them. Even though Anya had been here many times before, it still took her breath away at the sheer beauty of it.

Looking forward, Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn stood before them, light radiating from them like a white halo. They descended the stairs to stand before the fellowship, Haldir took his place next to his Lord and Lady, a place Anya herself would be standing as well, except the fact that she was one of the fellowship and her place was with her companions, even though she wish to strangle one of them at the moment.

“The enemy knows you have entered here,” Lord Celeborn stated. “What hope you had in secrecy is now gone.” Anya sighed quietly, closing her eyes and then reopening them, her father looking at her with concern. “Eight there are here, yet nine there were set out from Rivendell. Tell me where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him. I can no longer see him from afar.” At this eye had to turn her eyes away, as they began to sting and threaten to spill over with tears once again.

“Gandalf the Grey did not pass the borders of this land,” Lady Galadriel said. “He has fallen into shadow.” Lord Celeborn looked over to his made in silent shock.

“He was taken by both Shadow and Flame,” Legolas said after a long silence.

“A Balrog of Morgoth,” Anya finished, a slight catch in her throat. “For we went needlessly into the net of Moria.”

“Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life,” Lady Galadriel stated. “We do not yet know his whole purpose.” Tears rolled freely from Anya’s eyes as her Lady said these things. “Do not let the great emptiness of Khazad-dûm fill your heart Gimli, son of Glóin. For the world has grown full of peril, and in all lands love is now mingled with grief.” At these last words, Lady Galadriel turned her gaze upon Boromir, and he made choking cry before turning his gaze away.

“What now becomes of this fellowship?” Lord Celeborn put in. “Without Gandalf, hope is lost.”

“The quest stands upon the edge of a knife,” Lady Galadriel said. “Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the company is true. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest, for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. You are welcome here as long as you need to rest, for once you leave these borders you will have a long road before you.” Anya bowed her head on gratitude to her Lady before turning the others to leave.