Defender of Lorien

The Wolves Of Sauran

“We did not bring the sun,” Anya said, “she was brazing in blue spotted fields in the south.” After Anya said this Legolas came up behind her.

“Our strong men disappeared in the snow,” Legolas informed everyone, “but I saw that only a wall’s thickness to the right of them, that the snow went down to thigh depth.” He smiled as he told them this.

“So,” Gandalf said with a smile, “I noticed that Anya returned first. That means that she won.” Anya held her head high and laughed, as Legolas crossed his arms and pretended to be upset at losing to her.

A little while later, they saw the men returning. As they came back, panting from their work, Boromir began to smile.

“Even though the snow was deep,” Boromir boasted, “we were able to thrust a lane to the bottom. It is hope for everyone who cannot walk or run on snow.” Boromir said this as he looked at the two elves, who were still standing on the snow.

“But what of the hobbits,” Anya said, “that snow is still too deep for them.”

“Have no fear,” Boromir said, giving her a brilliant smile, “even though we are weary, Aragorn and I can carry them down.” So, after saying this, Boromir slung Pippin over his back., “Hold on, for I need the use of my hands.” Then Aragorn did the same thing with Merry. Anya and Legolas walked along side Boromir and Aragorn, on the snow, as they made their way down. Gandalf and Gimli stayed with Frodo and Sam. Then, when Pippin and Merry reached the bottom, Anya and Legolas waited with them as Boromir and Aragorn made their way down with the rest of the group.

While they waited, the hobbits kept looking at Anya with strange expressions on their faces.

“What is it?” Anya asked them. Merry blushed and looked away. But Pippin seemed to gather up his courage to say something.

“You look….um…” Pippin stammered, “the snow……uh…..”

“What,” Anya laughed.

“You’re beautiful,” Pippin finally blurted as everyone walked up. Anya had had a feeling that that was what he was going to say, and smiled. Anya couldn’t help but to lean down and give Pippin a kiss on top of his head.

“Thank you,” she laughed, “you’re very sweet.” As she said this, unknown to Pippin or Anya, they were being watch, and Pippin was getting glared at, from someone walking down the mountain. He began to pull the sword out of its sheath.

“Boromir,” Frodo said, “what are you doing?”

As Boromir was pulled back to reality, he pushed his sword back in the sheath.

“Umm,” he said, “nothing….. just checking to see if my sword was stuck in the sheath….. just a habit I guess.”

“Oh,” Frodo said, thinking he understood.

Why had I just done that, Boromir pondered, it’s not like she loves me, or I love her. Boromir continued to ponder on this as they made their way to the rest of the group. But, when he got to the bottom, he was reminded of why he had drawn his sword. It was because of how gorgeous this beautiful elven maiden was.

All of a sudden, Boromir was seeing things in slow motion. Anya was turning around to face him, her lips peeled back in a smile, showing off her beautifully, perfect, white elven teeth, that shinned whiter than the snow. Her red hair falling from her shoulders, more lush than rose petals. And her slanted green eyes, more brilliant than even a gem. Oh my God, Boromir thought, I am in love. And he had been, ever since the moment he had caught her falling off of her horse.

When the group had finally made it all the way down the mountain, it was almost dusk.

“We need to find shelter,” Aragorn said.

“But where is it safe to sleep out here in these god forsaken woods?” Pippin complained. Anyanesta ran around the woods while everyone else bickered amongst themselves. She spotted a hill surrounded by dead trees, it looked safe enough. Wind had begun to howl once again.

“Gandalf,” Anya shouted to the group, “I have found a suitable area to rest our heads.” The group went up to where Anya was standing. “The trees, even though they do not live, will provide shelter for us.”

“We best hurry,” Sam said, “the wind is howling strongly in my ears.” At the mention of the wind, Anya realized it was not just the wind howling.

“Legolas,” she said in her native tongue, “that is not the wind. Wargs!”

“What did she say?” Pippin asked.

Gandalf said, “It is not the wind that is the only one howling. The enemy has set loose its wolfs. They are known as wargs.”

Gandalf had chosen Legolas and Anya to take the first watch. They all had agreed to get as much rest as possible.

“I need no sleep tonight,” Anya had assured Gandalf, “Besides elves have excellent ears for hearing.” As everyone slept, Anya could hear the wolves approaching. Gandalf and Aragorn had decided not to sleep. They could feel the presence of the enemy nearing them. Then, out of nowhere, a pair of red eyes were right in front of Anya.

Fear shot through Anya and grounded her to the spot. Sometimes, Anya thought, I HATE being part human. The fear got a hold of her so strongly that she was having trouble drawing in breath.

At that moment, Aragorn could sense something near. He looked over to where Anya was and saw red eyes glowing against the dark.

“Anya,” Aragorn said with a commanding tone, “Move closer to the fire.” At the sound of Aragorn’s voice Gandalf and Legolas looked in the direction of Anya.

“I…..,” Anya gasped trying to get enough breath, “I… can’t move.”

“Anya,” Gandalf said in a calming voice, “slowly back up, if it tries to attack we shall slay it.” For some reason, Gandalf’s words were able to break the invisible chains holding her to the spot. Slowly, Anya walked backwards, keeping her eyes on the pair of red eyes.

Then, as suddenly as the eyes had appeared, the eyes disappeared. Legolas went near where Anya had been and inspected the ground.

“It’s just as we feared,” Legolas said, “the enemy has found us.”

*~~~~~~~~~~~*

The next morning, Anya pulled out some apples, gave one to everyone, actually the hobbits got three apiece. As everyone ate their apples, they discussed what their next move should be.

“We can no longer go over Caradarus,” Gandalf stated, “I am open for suggestions.”

“Let us go through the gap of Rohan,” Boromir suggested, “the horse lords are friendly to my people.”

“But it is too close to Saurmon,” Aragorn said, “it is not safe that way.” Boromir was about to object to Aragorn’s words, but he bit his tongue and listened for other ideas.

“I have it,” Gimli said in his gruff voice, “if we can’t go over the mountain, and going around it would take too long, I suggest we go under it!”

A grim look spread over the faces of Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Anya, and Boromir, they understood what Gimli meant.

“How can we go under a mountain,” the naïve Pippin asked, obviously he hadn’t been paying much attention at the meeting “we are not gophers, we can’t dig through a mountain as large as that.” Everyone looked at him as if he were a complete idiot, which he was half the time.

“If we do take that path,” Gandalf said with an irritated tone in his voice, “then it will be through the dwarven mines.”

“The mines of Moria,” Gimli said a spark in his eye.

“I will not go through those cursed mines,” Boromir objected, “there is something evil down there. It is less safe in those mines than the journey through the lands I'm from.”

“No,” Gandalf said, “I would rather take the ring through Moria than go within a thousand leagues of your city.” They all sat in silence and pondered about the predicament they were in.

“Aragorn,” Gandalf said breaking the silences, “what is your opinion?”

Aragorn had been sitting next to Gandalf, staring off into the distance.

“I would rather avoid the mines,” Aragorn said, still looking off into the distance, “but going through Rohan is just as treacherous. Anya what do you think?”

“I know the dangers of nearing Saurmon,” Anya said, “but I also have heard rumors about Moria as well. It is pitch black in those mines, even darker than night. I have no vote in this Gandalf.”

“The ring bearer’s voice is also important in this vote,” Gandalf said looking to Frodo. Frodo had been listening to the whole ordeal, and was now trying to decide which path he would rather take. After what seemed an eternity, Frodo came to a decision.

“Let us go through the mines,” Frodo said. Anya, even though she was relieved to avoid Sarumon, felt dread spread out through her body at the thought of going through the mines. Could going through the mines possibly be safer than traveling through Rohan?

“We are still weary from the mountain pass,” Gandalf said, “let us have one more night’s rest.”

“But what of the Wargs?!” Anya asked, “sure we cannot linger where the enemy is so near.”

“Do not question my lead,” Gandalf said sternly, as he drew in a breath and let the anger slowly subside, “as I said, we are all weary. We need our rest for this next part in the journey.” Anya understood what he meant. Gandalf hadn’t gotten a wink of sleep for the past couple of nights. She nodded her head to show Gandalf she understood.

“All of you rest,” Anya said looking mainly at Gandalf, “I’ll keep watch tonight, you shall be safe.”

Anya looked at the sky and noticed that the sun had already begun to lie down behind the hills. Everyone but Aragorn had begun to unravel their bed rolls.

“Anya,” Aragorn said coming up to her, “get some rest, Legolas and I will take the watch tonight. You were up all night last night, you also need your rest, Legolas and I both agree.”

“Yes, Anya,” Legolas said from behind her, “don’t argue, Boromir has volunteered to take your spot.” Before Anya could deny being tired, an unexpected yawn escaped her lips. She looked at Legolas a little annoyed, but obediently got her blankets, laid them next to Legolas, and pulled the covers over her head.

*~~~~~~~~~~~*
She was running through green grass fields that were spotted with multiple colored flowers. She could smell the sweet aroma of the flowers, and could feel the soft grass tickling her feet, Anya smiled. She heard someone coming up behind. She felt completely safe.

“There you are,” a male voice said, the sound of his voice made her feel as if she were flying. She didn’t know why or how, but she was in love with this very man who spoke to her. She didn’t turn around to see him. She didn’t know why, but she wanted him to walked behind her. Then she felt his strong hands on her slender shoulders. She smiled as he put his nose to her hair. Shivers went through her skin as he put his lips to her pointed ear. His warm breath brushed against her skin.

“Where have you been,” he asked, “I’ve been looking for you all of my life.” Then slowly he pulled on her shoulders so she would turn around to face him. She closed her eyes as she turned, breathing the smell of him, the smell of leather and wilderness. She could feel his hands on her cheeks now, they were ruff, yet soft against her fair skin. Slowly he pulled her closer, and lightly, ever so lightly, put his lips to hers. Her heart skipped a beat.

Without taking his lips from her, he slid his hands down her neck, down her shoulders, and wrapped around her back, pulling her close to him. She may not have known who was kissing her, but she never wanted him to stop. Anya had never felt as alive as she did now, as he continued to kiss her sweetly. Then, when he pulled away to breath, she opened her eyes.

The face of the man she saw for the first time shocked her. His steel grey eye sparkled with happiness, a smile spread across his fair noble face. It was him? She closed her eyes, thinking they were playing tricks on her. He began to shack her shoulder, as if trying to wake her.

“Anya!” Wait, that wasn’t his voice, she thought, it was higher and smoother than his, “Anya, wake up!” Reopening her eye, she saw that she was no longer dreaming.

“You were having another nightmare,” Legolas said releasing her shoulders, “ you’ve been having those a lot lately. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing is wrong with me,” Anya stated, still a little shaken from being so abruptly pulled out of such a wonderful, yet strange, dream, “and I was not having a nightmare, but you just pulled me into one.” Boromir looked over his shoulder as he overheard this conversation, and Anya's stomach did a summersault when he made eye contact with him. Boromir just looked the other way when he noticed Anya staring at him.

As Anya was concluding that Boromir was an actually handsome looking human, her train of thought came to a crashing halt as she heard a twig snap off to her right, and she became very still and silent, listening for any movement. One of the hobbits closest Boromir awoke and he warned them to stay quiet. Anya slowly crept over to Aragorn.

“They’re back,” she whispered to him, “should we wake the others?”

“There’s no need to wake the others, as we are all awake,” Aragorn said, and he was right.

“Oh,” Anya said, looking around, “I’ve only just been violently awoken by my cousin.” After saying this, Anya grabbed out one of her daggers and one of her twin short swords, which was engraved with leaf designs up the side of the blade, and a metal vine wrapped around the hilt of the sword. The metal of the sword had a light tint of green to it, and was sharp enough to cut through human flesh and bones, like slicing through bread and butter. As it was said, a good blade was an extension of your arm, and Anya had two.

A deep growl was heard from in front of everyone, just as a pair of red eyes appeared. This time they weren’t alone, as others popped up behind it. Slowly the head of the creature came into the light of the fire. It was shaped like a wolf’s, but its skin and fur were torn and matted from many fights amongst other creatures.

Anya twirled her short sword in her left hand and prepared herself to through her dagger with her right at a moment’s notice. She looked to her right and saw many more red hungry eyes looking at her. This night, Anya wasn’t gripped by fear, in fact, she was thrilled at the idea of combat. Come on you beasts, she thought to herself, just give me an excuse. A smile, in a way a creepy smile, spread over her face.

“Anya,” Aragorn said in a stern voice, “hold your ground. Let Gandalf do what he can first, then-” Aragorn was interrupted as a warg through itself at Frodo. Before anyone could blink an eye, the warg fell to the ground with Anya's dagger imbedded in between its eyes. Frodo became pail as he thought of what he’d almost become, food.

“Hounds of Sauron,” Gandalf shouted, “flee if you value your skins. I will destroy you if you but enter this ring.” Another warg decided to try his hand at attacking Frodo, but was put down with the twang of an arrow from Legolas. The wargs’ bodies that Anya and Legolas had killed landed outside of the fire light.

“Anya, Legolas, Gimli, you stay here and watch that Halflings, Boromir and I will running off any stragglers,” Aragorn said before running off after the wargs with Boromir right behind him.

“Anya, it is almost dawn, let us get ready to leave while the others are off,” Legolas said, “you help the Halfling pack, for you know what is necessary for the journey, and I’ll gather up Boromir and Aragorn’s supplies.” With that, Anya helped the hobbits sort through their belongings, and decided what they needed to take and what could be left behind. As Anya was about to take a small box from Sam’s bag Sam broke into tears.

“Please miss,” he cried, “please don’t take that!” At first Anya was too shocked to say or do anything.

“What?” she stammered.

“Please don’t take that,” he said.

“Well, if it’s that important to you,” Anya said handing it back to him, “it’s small enough to stay out of the way. What is it?”

“It’s a little piece of home,” Sam said, now calming down. Anya gave him an understanding smile, being away from home was always something she dreaded having to experience. Bending over, she kissed Sam on the head, and went over to Legolas, as Sam was the final hobbit she needed to help. As she walked over to Legolas, Aragorn and Boromir came back from chasing the wargs.

“There isn’t a single sign of the beasts,” Aragorn said, “and all that was left of your arrow Legolas was the feather.” And as Aragorn said this, he handed Legolas what was left of his arrow.

“But what of my dagger?” Anya asked. Boromir walked up to her and handed her the hilt of her dagger, the blade missing, “aww, and that was my favorite dagger.” Boromir gave her a sympathetic look as he grabbed his bag from Legolas.

“It is time that we depart this place and begin our journey to Moria,” Gandalf said after everyone was ready to travel, and they left the hillside of dead trees behind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy