Defender of Lorien

The Air Is Not So Fowl

They had been traveling through the mine for what seemed an eternity to Anya, but in actuality it had only been a day and a half. They had finally begun to descend, as all the other paths had brought them closer to the surface. But the place they were trying to find was deeper within the mines, and this brought some hope to Anya.

But her hope was shortly lowered as they came to a fork in their path.

“I have no memory of this place,” Gandalf said to himself, but Anya heard due to her elven ears. They set up camp here, on this narrow set of stairs while Gandalf tried to recall which way was the correct way. Anya was only able to hold on to her sanity by a thread, with the hope that Gandalf would remember the way.

Aragorn had the hobbits situate themselves around the small fire while he and Legolas kept an eye on the dark passages before them, as to keep watch if something unfriendly where to come from one. While they watch the tunnels, Anya and Boromir watch the stairs from whence they came. Gimli sat with Gandalf and they talked of the two passages, debating which way would be the correct path to trek.

The cold of the stone Anya stood upon seeped through her thin cloth boots causing a cool shiver to crawl down her spin. Their surrounds were black as a ravens feathers, but Anya's elven eyes were able to pierce the darkness ever so slightly; alas, Boromir was at a disadvantage having to rely on Anya's keen sense.

After a few hours, Anya found herself pacing next to Boromir, occasionally looking over her shoulder at Gandalf, hoping for any sign that he’d remembered the way. Just as she was about to turn once again in her pace, she felt a hand fall across her left shoulder. Boromir had grabbed her and gave her a kindly smile.

“Have heart, Gandalf will find a way,” he said. Even though he acted as if he were fine, Anya could see worry in his eyes also. He was trying to be strong for her, and it made her smile.

“Thank you Boromir,” Anya said, “but I will not be at ease til we are out of this ghastly dwarven pit. The air seems as if it wants nothing more than to smother me, and the darkness feels as though it wishes to devour me. Only when we are out in daylight will I once more be at ease.”

Boromir smiled then released her shoulder, allowing her to continue her pacing. Boromir turned at looked back at the fire, and before Anya restarted her pacing, she looked over the human she had come to know as friend. He was the only other human besides Aragorn that she knew and who held the honor of being her friend. Boromir must have sensed her watchful gaze, as he turned around and caught her eyes just as she turned to pace again, a slight smile laid over his fair face.

Things continued to be quiet except for the occasional whispering from Gandalf and Gimli, when suddenly Gandalf stood with a start, a cheerful laugh escaping his lips.

“It’s that way,” Gandalf said, his eyes gleaming with amusement, as he pointed to the tunnel that lead to the right.

“How do you know?” Frodo asked as the others whispered excitedly about Gandalf’s remembering.

“Because the air isn’t so fowl down this way,” Gandalf said as everyone gathered their stuff and prepared to move on. As Anya was gathering her’s and Legolas’s belongings, she noticed gleaming eyes down in the shadows, looking as felines eye reflecting the light of a fire in the darkness. Anya went to reach for her bow when Gandalf walked up to her side.

“Leave him,” Gandalf whispered, “It is only Gollum, Frodo also saw him, but he is of no danger to us.” And with that, the fellowship pressed on, deeper into the dark mine of Moria.
♠ ♠ ♠
I Apologize for how long it's taken me to post this. I've beem busy with my ever growing pill of stories(: I want to thank Liar Liar Pants On Fire and Ice Cat for their comments and begg for more. Enjoy!!!