Gone

Chapter Three

Tears started to build up. I can't cry. He'll hear me. With each drip from my eyes, rolling down my cheek, and splashing on the floor he'll know how weak I really am. They all will. I can't let it happen.

"Be strong, Toni" I heard my grandmother's voice in my words. She used to say those comforting words to me. She knew about his problems. Her voice was comforting. But nothing could cover up the pain.

I looked up at the bathroom mirror. My nose stopped bleeding but my lip still had an open cut. My left eye is black and blue too. Great! Hats and sunglasses for the next two weeks or so. Again!

He's coming up the stairs. Those heavy foot steps are unforgettable. His head pops in to look at me. What does he want? I can't stand the sight of him anymore. I avert my gaze and stare off to the side.

He steps in and puts his arms around me from behind. "Sweetheart." he pushes my hair away from my neck. "Please don't." I whisper. "Don't touch me."

"Darling, please forgive me." he starts kissing my face and moving down to my neck. What the fuck is he doing?! I try to move away but I'm being held to tight. I open my mouth to scream. Only air. I shove him away and head to the door.