That Girl

i'm alright with being a thief.

Alex ran his fingertips over Finley's ribs, glancing up at her from where he was resting his head on her shoulder. "I could go for a nap right now," he told her.

Finley tugged at strands of his hair. "I told you not to fall asleep," she said.

Alex smiled, scooting up and pressing his lips to hers. "Then you have to distract me."

"My guess is you're easily distracted and don't need me for this task," she joked.

"No way, you're definitely needed for this task," he told her before kissing her again. It wasn't even five seconds later when Alex's cell phone started to ring. He pulled away, a curse falling from his lips, as he reached for his phone on his nightstand. He rolled his eyes upon looking at the caller ID before he answered. "Hello, mother." He paused for a minute. "Um…hang on a second," he said before covering the mouthpiece of the phone. "Are you hungry?" he asked quietly.

Finley sat up, nodding.

"Um, I'm actually going to go out to eat with a friend," he responded. "I don't know what time I'll be home, no." He paused again. "Okay, I'll see you later." Hanging up his phone, he turned back to Finley. "Let's get out of here before my parents get home," he suggested.

She stood up, fixing her shirt and her hair. "Any reason why we have to leave before your parents arrive?" she asked, sliding on her flip flops.

Alex shrugged. "I just…don't want to have to explain to them who you are."

Finley paused. "Thanks?"

"No, I didn't mean it like…" he trailed off, shaking his head. "I don't bring girls over often. And when I do, it's the third degree."

"I understand that. You've met my father. Except…I've never had a guy over…except for you, I guess," she said with a shrug.

"They mean well, my parents. But… I'd rather it just be the two of us right now. Is that…okay?" he asked.

Finley nodded, shoving her money and ID into her pocket before grabbing her phone. "Should I take my bag?"

Alex shook his head. "We'll come back for it later. Where do you want to eat?"

"Wherever," she told him with a shrug.

"Do you like pizza?"

Finley sighed. "Really, Alex? I'm a teenager. What teenager doesn't love pizza?"

Alex smiled. "Good point."

+

"Hi, I'm Lisa and I'll be your--"

"Lisa," Alex said with a small smile on his face. "Hi."

Lisa smiled, pushing a strand of dirty blonde hair behind her ear. "Hi, Alex."

"How've you been?"

"Good. Good. You?"

"Good," Alex said with a nod.

"So…um, what can I get for you two?" Lisa asked, looking between the two of them, eyes landing curiously on Finley.

"A Coke is fine, thank you," Finley said with a small smile on her face.

Alex shrugged. "Make that two."

Lisa nodded. "All right. I'll be back in just a minute with your drinks," she told them with a smile before turning around and walking away.

Finley looked over at Alex, her eyebrows raised. "Do you know everyone?"

"It's possible I do," Alex said, opening the menu. "What do you like on your pizza?"

"Anything but ex-girlfriend," Finley said quietly.

Alex sighed. "Fin--"

"I'm not mad, Alex, I just don't want you to lie to me. And I really don't want to sit here awkwardly," she told him.

"She is an ex, yes. My only real serious girlfriend. We split amicably--"

"Good word," she noted.

Alex smiled softly. "And we aren't really friends, but we don't hate each other."

"She seems nice."

Alex scoffed.

"I'm being honest!" Finley declared.

Alex laughed. "Well, she is," he told her with a shrug. "Now, what do you like on your pizza?"

"Usually just cheese."

"I normally get sausage and pepperoni--"

"Did you know pork is the closest you can get to tasting human flesh?" Finley asked.

Alex paused, dropping the menu. He met her eyes and just stared at her for a minute. "What?"

Finley nodded. "I mean, that's why all those CSI shows use pigs to test bullets and things like that. Our skin is pretty much the same texture and consistency. Not to mention that Arthur Shawcross, serial killer and apparent cannibal, said that human flesh tastes like pork," she told him.

"Here are your Cokes," Lisa said, setting two glasses on the table. "Have you guys decided what you wanted yet?"

"A large pizza with cheese only," Alex said, distracted. "I think I'm done with pork."

Finley smiled and bit back a laugh. "And can we get an order of breadsticks please?"

Lisa smiled. "No problem. It'll be out for you soon."

"Thank you."

With another nod, Lisa turned and walked back towards the kitchen.

"You okay?" Finley asked, trying not to smile and failing.

"Did you not just hear what you said?"

"No, I heard it."

"You just ruined pork for me!" Alex declared.

Finley laughed and shrugged lightly. "Sorry?"

Alex couldn't be mad when she looked that adorable. He paused internally--adorable? Really? Yeah, that wasn't lingo he was used to using.

"What are you looking at?" Finley asked him, noticing the odd look he was giving her.

"Nothing. I just think you're adorable," Alex told her.

Okay, that made Finley blush. She ducked her head, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Shut up, Alex."

Alex just smiled.

Finley was quiet for a minute before pulling her phone out of her pocket. "I'm going to call my dad real quick."

"Okay," Alex said with a nod.

With a small smile, Finley stood from the booth and walked outside for a little bit of privacy.

"Here are your breadsticks, Lex," Lisa said, setting the basket on the table.

"Thank you."

Lisa paused for a minute. "Are you guys dating?"

"Me and Finley? No. No, we…" he sighed. "I don't know."

"She seems nice."

Alex laughed. "She said the same thing about you," he told her.

Lisa frowned.

"She meant it. And I hope you do, too."

"I do," Lisa said quietly.

"She's…not. Not all the time, anyway," he said with a shrug.

"She's the new girl, right?"

Alex nodded.

"I knew if anyone would steal her heart, it'd be you," Lisa said. And while most other girls would've said it with a hint of malice or contempt, she sounded as if she was making a legitimate comment. There was no anger behind her words. She could have been bitter that Alex's affections were elsewhere, but she wanted him to be happy. That's what friends were supposed to do, right?

Alex shrugged. "Sometimes I wonder if she has a heart to steal," Alex admitted, eyes falling on Finley as she paced outside the window, still on her phone.

"If anyone's going to be able to figure that out, Alex, you probably have the best chance," Lisa told him. "I can tell you like her."

"I do," he agreed, still watching Finley through the window.

"Good luck."

Alex laughed lightly. "Thanks. I'm gonna need it."