That Girl

this life's so unpredictable.

Finley felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. She had heard that voice before; it was one she never wanted to hear again. For a brief second, she wondered if she had made the wrong decision. But worrying about that wouldn't help the situation at all since she was already there. She raised her hands slowly before turning around, eyes meeting those of a man before landing on the gun leveled straight at her face.

"Cat got your tongue?" he asked, a smile on his lips.

"No," Finley said. "I'm just thinking about all of the bad ideas that comprise your very existence."

The man paused, glancing towards the other gentleman walking into the room. "Was that an insult?" he asked quietly.

The second man nodded. "Yeah, it was, Dave."

Dave frowned. "I should shoot you now for that comment."

Finley shrugged, keeping her arms open wide. "Go for it. I guarantee you my father will end you by nightfall if that comes into fruition."

"Having your daddy fight your battles for you?" Dave asked. "Bad choice."

"I don't need my daddy to fight for me," Finley told him, reaching around with speed she didn't know that she possessed to grab the gun hidden in the waistband of her jeans, leveling it at Dave's face. "Wanna see who can fire first?"

"You are a silly, silly girl," Dave told her.

"Care to see how silly or would you prefer to keep up this mindless bickering until you get the guts to actually shoot?"

Dave frowned. "I could take you out in two seconds flat."

"Your friends tried in Dallas. They failed," she reminded him, unable to stop the smirk that was forming on her face. "I dare you to do better."

"You dare me?" Dave asked.

"I double dare you," Finley told him with a shrug. "Does that hurt your pride enough for you to actually make a move?"

"You little bitch--"

Finley scoffed. "Sticks and stones, babe"

"How about this, then?" Dave asked rhetorically before pulling the trigger.

+

"Where are we going?" Alex asked as Robert grabbed his arm and dragged him out of the house.

"To find Finley," Robert told him. "Get in the car."

Alex did as he was told, reaching for the seat belt.

"Don't bother," Robert said, turning on the car and reversing out of the driveway at a speed that did not make Alex feel comfortable. "Who else have you told?" he asked.

Alex paused. "What?"

"Who else have you told?" Robert demanded.

"About your situation?"

"Yes."

"No one."

Robert glanced over at him, frowning. "Are you sure?"

Alex resisted the urge to scoff. "I'm positive."

"Good."

"What are you going to do when we get there?"

Robert sighed. "Whatever I have to do to keep my daughter safe."

Alex nodded.

Robert's heart was pounding as he pulled into the driveway. He knew he was supposed to wait for Walker but there was no way. He climbed out of the car, rolling the sleeves of his jacket up.

When he heard the first shots fire, his stomach dropped.

"Finley," Alex breathed before running towards the house.

Robert followed, passing him quickly. He had to get to Finley.

+

Dave smiled as Finley cried out in pain, falling to her knees. "See? How was--"

Finley leveled the gun at his stomach, firing three shots consecutively. Before the other guy could move in, she shot him in the knee, causing him to fall over. "Fucking asshole," she muttered, pressing a hand to her right shoulder in an effort to stop the bleeding.

"Finley!"

"Dad!"

Robert followed Finley's voice, running into the kitchen. "Oh, my God. Are you--"

"They're still alive, fuck," Finley muttered, falling onto her side.

Alex was at her side in an instant, pulling his jacket off and pressing it against the wound.

Robert picked up the gun that Finley discarded, looking at the two men in front of her. "Fin, do you have another clip?"

"Back pocket," she muttered.

Alex dug it out of her back pocket and tossed it to Robert.

Robert loaded the gun and leveled it at Dave's face. "You touched my daughter?"

"She was asking for it," Dave choked out.

Robert didn't even blink as he shot him right between the eyes, turning the gun on the other man. "Is that your story, too? Did she ask for it?"

The man held up both of his hands. "I didn't do anything, I promise--"

"I don't care about your promises," Robert said. "Are you the one that killed my wife?"

The man shook his head. "It was Dave--it was all Dave."

"You're going to pay for his sins, too," Robert told him before pulling the trigger.

+

"What the hell happened here?" Walker asked, walking in with at least five county police officers trailing behind him, guns raised.

Robert barely spared him a glance before looking back down at Finley. "We need an ambulance."

Walker sighed before looking at one of the officers, giving him the go-ahead to go get a medic. "What happened?" Walker repeated, walking over to the two bodies and checking for pulses. There were none.

"They shot my daughter, so I shot them," Robert told him.

Walker looked at Alex. "Is that what happened?"

Alex nodded without even looking at him--his eyes were fixed on Finley. "Yes, that's what happened."

+

Finley could hear voices arguing and they started to grow louder and louder. She shook her head slowly before opening her eyes slightly, just enough to see Alex and her father fighting at the edge of her bed.

"I just want to know why I'm lying to the police for you," Alex said in a hushed tone.

Robert sighed. "If they know the truth, Finley and I will both get in a lot of trouble."

"I know that, but--"

"I'm not putting my daughter at risk any more than I already have."

Alex bit his lip. "I understand--"

"Do I have your word?" Robert asked.

"Robert--"

"We can stay. We'll be able to stay in Baltimore. Finley will be able to graduate. She'll be able to stay around here," Robert told him. "Do you want to risk that?"

Alex sighed, running a hand over his face.

"Please."