Status: Zacky Vengeance Story!!!!

I'll Be There For You

(13)

Zacky's POV

I grinned widely as I watched Gabby walking around, setting up her and Nadia's room.

Seeing the woman I love and the child who's become such a big piece of my heart, making a home in my place, was overwhelming to say the least.

I couldn't be happier.

And yet, there was a dark shadow hanging over our wonderful moment.

The threat that is keeping us from being truly content.

The threat from her piece of shit ex boyfriend.

I tried taking a deep breath to relax myself, but it didn't work.

I silently stepped away from Nadia's and Gabby's room, making sure to not make a sound.

I walked through the house, checking the windows and doors to make sure they were locked.

I set the alarm and made my way over to my workout room.

I closed the door and slipped my gloves on, circling the bag slowly.

I gave a soft punch, testing the firmness of the bag.

It's been a while since I'd last used it.

And then I was circling and giving out combinations until my hands were moving so fast, it felt like I couldn't control them.

I pretended the bag was Gabby's ex and acted out a portion of what I would do to him if I ever caught him around my family.

My arms felt like dead weights and I let them fall to my side, laying my head against the bag as I tried to catch my breath.

I heard a soft click behind me and I turned to see Gabby leaning against the closed door.

Her eyes were wide, her arms crossed over her chest, almost as if she was hugging herself.

Trying to keep herself together.

"How long have you been there?" I asked her, taking in a big gulp of water.

"A while." She said quietly.

I walked over to the bench and sat down, starting to take off my gloves.

I heard soft footsteps and I looked up to see Gabby walking towards me.

She kneeled in between my legs and grabbed my gloved hands, gently easing them out of the sweaty mitts.

My hands felt sore and raw but I felt a lot better.

Gabby's eyes were focused on my hands and I tried to pull them away from her view.

"It doesn't hurt that bad." I toke her quietly.

"Were you frustrated about something? Is that why you came in here?" She asked, looking up at me.

I stayed quiet for a moment, not sure if I should tell her or not.

I took in a deep breath.

"Every time I think of that piece of shit laying his hands on you or trying to hurt Nadia, there's a roaring in my ears and my blood starts to boil. When I get like that, the only thing that makes me feel better is pounding on something." I told her honestly.

Her eyes widened in shock and I grabbed her shoulders, pulling her onto my lap before she could scurry away.

"I was angry, yes. And hitting something makes me feel better. But I don't want you to ever, ever feel afraid of me. Wanting to punch a bag and wanting to cause you harm are two completely different things. I'd never hurt you Gabby. Or Nadia. I love you both and I'm not going to let anyone hurt you." I said firmly.

She looked me in the eyes, and after a moment, she nodded.

We sat there for a few minutes, just holding each other when she turned to face me.

"I want you to teach me to fight." She said suddenly.

I sat there for a moment, trying to see if I had heard her correctly.

"You want me to what?" I asked her.

"I want you to teach me to fight. When Bobby finds me, I'm not going to be a sitting duck. I want to be able to protect myself and my daughter. Please, Zacky." Gabby pleaded.

I sat in silence for a minute, and then decided it was probably a good idea.

"Okay. I'll teach you. So will Matt and Brian, Johnny and the Rev." I told her.

She looked confused for a moment but I smiled.

"We've been in plenty of fights. You'll need lots of pointers. It never hurts to have more than one teacher." I told her.

She nodded and a slow smile went across her face.

"I also talked to a buddy of mine at the police station. I let him know what was going on but he wasn't able to find any police reports on file under your name." I told her.

She looked down and I tilted her chin up.

"What is it?" I asked her.

"That's because you looked under the wrong name." She said quietly.

I was confused.

"Wrong name? Your name isn't Gabby?" I asked her in confusion.

"It is. But when I left Bobby, I changed my last name. It's really Catrell, not Carmine. And Bobby has friends in the police department. An investigation wasn't even done. And I paid greatly for filing that claim against Bobby. Don't think he didn't make me pay for opening my mouth." Gabby said, a shudder going through her small body.

I squeezed her tighter to my chest, letting her know I was there.

"I'm so sorry Gabby. I'll have Mike check under your real name. He also thinks Bobby may have found you through your social security number." I told her.

And then she looked confused.

"You didn't change it, did you?" I asked her.

She shook her head.

"So when you started applying for new jobs, they needed a social to run a background check. They'd also need contact information. He thinks that's how this prick was able to get your number." I told her.

Her body was eerily still and it was making me nervous.

I didn't know what to do.

I've never been in this situation before.

"I'm such an idiot. I should've gone for jobs that didn't need a background check. That paid under the table. Instead, I led him right to us. And to you." She said, her voice full of misery.

I pulled her close and kissed her forehead.

"You're not an idiot. You were scared. And if you ask me, you did a damn good job of erasing your footsteps." I told her.

"Not good enough." She grumbled.

I ran my hand up and down her arm, trying to soothe her.

"You don't have to worry now. I'm here. I'll protect you." I whispered, rocking her back and forth.

We stayed like that for quite some time.

And I smiled when I saw that Gabby had fallen asleep.

I pushed the hair out from in front of her face and was struck dumb when I felt the wave of love wash over me.

That's when I realized I'd do absolutely anything to protect this woman and child.

It's not just tough words anymore, it's everything.

I'll do anything to keep them safe.

To keep Nadia's world as stable as possible.

And keep this look of peace on Gabby's face.

"I love you." I murmured, kissing her forehead.

She cuddled closer to me and I smiled.

Anything.

I'll do anything.

Let this motherfucker bring it.

No way am I letting him hurt my family.

No way.