Status: It will be done eventually...

I love you, Haley

Chapter Two

Once the sounds behind the door became distant again, Haley took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Her mind raced and her heart was at a fast pace. After a moment of deep breathing she hastily made her way outside. The sun had already begun to set when she stepped out the door. The boys were still chatting at the gas pumps all smirking as Haley walked by.

At this moment nothing was certain to Haley. First glance Soda was Haley’s prince charming; at least he looked the part. But further into the conversation he became more distant. Steve was alright, as far as that goes. Then all the talk of Soc’s and Greaser’s. Haley didn’t know what those were. She had a general idea but nothing for fact.

By the time she reached the edge of the east side Haley came to a realization. She was still smiling. Bearing an idiotic grin but not caring, because Haley knew she just found someone special. So tomorrow Haley was going to return to the DX and the day after and maybe find the spark she hopes is there. After all the people who make your heart skip a beat at first glance are always worth chasing after.

Haley returned to her house in high hopes. Upon entering the door she found her father reading the newspaper on their couch surrounded by marked unpacked boxes.

“Well?” Mr. Michaels inquired.

“Well what?”

“The car?” Mr. Michaels peered over his bifocals.

“Right, the car,” The car Sodapop Curtis was so graciously working on. “Tomorrow or the next day. He said he would change our oil too. I guess it needed it.”

“Really, our oil needed changing already? I changed it just last Saturday. Oh well, I’m sure this man knows better than I do.” Haley withdrew everything in her not to break out into song. She started for her bedroom so her father would not notice her broad smile but a thought came instead.

“Dad,”

“Yes,”

“When was the last time you got the breaks checked?” Haley said.

“The breaks?” He put the paper to his lap.

“Yeah, the breaks. When was the last time they got checked?”

“Well, hmm…” Mr. Michaels sat pondering for a moment. “When we bought it I suppose.”

“That was a while ago! Don’t you think we should get them checked out? Wouldn’t it just be horrible if they went out while you were driving?” Haley decided to stop at that, too over dramatic and her father might sense something.

“I believe you’re right, Haley. Good call, sweetie. I’ll call them after dinner.”

“No, no that’s alright. I can just tell him when I go tomorrow. Save you a little bit of trouble.”

“Alright then, it’s settled,” Mr. Michaels simply went back to his paper and Haley strutted down the hallway to her new bedroom. Along the way she passed her sister’s bedroom to see her unpacking boxes. Haley stopped and took a step in.

“Hi, Elle. How was your first day?” Ellie stopped and turned to her.

“Fine, different, weird. Yours?” She pushed a box over to clear a spot for two on the bed. For sixteen Ellie appeared older, almost as old as Haley.

“Same, were they nice?”

“Define nice,” Ellie rolled her eyes.

“Well I see. My day was like that too. Any boys?” Ellie broke into a quiet smile. “What’s his name?”

“You’re going to laugh,” When Ellie smiled so did her eyes, a beautiful shinning hazel.

“I would never,”

“His name is Ponyboy. I know the name is strange but he is so handsome, Haley you gotta see him. And he’s quiet, and smart, and he was the only one who was genuinely nice. Sounds too good to be true, right?” Ellie looked to her with hopeful eyes. Haley had heard those characteristics not too long ago.

“His last name wouldn’t happen to be Curtis would it?”

“Yeah! Yeah it is! How did you know,” Ellie smiled again and couldn’t stop fidgeting with anxiety.

“I just met his brother he works where dad took the car. His name is Sodapop,” Haley smiled back.

“That sounds just about right,” In the distance the girls heard their mother call for dinner. Haley stood from the bed and strode to the hallway. “Haley!” Ellie called after her, Haley came back and poked her head through the door. “What’s Sodapop like?” Haley smiled again then turned back around.

“He’s something,” Haley called to her. “He is really something…” Her final words were quiet murmurs only to be heard by herself.