Status: Completed

Psyche

25

“I have a few errands to do,” Girlie says to Zack. She fixes her hair into a single long braid down her back. Thick strands frame her face and she pulls some of them back with gold bobby pins. Zack watches her from the bed, as she preps herself in front of the vanity mirror. She grins at him in the mirror, lips pink and pale.

Zack’s known her for about three years now, and she still contains this glow he can’t explain. It’s a bright yellow and he can see it covering her as well as feel its warmth. Jamie used to have the same glow, except it was a dark gold and felt lukewarm. Now it’s a dimmed dark blue tainted with murky gray.

“Do you want to come?” she asks after spraying perfume on her body.

“I’m still exhausted from work. I didn’t get off till late,” he explains. “We can go out for dinner when you get back.”

“Okay, but Jamie’s at Alexandria and I don’t know when he’s coming home or if they’ll drop him off before I get back. Just letting you know.” She walks over to him, sits in his lap and wraps her arms around his neck. She kisses him.

He compares her kisses to other lovers from long ago, starting in his teens. Her kisses are never dirty; they’re always smooth and clean.

“I love you,” he tells her as she plays with the nape of hair at the base of his head.

“I love you, too. I’ll see you in a few hours, ‘kay?”

He kisses her one more time, and she grabs her purse and leaves the bedroom.

Zack’s been with a lot of people before he met Girlie. They all loved him, but after a while they would find he was not so perfect. Then he would either have to run away or get rid of them.

He has Girlie now. He doesn’t have to worry about her leaving.

He loves her.

He’s grateful for her and Jamie.